Author Topic: Question: Face Mask  (Read 2767 times)

wislerj

Question: Face Mask
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:50:53 PM »
Need some feedback on a situation we faced this weekend. Same offensive player (running back) was called for two face mask penalties on the same play - which ended up gaining almost 30 yards. First was called 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, second was called 30 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Called as a spot foul from the second penalty which actually ended up benefiting the offense as the ball was moved back 10 yards from the spot of the second foul. Correct call? Thanks for any feedback. 

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: Question: Face Mask
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
No. You have multiple fouls on the offense, both penalized behind the basic spot. The defense has their option of which foul to choose. The best option is to take the first flag, 5 yards behind the LOS.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
An offensive face mask is a pretty rare foul.  And this guy was called for it twice on one play?  I've seen it called once in the last 15 years, and that one was wrong!

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
If he would do it once, there's no reason to think he wouldn't do it again. In fact, it's probably likely.  :)

I've seen it numerous times and unfortunately, seen it not called when it should have been.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »
Face mask fouls committed by the offense are not called near as much as they should be. It happens so infrequently it seems to catch everyone off guard. By the time you realize what has happened it's one of those "what was that?" moments.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:04 AM »
I had one last year that I let the R talk me out of.  I got myself flustered when he started questioning me about it and lost track of which player had actually committed the foul, and which player was the one on whom the foul was committed.  Wasn't really happy with myself on the drive home.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
IMHO, our mechanics for the OP could be :

(1) Go to flag 30 yards downfield and signal ^no

(2) Go to flag 5 yards behind LOS, signal and enforce.

This is the obvious choice and doesn't need to be discussed with B's captain, only briefly explained.  Don't put the kid in the position of making the bad choice and don't lengthen the game any longer then is necessary. Don't bet the Patriots will lose two in a row. :)