Author Topic: 2020 Editorial Change to 6-3-12  (Read 2083 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
2020 Editorial Change to 6-3-12
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
Some of you may have been privy to this before the S-B Quiz 4, and may have already been aware of the 2020 editorial change to 6-3-12. I am not, and was not. But this is a good change, and it fixes much, but not all, of the problem with 6-3-12.
The purpose of this rule to prevent Team A players from disappearing into team areas during punts (in particular), then re-appearing at the area where the ball is returning the ground, where they can play the ball, or disrupt a receiver, or make a quick tackle after a catch, because they were “unchecked” while out of bounds. This rule solves that problem.
Before this editorial change, the rule applied during the entire down. Even during a 50-yard return, if a Team A player was OB voluntarily, then returned inbounds, that was a foul. This change fixes that.

Maybe someone else is aware as to whether or not this same editorial change will be made to Free Kicks. It certainly should.

However, I wish they would have taken the last step to completely fixing this rule. As unusual as it may be, it is not only possible for a Team A player to be OB voluntarily from B’s end zone and return inbounds, I have seen it happen, with huge implications.
Here is the problem:
FBS game, around 2010. This was a free kick, but it illustrates the same possibility as it could with a scrimmage kick (which is why it should apply to free kicks, also).
F/K , A-35. A11 legally kicks the ball, which returns to the ground at the B-15. B90 muffs the bouncing ball, which “shoots” toward B’s end zone, with players of both teams in pursuit.  Several players muff the ball further into the end zone.  With the ball about 1 yard from the end line, A88 overruns the ball, and steps beyond the end line, then turns and returns into the end zone, where he falls on the ball.
The crew rules touchdown. No one in the stadium knew any difference.

However, when the coordinator reviewed the game video, and saw this down, he immediately recognized that (morally or not), this should have been ruled as an illegal return to the field by A88, and penalized at the previous spot, and the F/K repeated.

Had this rule been enforced correctly, a great play by A88 would have been taken away. In truth, there is no advantage whatsoever for a Team A player in going OB from the end zone.  He dang sure can’t hide from anyone out there.

The fix for this is simple.  Make the rule apply only to Team A players that leave the field of play BETWEEN THE GOAL LINES.  That, combined with the 2020 editorial change, would completely fix this rule.

Oh, and if they don't make this apply to free kicks, then we'll have two different rules. No Bueno.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:35:04 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: 2020 Editorial Change to 6-3-12
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
I don’t like your fix because this would allow the punter to step on the end line and return, or step totally OOB and return.  In my opinion, you would need some special language for the punter in these situations.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
I don’t like your fix because this would allow the punter to step on the end line and return, or step totally OOB and return.  In my opinion, you would need some special language for the punter in these situations.

What is the advantage gained by the punter when he steps out of bounds and returns in the very short time between the snap and him touching the ball?

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
I just do not like the technical aspect of him being able to do that now.  What is the advantage gained by a small flinch of an A lineman if B does not go offside.  Some technical aspects need to remain as is.

That being said, there might be a slight advantage gained from As 7 or so back.  The Punter would be able to take a step backward to gain a little perspective or balance before stepping back inbounds to kick the ball.  Is this a stretch, maybe.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
6-3-12 has not always existed. Prior to that, there was no prohibition - and no need for a prohibition - of a player stepping OB then returning to catch the snap and punt the ball. The issue with the punter was an unintended consequence of 6-3-12, but is so unusual-to-rare that the rulesmakers (aware of the issue some time after 6-3-12 was born) chose not to try to fix it. But, as I have illustrated, the fix is easy. 

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:44:59 PM »
I have no idea what the editorial change is so I can't speak to that. But I would comment the current rule isn't to just to prevent an A player from hiding out in the sideline. It's also to prevent him from running around the blocker and stepping on the sideline without being blocked. He needs to keep his pursuit in the field of play similar to a receiver running a route.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
They changed the word “...down... “ to “....play...”, as in, “...during a scrimmage kick play...”, versus “...during a scrimmage kick down...”  So, once the kick play portion of the down ends, a Team A player may go OB voluntarily, and return inbounds.

This editorial change is presented in the latest Shaw-Blandino CFO quiz (#4), for reference in the first two questions.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:47:21 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
Oh... I like this one!
And I like your idea of making it illegal only between goal lines.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 06:40:18 AM »
That being said, there might be a slight advantage gained from As 7 or so back.  The Punter would be able to take a step backward to gain a little perspective or balance before stepping back inbounds to kick the ball.  Is this a stretch, maybe.

If he really can gain an advantage in that time of less than one second while still keeping half an eye on the ball, all the more power to him, IMO :)