Author Topic: Leaping  (Read 1835 times)

Offline sj_31

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Leaping
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
I read through posts here, so apologize if I missed this but want to be clear on my understanding of new leaping rule this year. 9-1-11-b, they deleted the language pertaining landing on a player, and understand it is now a foul to hurdle/leap the line, however I need clarification on the following play:

4/10 @ B-20. Linebacker B55 runs forward from the B-16 and leaps from the the B-20 (at the NZ). The leap is vertical/straight up-and-down in an attempt to block the kick. He does not land on any players.

I know they are removing the dangers of leaping the line however is the action above now illegal as well due to the language change/omission?

Thank you

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +327/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Leaping
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »
Check the definition of leaping. I don't have a book in front of me. Unless I am missing something, I believe the action you describe is not leaping.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +50/-44
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
No foul.  A straight up and down jump is not leaping (or hurdling). Leaping has a forward component to it.  If he doesn't go forward, then no foul.  The rule change was meant to prevent players from leaping (or hurdling) over opponents, with, or without, landing on them (or a teammate).  Unfortunately, the rule is ambiguous with regard to a player that doesn't go over an opponent at all, i/e., he manages to leap in gap in the line such that he doesn't really go over any opponent, and he doesn't land on anybody - just lands on his feet or falls to the ground - but FORWARD of where he launched (in/beyond the NZ).  Granted, such gaps are rare.  Even leaping over an outstretched arm could (should?) be considered as going OVER an opponent.  That would make it almost impossible to leap without going over some opponent.  But, if a player can manage to find a gap wide enough to leap through without going over an opponent (and not landing on anybody), we need to know what the rules-makers want.
I would hope RR will issue some clarifications. 

Offline sj_31

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
Common sense indicates what you describe should not be a foul. Unfortunately this is open to interpretation until RR issues clarifications as you noted. Some officials and supervisors tend to be more literal regarding the rulebook than others, which is why I posted hoping someone can point to official ARs or language supporting the change one way or the other. Thanks guys

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +9/-12
  • We are always learning

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +50/-44
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Rules Changes Video - Leaping
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:41 AM »
Unfortunately, the rules changes video offers no further insight of clarification about leaping.  In fact, the expression used, "...and that's the end of that..." would indicate there is no intent of issuing any further clarifications.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +223/-240
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
Just adding this to the record in case anyone searches leaping .  Came out in Sept.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
Suggest reviewing Steve Shaw's CFO video - "2017 Training Video - Mechanics and Intentional Grounding - August 22, 2017". There are several leaping plays that start the video.

Offline SJ3205

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »
Side Judges get proactive here....while your U is warning defenders about contact on the snapper the SJ can be talking to defenders who are lined up beyond the NZ--I added that last season in addition to talking to any defenders in position to create 3 on 1 contact at the snap. At least say something the first couple of times the ball is kicked.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +107/-4
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
Side Judges get proactive here....while your U is warning defenders about contact on the snapper the SJ can be talking to defenders who are lined up beyond the NZ--I added that last season in addition to talking to any defenders in position to create 3 on 1 contact at the snap. At least say something the first couple of times the ball is kicked.
I did that last year and the defender shook his head as if he understood and still did it. I had to explain it in detail after the play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 05:56:09 AM »
Just adding this to the record in case anyone searches leaping .  Came out in Sept.
Isn't that first play the same as OP's play?