Author Topic: Who rates in your state ??? ....a test  (Read 35210 times)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Who rates in your state ??? ....a test
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
I'm not a Tennessee fan by any means but I've met Pat and she is first class all the way. I have the utmost respect for the lady.
2005, I'm keeping the clock for the Women's Final Four.  One of the guys in my office is Pat's neighbor in Knoxville.  He tells me to be sure to say hello for him.

On Saturday, I meet her at the shoot around, mention my friend's name, we have a nice talk.  On Sunday, she wins her semi-final game, and in the tunnel afterward, we get into a discussion about her son.  She is worried because her son will miss school on Monday and Tuesday.  I say, "Come on, how often does mom get to play for the National Championship?  Oh, excuse me, actually, it's pretty often!"  We both chuckle and go on.

At the Championship on Tuesday, she comes out on the court, shakes hands with Gene Auirema of UConn, and then comes over to the table and shakes hands with me.  Reporters and others at the table ask why she stopped to see me, are Pat and I friends?  Told them, no, she is just a class act.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:36 PM »
On a non-sports  (well, maybe not if you're a hunter) matter, the TSA announced that they confiscated 1,813 guns in 2013 at airport security checkpoints. #2 (Dallas- 96) and #3 (Houston -68) are from non-NFHS states, but the leader ,with 111, is the home airport of a very active and beloved member of our forum. Who can name the airport???? ??? Editor's note : This is a payback from many years ago, when said member posted on a now-defunct website an article of Maine coeds forming a topless parade. nAnA :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:16:14 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
I missed that article but I'll take a wild stab at Atlanta-Hartsfield.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

wvoref

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:45 PM »
I'd have to think for WV it would be Jerry West.  After all we named the state after him.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
Of course Hartsfield-Jackson airport (ATL) leads the list:

1.  It's the busiest passenger airport in the world.  More people means more knuckleheads.
2.  TSA agents that must be paid on commission.  Our agents are downright militia-like compared to many other airports.
3.  A state with more than average number of gun owners, although our percentage (40.3%) is virtually identical to Maine (40.5%).

Doesn't surprise me in the least.  What is bad/shocking is that TSA found over 100 GRENADES in airport screenings.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
Of course Hartsfield-Jackson airport (ATL) leads the list:

1.  It's the busiest passenger airport in the world.  More people means more knuckleheads.
2.  TSA agents that must be paid on commission.  Our agents are downright militia-like compared to many other airports.
3.  A state with more than average number of gun owners, although our percentage (40.3%) is virtually identical to Maine (40.5%).

Doesn't surprise me in the least.  What is bad/shocking is that TSA found over 100 GRENADES in airport screenings.
I know it's the busiest but does it have the most originations (where TSA would be involved)?  I think it's business is due to be a hub/layover location.  I've flow through Atlanta a lot more than I've flown to Atlanta.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
I know it's the busiest but does it have the most originations (where TSA would be involved)?  I think it's business is due to be a hub/layover location.  I've flow through Atlanta a lot more than I've flown to Atlanta.
ATL is number one since 1998 because it is such a large hub.  95 million passengers a year.  It was once said that when you die, it doesn't matter if you are going to heaven or hell, you'll have to change planes in Atlanta.  But even some connecting passengers have to be rescreened by TSA.  It used to be all international passengers, even if you weren't connecting!  It also would be anyone returning to the main terminal.  With the new international terminal, you only have to be rescreened if you are connecting to a domestic flight.  So TSA is involved with some of the connecting passengers as well.

LAX is number one in origination and destinations (O&D).

Offline COLOUMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
For Colorado, I'd vote for either Jack Dempsey or Dutch Clark.

Looking ahead to the 21st century vote, my nod is for 2x WSM Brian Shaw, just because he could likely toss me 20 yards through the air... but is a nice enough guy to not do it. ;D

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
I'd have to think for WV it would be Jerry West.  After all we named the state after him.
Good job, WV, I polled my buddies on the rules committee and your Mike Webb was one of only three that got it without any hints. The other two guys were from NH & MINN - anyone care to venture the leading jocks from those states??

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »
For Colorado, I'd vote for either Jack Dempsey or Dutch Clark.

Looking ahead to the 21st century vote, my nod is for 2x WSM Brian Shaw, just because he could likely toss me 20 yards through the air... but is a nice enough guy to not do it. ;D
Very good, COLOUMP, Dempsey was # 1. Dutch Clark was #7, #2 was a Supreme Court Justice (I beleive).

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
 The other two guys were from NH & MINN - anyone care to venture the leading jocks from those states??
[/quote]

NH - Carlton Fisk

MN - Bronko Nagurski

stevestod

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »
In Vermont it's probably a skier like Billy Kidd, although I would have voted for John LeClair, first American to score 50 or more goals three years in a row (thanks to Lindros).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
The other two guys were from NH & MINN - anyone care to venture the leading jocks from those states??

NH - Carlton Fisk

MN - Bronko Nagurski
BINGO -Good job!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »
In Vermont it's probably a skier like Billy Kidd, although I would have voted for John LeClair, first American to score 50 or more goals three years in a row (thanks to Lindros).
Good try,Steve.Billy Kidd was #2 and LeClair was #4. Right sport but wrong sex on #1!! :)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
ND = #1 Roger Maris, #3 Daren Erstad (#2 was Phil Jackson), Hafner wasn't listed -remember these are pre-2000. Indiana = the "Bird - Man" was #2, #1 was same sport but different role. Good job!!! :)

The Wizard of Westwood...John Wooden!  He grew up and got his coaching start in Indiana.  He graduated from Purdue and coached at Indiana State before taking the job at UCLA.

I just read an entry on him on Wikipedia and found an interesting "what if".  He was also being pursued by Minnesota at the time.  He preferred to stay in the Midwest but a nasty cold spell prevented the UofM from calling him with his offer in a timely manner.  They didn't call until after he accepted the UCLA offer.  And now you know the rest of the story.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
You nailed it, Magician - thanks for the interesting info on Wooden -truly a class act.

wvoref

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 12:39:23 PM »
Very good, COLOUMP, Dempsey was # 1. Dutch Clark was #7, #2 was a Supreme Court Justice (I beleive).

Would assume #2 would have to be Byron "Whizzer" White.  Played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but just a tad before my time.

wvoref

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:30 PM »
Good job, WV, I polled my buddies on the rules committee and your Mike Webb was one of only three that got it without any hints. The other two guys were from NH & MINN - anyone care to venture the leading jocks from those states??

Have to admit that WV is probably one of the easiest states to pick #1.  Not really sure who was #2.  Would guess one of the Sams, Huff or Snead (and not sure he counts).  Of course it could be a college coach.  In the 21st century 4 of the last 5 national champs have been coached by WV natives.  And surprisingly WV natives coached 11 national football champs in the 20th century.  Anybody have any idea who the coaches are and how many each won?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
PA would be tough... just off the top of my head (skewed toward football)

Ditka
Dorsett
Namath
Montana
Jim Kelly
Marino
Curtis Martin
Darrelle Revis

...and that's just western PA

I'd say Arnold Palmer, but I don't think of golfers as "athletes"

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
Didn't Wilt Chamberlain have a PA connection?

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
Excellent, Bob, Lewis #1, Barry #2, Harris #3, on Jeter on list - had he "paid his dues" before 2000??? tiphat:

REPLY: A few I didn't dare say: Joe Theismann (author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Football" [fitting I think]) and Tony Siragusa (possessor of the largest head I've ever seen on a football field).
Bob M.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
Have to admit that WV is probably one of the easiest states to pick #1.  Not really sure who was #2.  Would guess one of the Sams, Huff or Snead (and not sure he counts).  Of course it could be a college coach.  In the 21st century 4 of the last 5 national champs have been coached by WV natives.  And surprisingly WV natives coached 11 national football champs in the 20th century.  Anybody have any idea who the coaches are and how many each won?

Well, Bobby Bowden is one, dadgummit.

wvoref

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Bobby wasn't born in WV. The 15 national champions in the 20th & 21st century were coached by native born West Virginians.  Unfortunately none have ever occurred at WVU.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
Would assume #2 would have to be Byron "Whizzer" White.  Played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but just a tad before my time.
:thumbup tiphat:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »
Sam Huff was #6; a girl was # 2; # 3 is the single season RBI record holder; no sign of Sam Snead.