Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Utah Wings
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 10:56:54 PM »
Do the wings flip sides in the second half in high school games?
No in GA.
May depend on the State Association.
National Federation Discussion / Utah Wings
« Last post by zebraboy on Yesterday at 10:49:52 PM »
Do the wings flip sides in the second half in high school games?
National Federation Discussion / Re: Another free kick play
« Last post by bossman72 on Yesterday at 10:30:17 PM »
Anything by K that would have previous spot enforcement is eligible for the tack on.  That was the rule's intent.
« Last post by prab on Yesterday at 04:41:15 PM »
“During the kick” implies all action from snap until the kick ends. All the action included in the time frame between the snap and the the time the kick ends is included in the loose ball play we refer to as the kick. Any foul during that time period is subject to this exception, including fouls simultaneous with the snap.

For a free kick, the loose ball portion we call the kick begins with the kicking of the ball and ends when the kick becomes dead. Any foul occurring during this time frame is included in the exception.

The way I understand it, the intention from the rules committee is that any foul occurring after the kick has ended is not to be included in this exception, nor is any dead ball foul such as encroachment, etc. to be included.

+1     This makes perfect sense and I hope that the NFHS approves this interpretation of the new rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by CalhounLJ on Yesterday at 04:29:19 PM »
“During the kick” implies all action from snap until the kick ends. All the action included in the time frame between the snap and the the time the kick ends is included in the loose ball play we refer to as the kick. Any foul during that time period is subject to this exception, including fouls simultaneous with the snap.

For a free kick, the loose ball portion we call the kick begins with the kicking of the ball and ends when the kick ends. Any foul occurring during this time frame is included in the exception.

The way I understand it, the intention from the rules committee is that any foul occurring after the kick has ended is not to be included in this exception, nor is any dead ball foul such as encroachment, etc. to be included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by Badger1 on Yesterday at 03:57:43 PM »
This is the email officials have received today from our state association:

We’ve received several rule questions on the new rule addressing free and scrimmage kicks.

Q:  6-1-9b (NEW), 6-1-9b PENALTY (NEW), 10-4-2 EXCEPTION (NEW), 10-5-1j (NEW): New penalty option adopted for fouls by kicking team.

Rationale: In an effort to reduce re-kicks, further minimize risk and ensure that appropriate penalties are in place for all fouls, the committee has added an option for fouls committed by the kicking team during free and scrimmage kicks. The change would allow the receiving team all of the previous options as well as accepting the distance penalty at the end of the down.

However, when the rule book was published 10-4-2 EXCEPTION was changed to during a free or scrimmage kick down.

There is a significant difference between the two phrases. During the kick down includes activity after the kick has ended. I think that they meant to say during the kick, but that is not how it is now written. 

Q:  4th down, K punts but commits an illegal formation foul.  R returns the ball for a TD.  Under the existing enforcement for fouls during a scoring play, can R take the score and enforce the 5 yard penalty on the try?  Or is the phrase "during the down" significant in that the illegal formation actually happens prior to the down.  Since there is not necessarily "action" on an illegal formation foul. Say there is only 6 on the line and all are set. As in case book situation 7.2.1 B  I say 10-4-2a  previous spot if accepted. But other officials think it could be tacked on.

A:  The intent was “during the kick” not during the “kick down.”  The foul must occur during the kick. This foul occurs during the kick down so the new rule doesn't apply.  The foul must occur during the kick, not during the kick down as the rulebook states. A subtle but important distinction.
« Last post by VA Official on Yesterday at 03:32:13 PM »
Wisconsin governing body has just informed us that we are to use "during the kick" and not "during a kick down".

Makes sense to me.

Does this include action prior to the kick as well? (Illegal formation, motion, etc.) If not, this interpretation defeats the entire purpose of the rule; to minimize the number of re-kicks.
« Last post by bbeagle on Yesterday at 03:17:46 PM »
Wisconsin governing body has just informed us that we are to use "during the kick" and not "during a kick down".

Makes sense to me.

That makes no sense for an illegal formation by the offense on a 4th down punt.

This should be a 5 yard tack-on. This is the type of play this rule is meant to address, and not have a re-kick.
« Last post by Badger1 on Yesterday at 02:18:01 PM »
Prab,
Does that mean that a hold by K prior to a punt is then not subject to the new rule and is only enforced back at the spot of the foul and cannot be added to the succeeding spot?
NCAA Discussion / Re: Advice for new game clock/ Play operator
« Last post by TxBJ on Yesterday at 01:53:03 PM »
Play clock:  when the ball is snapped, reset the play clock. Don’t let it keep running down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10