Author Topic: Signal 48 for Blindside Block?  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Signal 48 for Blindside Block?
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
This question is mainly for one of the North Carolina officials, but feel free to weigh in if you have definitive knowledge on the subject.

There is a slide supposedly produced by NC going around that indicates there is a new signal (S48) for a blindside block that is to be given following S38 for a personal foul. Nothing official from the Federation seems to be available on the topic, either in the rule book, pre-season guide or PowerPoint.  Is this something unique to NC?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Signal 48 for Blindside Block?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
At our clinic in May, we were shown a slide that included a signal of "two closed fists touching at the knuckles" in front of the Referee's chest.  We were told that this is the new signal for a blindside block.  I'll see if I can find it in writing.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:49 AM »
Page 71, 9-4-3n : " PENALTY....Arts. 3a through g, l, N -Other Personal Fouls - (38) - 15 yards " . Page 91 , "LOSS OF 15 YARDS ..... #20. Blindside block.......9-4-3n  {signal} 38"

Looks like just a plain ole' boring personal foul signal !

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
In the state rules clinic, that slide was shown with the new signal. I guess we're doing it, but it was glossed over pretty quickly so I don't know if it's something that Mark came up with on his own or what.

It's slide 19

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
In the state rules clinic, that slide was shown with the new signal. I guess we're doing it, but it was glossed over pretty quickly so I don't know if it's something that Mark came up with on his own or what.

It's slide 19
The PPT I have from the Federation does not include that slide. As a matter of fact, several slides appear to be different. Thanks for the input.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
At our clinic in May, we were shown a slide that included a signal of "two closed fists touching at the knuckles" in front of the Referee's chest.  We were told that this is the new signal for a blindside block.  I'll see if I can find it in writing.

I believe I saw this signal on one of Mr. Sumstine's videos out of Hawaii.  No specific direction here in KS....I'm giving the "plain 'ole boring personal foul signal."
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
Page 71, 9-4-3n : " PENALTY....Arts. 3a through g, l, N -Other Personal Fouls - (38) - 15 yards " . Page 91 , "LOSS OF 15 YARDS ..... #20. Blindside block.......9-4-3n  {signal} 38"

Looks like just a plain ole' boring personal foul signal !
Ralph, so what's the story with the conflicting information. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation. 😲
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
Ralph, so what's the story with the conflicting information. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation.
I'll go with the rule book until I hear/see from the NFHS. If I hear/see anything on this from NFHS, I'll pass it on to you guys.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Ralph, so what's the story with the conflicting information. I'm sure there's a plausible explanation. 😲

Plausible Explanation:
Some experimental states used S38 - S48 to indicate a BSB foul during the experiment. Quite simply because it made it much easier to identify BSB fouls (from the Referee signal) when fast forwarding thru tons of video. (You could then go back, watch the play, and comment. )
My understanding is several (former) experiment states (Oregon, Hawai'i,  and Colorado) will continue to use it for 2017 and in the interim while some others, (North Carolina, Florida)  have joined in on the fray.
Though an unofficial NFHS signal for 2017, it is likely Signal 48 will be submitted for NFHS Rule Committee consideration for the 2018 season as 2018 is a print year for the Official Manual.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:36:17 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
Plausible Explanation:
Some experimental states used S38 - S48 to indicate a BSB foul during the experiment. Quite simply because it made it much easier to identify BSB fouls (from the Referee signal) when fast forwarding thru tons of video. (You could then go back, watch the play, and comment. )
My understanding is several (former) experiment states (Oregon, Hawai'i,  and Colorado) will continue to use it for 2017 and in the interim while some others, (North Carolina, Florida)  have joined in on the fray.
Though an unofficial NFHS signal for 2017, it is likely Signal 48 will be submitted for NFHS Rule Committee consideration for the 2018 season as 2018 is a print year for the Official Manual.
Best explanation I've seen thus far. Thanks for the clarification.
- Vince Lombardi