Football Officiating > National Football League

deep outside guys?

(1/1)

lawdog:
Where would they be on a pass play inside the 20 yard line or so?  I would think they'd be on the end lines as soon as they read pass and the two line of scrimmage guys would be on the goal lines?  Yes? No?  I ask because in the Vikings/Packers game last night, GB's second TD was clearly dropped and not controlled until well out of bounds, the back judge was behind it and couldn't see the loose ball but I can' figure out why there wasn't another guy back on the end line?  With 7 guys on the field I don't know where else he would have been???  Of course if Childress understood football he would have challenged too, but I'm just curious about the mechanic...

cincybearcat:
SJ and FJ would line up on pylon in the snap until the ball is snapped from the 5 yard line I believe.  If a deep pass is in the air and they can see the GL is not going to be in play, they can leave the goal line and try to get back and help with the end line

JugglingReferee:
^ is correct.  However, I have seen one deep wing on the end line and the other on the goal line.  I think the ball was on a hash mark between the 5 and 10.

Big-Tee:

--- Quote from: cincybearcat on October 25, 2010, 12:43:07 PM ---SJ and FJ would line up on pylon in the snap until the ball is snapped from the 5 yard line I believe.  If a deep pass is in the air and they can see the GL is not going to be in play, they can leave the goal line and try to get back and help with the end line

--- End quote ---

Well said    tiphat:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version