Author Topic: Heart problems  (Read 6382 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Heart problems
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:57:01 PM »
The first time it happened was trying to beat out a grounder in a softball game. Blacked out, just dropped to the ground. Diagnosis was an electrical problem, one side of the heart beat faster in certain conditions. The affect was reduced oxygen to the brain. The brain said "Take a nap, now". We tried medication which worked for a year. Then it happened. 30 seconds to go in the first half. Punt, raced down the sideline....clock operator described it best "Picture perfect, squared off, approaching the rolling ball, waved arms to stop the clock, blowing whistle, then, as if someone shot you in the chest dropped on your back." Immediately woke up, trainer holding me down ( he irritated me, but meant well ) paramedics arrive, then the ambulance...everyone asks the same questions over and over ...name, day, where are we? Ambulance Paramedic stops mid sentence "Ray from Cross Bayou?" "Don't tell me you were one of my ball players" "No, Blue Jays, but we all wanted to play for you." "Good, cause all my kids are in prison"

Load me in the ambulance, Judy driving, John in back with me. I asked, no sirens and just flow with the traffic, no hurry. We stop at a traffic light, I asked "At the next light can you switch with Jill?" " Why?" "Because she's much better looking than you and I do not want to hold your hand." From the front we hear "I heard that." John stayed in back all the way to the hospital. Jill at the head John at the feet, they get ready to lift me and set me on the bed in emergency. "Stop, wait," they relax I look up at Jill. "Are you sure you can lift me? I don't want to be dropped on my head!" "Shut up or I'll drop you on purpose." They get me on the bed, she goes to get paperwork signed...John packing their stuff ...I didn't see her at the door " Hey John is she always that difficult to tease." She replies "Everyday, I especially like teasing dirty old men like you." She starts down the hall, John picks his stuff up ..." Good luck with her, you need it" from down the hall "I heard that!"

The verdict comes in, my Cardiologist delivers the news "I think it's time we put in a pace maker." " Is this the end of football?" "End? This keeps you vertical on a football field, I'm tired of 10pm phone calls from Emergency and ambulance rides. enough already." No problems since.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Re: Heart problems
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
The pacemakers they use today are intelligent. They will sense when your moving and breathing quickly and kick up your heart rate. My wife has had a pacemaker for years. She is able to ski and she completed a full marathon. Football shouldn't be a problem especially if you stay in shape.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Only the good die young Ray - so you should be here for quite some time yet  ;D
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
It is fortunate that you had great medical care at hand when you were in crisis.  I'm sure you can continue to officiate with a pacemaker, and you are certainly well armed with information when meeting with a Cardiologist. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:47:17 AM »
God bless.

Offline yarnnelg

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 08:58:31 PM »
I learned a lot. My cardiologist is referred to as an electrician. He sent me to another to check arteries, kidneys etc...the plumber. The plumber was an NCAA Official in the ACC.

My cardiologist explained that I represent 10% of the population because I don't anything before taking a nap. That was true until the last event, both arms and legs were like ants stinging just before I went down. After surgery, I had to run the clock for two weeks. No hands above the head until the wound healed. Got the OK to go back on the field. Excited, ready to get back in the saddle. Crew ready for me to be back. We walk out on the field and the psychological part hit. I got sick, knew my arms and legs were going to be swarmed again. Never experienced the sensation in my life. Just absolute dread. Third play running back turned on my sideline, 55 yard run. Stopped, squared off, whistle, arms stop the clock...I was back in stride, never looked back.  ^flag

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
When my aunt got her pace maker, she said it made her feel so much better, she thought everybody ought to get one.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
I've been OK'ed to try out my stents.  All nine of them.
Wish me luck.

Offline yarnnelg

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
I'm so crazy. In the operating theater, being prepped for surgery. Nurses explaining what they are doing, then it comes.
" Ray, I have to tie your hands down so that you don't scratch your face during surgery." "
"OK, but I have a question. Do you practice your knots?"
"All the time."
"Ever had anyone escape?"
"No, perfect average."
"Who do you practice your knots on?"
"My husband"
"Where is he now?"
"He better be tied up in the living room where I left him this morning."
The theater busted out in laughter, then someone put a cocktail in my IV ....maybe to shut me up.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:43:54 AM »
I'm so crazy. In the operating theater, being prepped for surgery. Nurses explaining what they are doing, then it comes.
" Ray, I have to tie your hands down so that you don't scratch your face during surgery." "
"OK, but I have a question. Do you practice your knots?"
"All the time."
"Ever had anyone escape?"
"No, perfect average."
"Who do you practice your knots on?"
"My husband"
"Where is he now?"
"He better be tied up in the living room where I left him this morning."
The theater busted out in laughter, then someone put a cocktail in my IV ....maybe to shut me up.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL