Author Topic: Budget Cuts, Concussions, Registrations, Oh My!!!  (Read 16872 times)

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
Budget Cuts, Concussions, Registrations, Oh My!!!
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
So between Budget Cuts, having to be aware of concussions during games, and the on going litigation with the UIL I am for the first time not looking forward to officiating this season.  On top of this my local chapter has decided to force every person on a crew to go take a freaking picture.  Not send in a picture but go across town to the meeting location on a Monday that was assigned to us and take a picture.  If you are too incompetent to take a quality picture and email it in then you should not be officiating.  It is going to be bad next year with pay and getting paid.  Get ready for it.  Please respond the discussion board has been dead and no one ever posts to my chapters board.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Budget Cuts, Concussions, Registrations, Oh My!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »
We doing pictures as well.   I don't see the big deal unless the meeting is JUST FOR that purpose.  We have a regular meeting anyway so photos are just part of it.  And I would dispute the notion that anyone who can officiate could take their own picture.  2 different animals.  If you want the photos to look uniform, you need to have one person taking them, with one type of background and one type of lighting.  Otherwise you will get all sorts of stuff, i.e. too much face, too little face, too much torso, too little torso, shadows, etc etc etc

As for the possible financial issues, I think it best not to fall prey to the "doom and gloom" picture the politicians and media and painting. 

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
Coby, as Mike said, I can understand wanting the uniformity in the pictures.  If you saw last year's crew books, some of the pictures submitted looked downright awful.  I also thought having a meeting soley for this purpose was a bit of a waste of time.  The Campbell Center is a long drive for a lot of guys for this.

Getting paid...I'm already having problems with that!  HISD still owes me for four basketball games I called for them back in November but I suspect it will be worse this year.

Offline Coby

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
Yes a lot of the pictures looked awful.  My crew did not.  I went to each of their houses to take the picture with my good camera.  The point is if the crew does not care enough to take a quality photo that is on the crew.  Now I get to waste my first Monday of Spring Break traveling to the Campbell Center.  The whole process is what I am most upset about.  Throwing it at us with little time to adjust our schedules.  Who exactly thinks these pictures are a good idea?  If a crew does not care enough to buy a quality uniform it is on the crew.  Is the next thing going to be mandated uniforms supplied by the chapter? 

El Macman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
Whenever I find myself annoyed at traffic, or having to do something that may be inconvenient, I have trained myself to pause and remember that there are thousands of folks in Iraq and Afghanistan that would trade places with me in a heartbeat. I wouldn't, then, find it so troubling to take a couple hours or so to go get my picture taken. I don't have it so bad.

Bless the troops.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »
 ^flag

I'm one of those officials who trudged out to Campbell Center last night to do the pictures for the Chapter. I completely agree with TXMike in that taking the photos in this manner will make the roster book look a heck of a lot more professional than it already is. Next year, only those new crews or new people would need these photos to be made and that could be done at any timely scheduled meeting. Last years photos were generally OK, but this new method really leaves nothing to chance.

As far as the State budget cuts, the UIL freeze on 1204, registrations, et. al., I'm not exactly holding my breath for anything to come down the pike to give us any kind of increase in mileage rates since gas is now running about $3.50 per gallon with projections of it being up to $4.00+ in the very near future. I agree with one of my best friends in officiating who has intoned that junior high games will be the first to go along with some freshmen games. It definitely looks like the coaches will finally and unwillingly get their chance to officiate games that they cannot coach.
Mind you, the "more affluent" school districts might be better able to maintain the status quo, but by and large, the schools that don't have the funds are going to sadly have to resort to this format.

Maybe Governor Rick and the tiphat: Good UIL Dr. and his UIL minions will graciously offer to volunteer their time to cover these games!   z^

refereebrent

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
I agree Keith. Last night I was talking with one of our assigning secretaries and he said that one of the large surburban districts is thinking about moving at least their middle school and maybe their subvarsity to Saturday. Another large district might possibly drop all middle school athletics. Those districts that ran C games on Wednesday will either drop their C teams or it be entirely coach officiated, and they will get exactly what they paid for. Changes will be made.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Interesting information, Brent. What kind of cost savings will be realized by having the games played on Saturdays?

My take away from this is that it is going to take us newer guys longer to advance due to the reduced amount of games and hence fewer points we can earn.  Bummer.

refereebrent

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
The biggest savings will be no electricity costs for lights. Many years ago Joe Young who was AD for Aldine said every time he turned on the lights at Thorne Stadium it cost a minimum of $500. You know it is a lot more than that now.

fleetofoot

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
Reasoning from our districts is that Saturday games can be played earlier since there is no school with no lights. Stadium lights are expensive to start and run.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
Didn't even consider the lights!  There I go being master of the obvious again.   hEaDbAnG

That would make sense but they are also competing with all of the PeeWee games and also the six man and even 11 man varsity games on Saturdays.

Cooter

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
The Tyler Chapter took photos a couple of years ago - one of the members when out of their way to utilize his equipment and expertise - to date, none of the photos have been used for anything.  Don't even know if they are still around.  I hope that at the very least, your chapter uses the new photos and recognizes the effort it took on everyone's part to get them taken. 

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »
 ^flag

Houston's new photos will definitely be used. The current Houston Chapter roster book certainly rivals one that a college conference would publish and with the crew members photos now being added to each crew biography, I would think that the Houston book will truly be a model for all chapters to follow. My congratulations go out to the TASO Houston Chapter Board and to Tommy Moore for their hard work in putting this together. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the finished product!   z^

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
Don't know about you guys but I have not worked a Sat SV game in many years and I have no plans to.  I have never been a big proponent of C teams in football either.  Yes, I understand it lets the developing kids get a chance to play, but you have to make decisions to live within your budget.  Officiating expenses probably will not even be looked at very closely since that expense is so small in the big scheme of things.  Transportation and electricity are the more expensive items for athletics.

Cooter

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
^flag

Houston's new photos will definitely be used. The current Houston Chapter roster book certainly rivals one that a college conference would publish and with the crew members photos now being added to each crew biography, I would think that the Houston book will truly be a model for all chapters to follow. My congratulations go out to the TASO Houston Chapter Board and to Tommy Moore for their hard work in putting this together. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the finished product!   z^

I would love to see it.  Sounds like a great idea - if it's half a good as the Houston Chapter website - it will be exemplary. 

rickref

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Don't know about you guys but I have not worked a Sat SV game in many years and I have no plans to.  I have never been a big proponent of C teams in football either.  Yes, I understand it lets the developing kids get a chance to play, but you have to make decisions to live within your budget.  Officiating expenses probably will not even be looked at very closely since that expense is so small in the big scheme of things.  Transportation and electricity are the more expensive items for athletics.

I agree with doc. One good thing schools can do is get multiple SV games at same site. Example here we will have a middle school playing another on one day. the 7th grade A at one site and 7th B at another. Just play at the same site so you reduce the amount of buses being used.  That is just one simple way.

Cut the c d teir teams out completely. We all know the majority of these kids are not playing once they are seniors.

Have entry level freshmen etc. buy their helmets and have them reconditioned. They should last their career at high school.

Have one varisty game at home played on a Saturday afternoon.

Just my random thoughts.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
^flag

Make no mistake, I'm sure the finished product will be outstanding.  That said, I wish I had the "problem" of having to go get my photo taken for the varsity crew books.   ;)

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
 but why are the crews having pictures made.  just curious. 

Offline Welpe

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
A big one is to provide a roster photo book to the coaches for their picks just before the season starts.

Offline Coby

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
I agree with doc. One good thing schools can do is get multiple SV games at same site. Example here we will have a middle school playing another on one day. the 7th grade A at one site and 7th B at another. Just play at the same site so you reduce the amount of buses being used.  That is just one simple way.

The reasoning for a A at one site and a B at another site is timing.  The principals want the kids home at a reasonable hour so therefore you remove the sit around time before/after the games while the other team plays.  Now they will have to rethink this issue and weigh the cost savings.  However as mentioned above you will have to turn on the lights now with 2 stacked games.

When I was first starting out I hated singles because I needed the points.  Now I hate doubles because I want to go home.

Have fun competing with Pee Wee's on Saturday's.  Do I want to travel 40 miles roundtrip for a $70 dollar check and 2 games.  Or do I want to go down the street work 5 games get $300 cash and get fed.  

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
but why are the crews having pictures made.  just curious. 

^flag

Pictures are simply for the annual roster books, which are distributed annually to the chapter members as well as the  Greater Houston area coaching community.   z^

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Have fun competing with Pee Wee's on Saturday's.  Do I want to travel 40 miles roundtrip for a $70 dollar check and 2 games.  Or do I want to go down the street work 5 games get $300 cash and get fed.  

^flag

I can see some Varsity officials who may very well use that rationale on their Saturday games. After all, the Pee-Wee's seem to pay better than High School Varsity and has some rather nice benefits like the food and such!   z^

rickref

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
^flag

I can see some Varsity officials who may very well use that rationale on their Saturday games. After all, the Pee-Wee's seem to pay better than High School Varsity and has some rather nice benefits like the food and such!   z^

No lie. 30 bucks a game plus all you want BBQ ribs and burgers while you work.

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
No lie. 30 bucks a game plus all you want BBQ ribs and burgers while you work.

^flag

$45-50 a game for Pee-Wee's in the Greater Houston Area. Now I know why my Aggie son absolutely loves to work all those Saturday games!   z^

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:57 PM »
Well the schools have enough money to send their AD's to a resort for a conference... ;)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/hso/7462961.html

Budgetary struggles highlight THSADA conference
By JOSHUA BUCKLEY
LEAGUE CITY- With school districts across the state facing major budget cuts, members of the Texas High School Athletic Directors Association met for their annual conference with a focus on finding ways to limit expenses.

The attending athletic directors said it was nice to see they weren't alone in their budgetary struggles.

"It's not that misery loves company by any means," Houston ISD athletic director Marmion Dambrino said. "But it is good to know and listen to ideas of how others are dealing with these budget issues. It's all about how creative we can become with what it is that we are doing."

The THSADA concludes its five-day conference today at the South Shore Harbour Resort Conference Center in League City. Items on the agenda included sessions with speakers from the American Athletic Institute, the National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association and the University Interscholastic League.

There were also leadership training classes, as well as appearances by Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak and Texas A&M football coach Mike Sherman.

Clear Creek ISD athletic director Bill Daws helped host this year's conference, along with CCISD Coordinator Debbie Fuchs. He said along with providing a few days of relaxing and entertainment, the hosts also wanted it to be an productive trip.

"We want everyone to get something from the conference, as well as relax and have a good time," Daws said. "We tried to get some interesting presenters and help come up with ways to conquer budget cuts."

Dambrino, attending her first THSADA conference since taking over as the athletic director of Houston ISD, said the sessions were informative for both new and experienced athletic directors.

"We have a tough road ahead," Dambrino said. "In this day and age, with budgets what they are, it is important for all of us to get thoughts and ideas from one another. Everyone here is extremely passionate about their jobs. We want to do the very best for the kids all the time, so we are figuring out ways to do that."

Among the solutions discussed were the purchasing of equipment, transportation, staffing and different ways of scheduling games and events.

UIL executive director Dr. Charles Breithaupt spoke on Tuesday about the attention athletics receive during budget cuts because of the publicity the programs receive. School boards also debate the stipends coaches receive when expenses have to be cut.

"I want to give them the message of hope," Breithaupt said. "Why things are bleak financially across the state and across the national, parents and kids still want to participation in athletic programs. Really, athletics are the biggest bang for your buck that a school district can get. Research shows that students who participate in athletics attend school more regularly, focus in the classroom and have fewer discipline referrals.

"Knowing all of that, what better program can you have than that at a school?"