Author Topic: 8-man Kickoff rules  (Read 6954 times)

CoachJohn

8-man Kickoff rules
« on: March 23, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
Fellow Officials,

I am a new member on the forum.  It's a pleasure to meet you all.

I have few questions I would like to ask in regards to rules pertaining to Kickoffs in both 11-man and 8-man football.

1) 11-man: New requirements in Rule 6-1-3 for the kicking team. First, at least four members of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker

This may be an odd question, but according to the above rule I would only need a minimum of 9 players on the field to run a legal Kickoff play as long as I have four players on each side of the Kicker.

2) 8-man:  How does the Rule 6-1-3 apply to 8-man ball?  Near the end of the NFHS Rules Book there are some rule adjustments for 9,8 and 6-man ball. If I were playing in a 8-man league this upcoming season and the League states we have to play under NFHS rules how do I approach this situation with only having seven remaining players on the field.

3) Last question.  If playing 8-man Football what would be the minimum amount of players on can have on a Kickoff for it to be a legal play?  All remaining seven or less?

Thanks in advance for you time to answering the above questions.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: 8-man Kickoff rules
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Welcome to the board!

In answer to your questions:

1) Correct. You can KO with 9 and be legal, but why would you want to? Looks to me as if you are putting yourself in a disadvantaged position.

2) The rule change applies to 11 man. I would make the assumption 8 man changes are handled separately and will be out later this spring. Ralph may have some insight he can provide. Or give a shout to your state rules interpreter.

3) See #2
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:51:52 PM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline COLOUMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
I haven't heard how the kickoff changes will apply for 8-man or 6-man, but I am sure they will be covered this summer during our clinic (Colorado).

CoachJohn

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies and information.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Coach John, may you find it both enjoyable & and informative. The rule change would allow 6 players on one side of the kicker & 4 on the other in 11 man football. There will be restrictions added to 9,8 & 6 man but unsure what they are as my state only has 11-man.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
I know this can be a hot topic, but we do not make it a practice to allow a kick off with the incorrect number of players on either team.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
I know this can be a hot topic, but we do not make it a practice to allow a kick off with the incorrect number of players on either team.
I still can't figure out why anyone would want to KO with less than 11. What's the advantage to be gained? ???
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
Extrapolating, one could run an offense with only 3 players in the backfield.

Oh wait, I watched the area "home school" team do that last fall and score.