Author Topic: 3-4-8 Feds add the Play Clock to Correct Timing Rule  (Read 3898 times)

Offline bjfb

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
3-4-8 Feds add the Play Clock to Correct Timing Rule
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Rule change 3-4-8 adds the Play Clock that can be corrected if an obvious error in timing is discovered prior to the second live ball.
I'm having trouble seeing where this can't be anything but a problem.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: 3-4-8 Feds add the Play Clock to Correct Timing Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:22:38 PM »
Not sure where that would be used. The play clock only applies to that play so what does it matter what it was 2 plays ago? I guess it could matter if two plays ago the wrong play clock was used, but you would only do something about it if it affected the game clock and then you have a game clock correction.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
An example: Play is dead. Snap the ball, play over. Coach says play clock went from 4 minutes to 3. R can reset the clock to recapture the lost time if it is done before the next snap. After ball goes live on second snap, cannot be corrected. If you officiate some of the schools like I do, clock malfunctions are not that uncommon. Makes the crew stay alert for this.

Offline bjfb

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
This is not about the game clock correction, it's about correcting the play clock after the play has been run that's going to create problems. Especially prior to the second live ball of the play that may be called in question.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:50:34 AM »
I haven't received my rule book but this must be a typo and addressing  the past rule for the game clock not play clock.  I can't see how we can go back and address the play clock, even an accepted DOG after a play has been run.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »
So if there is no visible play clock how is anyone going to know the play clock is wrong. I understand a game clock correction.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Rule change 3-4-8 adds the Play Clock that can be corrected if an obvious error in timing is discovered prior to the second live ball.
I'm having trouble seeing where this can't be anything but a problem.

What's your source on that?

Offline bjfb

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
The 2019 Rules Book on page 44, Rule 3-Section 4-Article 8 states:

The referee shall have authority to correct obvious errors in timing by the game or play clock if discovery is prior to the second live ball following the error, unless the period has officially ended as in 3-3-5.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
OK, I'm going to live with this wording.  We can correct the game clock, if an error is discovered prior to the second live ball following the error, this wording for the game clock was in there last year.  The rules committee instead of writing another subparagraph just included "or play" clock into the existing rule, realizing we can't make a change to the play clock. 

OK, I'm also grabbing at the wind.  They didn't think we wording through very well.  (what's new)
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:21:57 PM »
OK, I'm going to live with this wording.  We can correct the game clock, if an error is discovered prior to the second live ball following the error, this wording for the game clock was in there last year.  The rules committee instead of writing another subparagraph just included "or play" clock into the existing rule, realizing we can't make a change to the play clock. 

OK, I'm also grabbing at the wind.  They didn't think we wording through very well.  (what's new)
The only thing I can think of is let's say the offense is obviously trying to burn time at the end of a half. The play ends with 1:50 left on the game clock and the play clock is accidentally set to 25 rather than 40 and started. Nobody realizes it but the offense gets set up and snaps the ball before the play clock expired around 1:27. After the play is over the referee realizes there should be more time off the clock. Could he have the clock reset to 1:12 and set the play clock to 40 or possibly 0:57 (assume 15 more seconds would have run off before the play clock hit 25 on the next play) and the play clock at 25 seconds? This is all convoluted and something you should definitely avoid by being diligent about the play clock at the end of a half like we always have been.

Offline bjfb

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
I was advised a few minutes ago that the current wording is incorrect and the play clock is going to be taken out of 3-4-8. We just have to wait for the memo. Glad to see “they” realized the error and are willing to correct it.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
That would make sense, as the play clock does not run while the ball is live, but the game clock does. The rules makers may have been thinking about basketball, where the game clock and shot clock do run simultaneously while the ball is live.

Thus, the only time the play clock could be corrected,  is during the dead ball in which the error occured. The game clock is not stopped to make a correction to the play clock, unless the play clock runs down below 25 before the ball is ready for play.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
They didn't think we wording through very well.  (what's new)

Huh?    cRaZy

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
This rule might be around to address a situation like:

Team A calls timeout at 7:30 in the 2nd quarter. (Time is marked down by officials).
Team A runs the ball up the center, quick play, Team A huddles and coming out of the huddle they look at the play clock, it's at :07 (with 7:12 on the game clock). The team hurries to the line, to hike it in time before the play clock expires and the line can't block, the QB is almost sacked, but gets the ball away towards a receiver and the ball is thrown incomplete.

7:00 left on the clock.

The coach then looks puzzled at why the team ran out of time on the play clock, why the play was a mess, etc. - then realizes that they should still have until 6:50 to hike the ball.

This should be something that could easily be remedied by the referees as they have the time for the timeout marked on their cards and one official can say that, yes, the play clock was at :01 when the ball was snapped. The math doesn't make sense, so the referee can have authority over this and correct it.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
Correct it how?  With a “do-over”?  I can understand a correction if a DOG was called, but not after they ran a play.