Author Topic: NFL - roughing the passer call  (Read 2556 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
NFL - roughing the passer call
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
Scroll down the link to watch the roughing the passer call. Does anyone have an explanation of why this was a correct call by the official?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224848750.html

Offline zebra41

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: NFL - roughing the passer call
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 08:57:05 PM »
I don't think it was the correct call. Bad angle, official called what he thought, not what he saw. In saying that, everyone makes mistakes, it is just unfortunate that this mistake was on one of the biggest stages on a day full of blunders.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
See the penalty from start to finish......if there is a player blocking your view and your view is interrupted ...See the penalty from start to finish.

I threw a block in the back flag on a screen pass while I was at the LOS. You see the track start and can almost read the player's mind. 26 launched, then suddenly a receiver blocked my view. 26 was headed in one direction and 82 in another falling away from each other. My hand was ready grabbing my flag. Flag out and I immediately thought, I was blocked from seeing contact. Runner down stooped the clock made sure the Umpire had the spot, then ran immediately to the only set of eyes looking at the action from the backside of the play. One question "Did 26 hit 82 from behind?" "No he missed, 26 left his feet to block and 82 tripped, there was no contact." "Wave off my flag, I'll explain at halftime."

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:15:56 AM »
I'm willing to bet that the NFL has instructed the officials to call RTP fouls strictly, and the referee or the umpire thought that the hand hit the QB's helmet. It definitely did not and there is no other contact that qualifies as RTP, as far as I understand the NFL rules.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
IMHO, it should have been "touching the passer" . tR:oLl