Author Topic: [NCAA] Picky, picky - or am I?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline sirhoagy

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
[NCAA] Picky, picky - or am I?
« on: August 26, 2017, 04:35:44 PM »
Worked a D3 game today as white-hat.  QB was barking out signals.  He lifts his right foot every time he wants the back to shift.  Back shifts, stops, still pattering his feet.  No problem here.

What I saw the QB do eventually was, when he lifted his foot (right foot), instead of putting it back down, he was putting it back down about a full step ahead of where his left foot was and moving his hips with it.  The first time I saw it, my brain said, "That could simulate a false start."  It wasn't a subtle movement, and, yes, I know, seeing a video of it would help.  I flagged it the 2nd time.  QB protested and said it's part of the natural cadence.  I responded that his body movement was exaggerated and can be construed as a false start - which in this case, that's how I construed it.

Coach asked, told him the same thing.  Coach told the QB to either drop his foot straight down from here-on-in or don't do it at all.

QB stopped doing it altogether.  There were no issues with him managing to take his team to a victory.

I keep thinking, "You are being too picky.  Defense didn't move when he did it."  Other part of me is saying, "That was a TECHNICALLY correct call....but you still should have left it go."

I know there's no video to show, but, based on what I'm saying: Let it go, warn QB, flag QB? 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: [NCAA] Picky, picky - or am I?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »
Without seeing it here it was I will offer.  The question is already in your mind that it was "picky", but it was enough that you thought something needed to be done.  You accomplished one thing and that was putting a stop to an action that was bothering you.  The question that comes is, could have you put a stop to it without flagging it?  That would accomplish your goal of not being "picky", but yet putting a stop to something that was bothering you.  I'm preaching to the choir here but that would be a good case of preventive officiating.  If you just chose to do nothing, then perhaps this QB would keep pushing the limits to see what he could get away with.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
[NCAA] Picky, picky - or am I?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »

That was my thought exactly Jason. If you didn't flag it but it bothered you, you should have told the QB about the issue, as well as the coach if possible.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
Agree with the others.  Try a "talk to" approach, first, if possible.  Similar to a snapper lifting or pushing the ball forward when he 'adjusts' the ball.  First time it happens, explain the illegality of what he is doing, suggest he stop doing it.  If he does, mission accomplished.  If he repeats, flag him.  Advising the coach can be helpful, too.

But, you are not nitpicking in recognizing the illegality of what he was doing.

Robert

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
If it wasn't abrupt and the defense didn't react, I'd probably let it go.  Would like to see a video clip though.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
I know of a few major conferences that, to my understanding, do get picky with this. - or at least did.
QB foot moves forward, QB is "moving fwd at the snap" in their eyes.

Interesting though, you do not see this with QB in these major conferences, so maybe they still do hold their feet to the fire with this.