Author Topic: Fumble Play  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Fumble Play
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
I’m posting this on both the NCAA and NFHS boards as the issue, itself, is handled differently outside the EZ but similarly inside the EZ.
I realize this is an Academic discussion; but, like me, some may find it an interesting exercise

An article was written recently by a national sports writer about “the dumbest rule that will never be changed until it costs a team in a Championship Game”.  It was directed, I think, at the NFL – but the interpretation is consistent in all Codes.  I heard about this argument on a sports-radio talk show; and listened to dozens of people trying to “explain” why they agreed the current interpretation is absurd.

The rule in question is the definition of a touchback – specifically when A fumbles or provides the initial force/impetus causing the ball to go into and out of B’s EZ.  As I said above, the NCAA and NFHS Codes handle this play differently OUTSIDE the EZ but SIMILARLY when the ball goes into and out of the EZ.
IT’S A TOUCHBACK

The obvious argument to support the current interpretation is that the rule is there to prevent the team in possession from gaining a scoring opportunity by intentionally fumbling the ball into B’s EZ when the runner feels he cannot reach the EZ.       
However, the article (and pundits) argue:
1. the ball should be returned to the spot where possession was lost and awarded to the offensive team
2. awarding a TB is unfair since the defense really never recovered (possessed) the ball.
3. team possession remains with A during a loose ball
4. there should be no “mystical” difference between the 1yd line and the goal line 

In other words, the pundits want this type of fumble handled the same way the NCAA (if not the NFL) handles fumbles that go forward out of bounds between the goal lines.

Both the Codes are clear that this play is a Touchback; yet the argument really is that there should be no difference between the 100 yards called the “field of play” and the 10 yards called “end zone”.  While I obviously find this to be counter-intuitive to the primary objectives of the game, neither Code provides clear verbiage to differentiate between the two areas.
So, if anyone wants to “come out and play”, feel free….[/color
]

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Fumble Play
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 08:15:52 PM »
Have you ever wondered why Touchback is in Rule 8 Scoring?
A Touchback is a type of score in which no points are awarded but the opponent does get possession.   The end zone is a special place much different than the field of play.  Fumbling the ball has consequences and a fumble that goes into the end zone has the potential of becoming a Touchback for the opposing team.  A ball that penetrates the goalline, other than from an incomplete pass, and becomes dead there, is going to score something.  It could be a Safety, Touchdown, Field Goal, or Touchback.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:19:12 PM by JasonTX »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Perfectly stated, Jason.

Let's not let the forward fumble OB rule muddy the waters.  I can testify that the touchback rule has existed, nearly as is, for more than 47 years (probably a lot more).  I don't have my books with me, but the I'm certain the forward fumble OB rule has only been around less than 20 years, and has nothing to do with the goal line.  That was put in to prevent deliberate advance between the goal lines by fumbling the ball forward and OB, which was usually being done in the immediate vicinity of the line-to-gain.  Fumbling into the end zone already had rules to cover those situations, and they simply remained as is.

Robert

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
Have you ever wondered why Touchback is in Rule 8 Scoring?

Not only I had never wondered I hadn't even noticed the weird placement, just accepted it is where it is!

Thanks for that, it's my early Christmas present :-) tiphat:

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 02:05:41 AM »
Not only I had never wondered I hadn't even noticed the weird placement, just accepted it is where it is!

Thanks for that, it's my early Christmas present :-) tiphat:

Note that what Jason said is no longer entirely true for us IFAF folks :)

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:44:14 AM »
Note that what Jason said is no longer entirely true for us IFAF folks :)

Do you mean the 7-2-5 amendment?

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »
Do you mean the 7-2-5 amendment?

Yup. (For those following at home, IFAF changed the forward fumble at rest rule so that it always belongs to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble even if it comes to rest in the opponent's end zone)

Offline FLBJ

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
I may be a little foggy on WHEN exactly this changed but in NCAA, the rule prior to about 1994 was similar in that a fumble which was NOT recovered by the defense but went into and out of the endzone was, in fact, given to the defense AT THE SPOT OF THE FUMBLE. The argument then was, 'well, if they want a touchback, they should recover it before it goes out'.

Anyone remember when exactly that change occurred?

Warning: you have to be old to remember this rule... ;)

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
IFAF rules that a fumble on the field of play that rolls forward into the end zone and dies there is not to be a touchdown, but to be spotted back where the fumble happened.

fumbles that roll forward into the end zone and then out of bounds in the end zone are touchbacks just as in the NCAA