Author Topic: 2018 Blocking Below the Waist  (Read 5991 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
2018 Blocking Below the Waist
« on: May 28, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
I know we still have not seen the 'final' rule language regarding the changes to Blocking Below the waist, but I need a little help understanding the part of the new rule related to stationary backs within the Tackle Box (TB), if anybody has any positive information.

In 2017, a stationary BACK, positioned at least partially within the TB, and at least partially within the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper at the snap, was allowed to block in ANY direction, and from the side or font of the opponent, until they, or the ball, left the tackle box.  That was 2017.

For 2018, according to the new 9-1-6-a-1, only linemen within the tackle box are permitted to block below the waist from the side, and then only until the ball leaves the TB.  Everybody else, and at all other times and locations, must block from the front, if blocking below the waist.  And, per 2018 9-1-6-a-3, "Players in motion at the snap or lined up outside the tackle box may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap."  I'm not an English language or writing scholar, but, by my reading of this language, a stationary back may still BBW TOWARD THE BALL, as long as the block is from the front. Motion man = restricted to from the front, and not toward the ball.  Back positioned outside the TB = restricted to from the front, and not toward the ball.  But, I see nothing that prohibits a stationary back, within the TB at the snap, from BBW toward the ball (as long it is is from the front).
Can someone corroborate this understanding of the new rule?  Or, contradict it, with something in writing?

Related, but not of such concern, is the definition of "...outside the tackle box..."  We don't see the word partially, anywhere, so that would 'seem' to mean that he must not have any part of his body within the TB to be considered "outside."  So, if his leg in inside the TB, then he isn't "outside."  Anybody have any confirming or contradictory information?

Robert

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: 2018 Blocking Below the Waist
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
Just my .02 based on how I've seen these interpretations go...the reason for eliminating low blocks is to prevent injury to players who dont see the block coming. Close line play, they allow it because the defender is so close to the OLman that he can see the block coming and prepare himself. The reason the crackback is illegal is because the defender is focused on either the lineman he is attacking or the QB and is not watching for a WR coming down the line to cut him. So that being said, I think backs will be allowed to do it. When they cut block back towards the ball it's to slow down a blitzer so he's going to see that coming.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
From a previous thread. 
The panel approved a package of rules with the goal of making it easier for players, coaches and officials to understand, execute and coach blocking below the waist.

The most noticeable change pertains to offensive blocks: The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.

Offline Dakota Dan

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
  • ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:11:55 PM »
Big 12 put out a video on BBW ... in it they say that the the stationary back in 2018 will not be allowed to block low from the side nor block low back towards the ball inside the tackle box (just the 5 interior linemen on the LOS can do that and that’s it)  I hope this helps clear things up.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »
Big 12 put out a video on BBW ... in it they say that the the stationary back in 2018 will not be allowed to block low from the side nor block low back towards the ball inside the tackle box (just the 5 interior linemen on the LOS can do that and that’s it)  I hope this helps clear things up.

Dan,
No, sadly, that is the cause of this confusion.  I believe that video was prepared some time ago, and the ‘narrator’ makes statements that are in direct conflict with the language of the proposed rules that we have seen thus far, AND in direct conflict with the Sec-Ed’s explanation of the rule changes he gave at the more recent National Replay Clinic.  In a video of that presentation, Mr. Shaw very clearly states that such a stationary back within the tackle box at the snap may, indeed, BBW toward the ball until he or the ball leave the TB.  The only difference from 2017 for this player is that his block must be from the front. That certainly follows the rule language presented, to date.  Who do we believe?
The urgency is in that summer clinics for all levels of football played under NCAA rules are beginning, and those involved with presenting the new rules to the masses would like to be able to do so with conviction, rather than supposition.
I was hoping this issue of conflicting explanations had already been brought to the attention of someone at a level high enough to get an authoritative clarification.  But, I guess not.

And, while we’re at it, what is “...outside the tackle box...”?

Robert

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »

Just saw that video the other night. There are definitely a lot of statements that do not match up with the written rule. Very sloppy in the rules language for a video from a major conference.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
The other interpretation I've heard consistently from people who have attended clinics but not yet from Shaw or Redding is the stationary back outside the tackle box is also prohibited from blocking if they go from one side of the ball to the other and still blocking in that direction. So let's say the RB is lined up even with the QB in shot gun but he is outside the right tackle. QB takes the snap and the RB moves toward his left and blocks a DE low rushing from the left side of the OL even after crossing the face of the QB and the original position of the ball because his original action is toward the original position of the ball. I don't believe this meets the wording or intent of the rule, but it sounds like it's being taught very consistently from the highest levels.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »
I haven’t heard it that way yet.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 10:50:13 PM »
The other interpretation I've heard consistently from people who have attended clinics but not yet from Shaw or Redding is the stationary back outside the tackle box is also prohibited from blocking if they go from one side of the ball to the other and still blocking in that direction. So let's say the RB is lined up even with the QB in shot gun but he is outside the right tackle. QB takes the snap and the RB moves toward his left and blocks a DE low rushing from the left side of the OL even after crossing the face of the QB and the original position of the ball because his original action is toward the original position of the ball. I don't believe this meets the wording or intent of the rule, but it sounds like it's being taught very consistently from the highest levels.

No, that is incorrect.  Any A player can always BBW toward a sideline, if that is away from the spot where the ball was snapped, and 1) not more than 5 yards beyond the NZ, and 2) not back toward their end line after the ball leaves the TB.  The rule is clear about that.

Robert

Offline Magician

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
No, that is incorrect.  Any A player can always BBW toward a sideline, if that is away from the spot where the ball was snapped, and 1) not more than 5 yards beyond the NZ, and 2) not back toward their end line after the ball leaves the TB.  The rule is clear about that.

Robert

That was my understanding as well, but everyone who has gone to clinics where Rogers and Steve spoke very consistently shared that is now considered a foul. It doesn't makes sense to me and isn't supported by rule, but they were very adamant and consistent.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »
I will concede that you have the advantage on me, as I don’t have the benefit of attending FBS clinics any more.  If I had a coordinator to whom to pose the question, I would do so.  Perhaps you could (?).  This definitely is an issue that needs resolution.

Robert

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »
In watching the NCAA 2018 Rule Changes Video, and in regard to A players outside the tackle box at the snap, I noticed that Shaw says that there is no change to their restriction on blocking below the waist toward the original position of the ball.  I take that to mean they can BBW toward either sideline, if they are blocking away from the original position of the ball at the snap (and in compliance with the other parts of the rule).  So, if, for example, a split left end runs right and passes the line drawn through the ball at the snap, and blocks below the waist from the front, within 5 yards beyond the NZ, toward the right sideline (or parallel to the sidelines, but not back toward his end line if the ball has left the TB), the block is legal.
As with many rules, those are a lot of words to describe something that is visually simple.

If anybody gets something different, in writing or video, from Shaw or Redding, please advise.  But that's what I'm going with until then.

Robert

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
That is correct. The “adjacent sideline” and all other similar language has been gone for a while. Now what matters is whether it’s toward or away from the original position of the ball. You see this a lot with wing backs who come across the formation and kick out the defensive end on the other side of the line. Even though he may have lined up to the right and blocked low to the left, it’s legal since he crossed the original position of the ball and is thus blocking away from that line.

Offline Magician

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 01:17:13 AM »
That is correct. The “adjacent sideline” and all other similar language has been gone for a while. Now what matters is whether it’s toward or away from the original position of the ball. You see this a lot with wing backs who come across the formation and kick out the defensive end on the other side of the line. Even though he may have lined up to the right and blocked low to the left, it’s legal since he crossed the original position of the ball and is thus blocking away from that line.
I've argued the exact same thing and been told by those who have heard directly from Shaw and Redding at clinics that it's wrong. I don't understand why yet since it's not supported by rule, but it has been 100% consistent from those who have heard it directly from them in an open forum. I haven't seen the video yet but it's possible they said that because going back to the original position of the ball hasn't changed. What allegedly has changed is the original position of the ball or someone outside the tackle box includes crossing the line through the ball and cutting is also going to be a foul. I guess we'll see.