Author Topic: 2013 NFHS Footbll Rules Changes  (Read 37249 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: 2013 NFHS Footbll Rules Changes
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
The one tricky one is going to be 3rd and less than 10 with the goal line the LTG.  In those cases, it may actually be worth the DPI if there is a good chance the ball will be caught.

So now the defense is encouraged to foul?  SMH.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
So now the defense is encouraged to foul?
Unfortunately, that's what's fixing to happen....  :o
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
 pray:; Please, let it not be so.

They send out a questionaire and then they pull out THIS?!
This will make the horsecollar evolution look well thought out. :!#

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
The problem is, there are those on the committee that equate the LOD with an automatic first down, and the only way to get rid of the LOD was to do away with the first down.

I don't equate the two AT ALL.  I don't think we had to get rid of the first down to make the two "equal".  But there are a group that do, I know one personally, and we have had this debate before.  The only way you were possibly going to get he (and others) to give up the LOD was to make the two "equal".  Call it the Missouri Compromise of high school rule making.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Might as well make it a spot foul then, well except for OPI.... which would be spot of the pass I guess...., geez   cRaZy.

Mike L

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
I still don't understand why they could not just make OPI 5 yds and LOD just like all the other offense LOD penalties.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
If given the choice, I would keep it the way it is rather than take them both away.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Change IS coming. Book it.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »
...and here they are:

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (February 7, 2013) — In an effort to continue minimizing the risk of injury in high school football, three additional rules will take effect next season to address helmets coming off players’ heads during games.

These three risk-minimization additions were among 10 rules changes approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee at its January 18-20 meeting in Indianapolis.

All rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

As a follow-up to last year’s rules change that requires players to sit out one play if their helmet comes off while the ball is live, the committee approved three additional rules that are extensions of last year’s change.

An illegal personal contact foul was added to Rule 9-4-3 to state that “no player or nonplayer shall initiate contact with an opposing player whose helmet has come completely off.”

In addition, a new listing in Rule 9-6-4 will state that it is illegal participation “for a player whose helmet comes completely off during a down to continue to participate beyond the immediate action in which the player is engaged.”

“With its continued focus on risk minimization, the committee determined that a helmet-less player shall not block, tackle or otherwise participate beyond the immediate action in which the player is engaged when the helmet came completely off,” said Bob Colgate, NFHS director of sports and sports medicine. “The penalty would be a live-ball, basic-spot foul.”

The committee also added language to Rule 3-5-10 to clarify that if the helmet comes completely off during the down or subsequent dead-ball action related to the down – and is not directly attributable to a foul by the opponent – the player must leave the game for at least one down, with the exception of halftime or overtime intermission. When this occurs, an official’s time-out shall be called.

“Player safety has been and will continue to be the top priority for members of the NFHS Football Rules Committee,” said Brad Garrett, chair of the NFHS Football Rules Committee and assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association. “These rules changes regarding helmet-less players are more examples of the group’s commitment to minimize risk within the game.”

Perhaps the most significant rules change next season will be one that reduces the penalty for pass interference. While the 15-yard penalty will remain for both offensive and defensive pass interference, the loss of down has been removed for offensive pass interference and the automatic first down has been eliminated for defensive pass interference.

“Offensive and defensive pass interference and the penalty structure related to these fouls has been debated many times in recent years,” Garrett said. “Proposals that either deleted the loss of down or the automatic first down – but not both – failed to gain support among committee members. The proposal to eliminate both components, thus not upsetting the balance between offense and defense, was the key factor in the adoption of the new rule.”

Another change at high school football games next year will be the expanded use of communication devices. In specific situations, coaches, players and nonplayers will be allowed to use any form of communication technology.

This expansion of the rule allows the use of communication devices during authorized conferences outside the nine-yard marks, on the sidelines and during the halftime intermission. Use of communication devices by players except conferences outside the nine-yard mark continues to be prohibited.
In Rule 2-4-1, the committee clarified the rule approved last year regarding the definition of a catch, which stated that a receiver is required to establish possession of the ball and contact the ground inbounds while maintaining possession – regardless of the opponent’s action.

“The committee clarified the definition of a catch such that an airborne player who has forward progress stopped inbounds and is carried out of bounds by an opponent before contacting the ground is awarded a catch at the spot of forward progress,” Colgate said.

In Rule 9-3-8, the committee added another provision to the rule enacted last year regarding contact by the kicking team against members of the receiving team. The new provision stipulates that the kicking team may initiate contact once the receiving team has initiated a block within the neutral zone.

The committee also approved the addition of a 15-yard penalty to the existing option of accepting an awarded fair catch for kick-catch interference.

Finally, in Rule 8-3-3, the committee clarified that the touchdown scoring team is the only team that can score on a try, and in Rule 1-5-3 the committee modified the rule regarding the wearing of towels.
- Vince Lombardi

Jason Kramer

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »
If I was a coach, I'd encourage VERY aggressive DB play in goal-to-go situations.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
Glad to see the LOD and automatic first down both dropped on PI. As has been argued in the past DPI was usually a first down with the 15 yard markoff and the LOD on OPI was the harshest penalty in HS football.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
Glad to see the LOD and automatic first down both dropped on PI. As has been argued in the past DPI was usually a first down with the 15 yard markoff and the LOD on OPI was the harshest penalty in HS football.
"Usually" being the key word. In long yardage passing situations DBs are now being given a license to steal. I don't know why, but I have a feeling removing the AFD won't last more than a year or two.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
I don't like losing the AFD, but I suppose it's a trade off for the LOD.  As the release said, the LOD made that the most brutal penalty we had, so I like seeing that gone.  I suspect that Rulesman is right, and the AFD will return some time soon.

I'm not surprised that the additional rules about the helmet coming off suring the down showed up, either - once NCAA did it, I figured we'd see them sooner or later.  Also dislike seeing the "carried out" exception show up for forward progress, but I'm not surprised by that, either.  And 8-3-3 has GOT to be a reaction to the 1-point safety in the Virginia Tech bowl game.

"The committee also approved the addition of a 15-yard penalty to the existing option of accepting an awarded fair catch for kick-catch interference. "

Does that mean KCI will now have the options on 15 yards with rekick, or take the awarded fair catch and tack on 15 from there?

younggun

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
With reguards to the KCI thats what I think it means... give them the awarded fair catch and 15... tee up the ball and kick it though the uprights....lol

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
I'm not surprised that the additional rules about the helmet coming off suring the down showed up, either - once NCAA did it, I figured we'd see them sooner or later.

Matches the NCAA

Also dislike seeing the "carried out" exception show up for forward progress, but I'm not surprised by that, either.

Matches the NCAA

And 8-3-3 has GOT to be a reaction to the 1-point safety in the Virginia Tech bowl game.

No, it was always the intent of the rule, but there was language that wasn't clear.  This makes it clear.

The 1 point safety still exists in FED, but with tries dead on possession by B, it is a near impossiblity.  The ball would have to be loose on the field, with B adding a force that put the ball in the end zone, where they recover.  It COULD happen, but if it does, send film, because I would like to see it.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:26 PM »
With reguards to the KCI thats what I think it means... give them the awarded fair catch and 15... tee up the ball and kick it though the uprights....lol
No..options will be 15 yards replay down, 15 yards from spot of foul, or awarded fair catch.  None can be used together.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
No..options will be 15 yards replay down, 15 yards from spot of foul, or awarded fair catch.  None can be used together.
What am I missing:
The committee also approved the addition of a 15-yard penalty to the existing option of accepting an awarded fair catch for kick-catch interference.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
15 yards from the spot of the foul has not been an option in the past.

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
Tampa Steve is correct. If they take the 15 yds no AFC. They cannot put the ball on a tee for a field goal try.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
You can accept the result of the play, you can take an awarded fair catch 15 yards from the spot of the foul, or you may take the 15 yards from the previous spot.  Since it is an awarded fair catch, you still have the free kick option.

Apparently, some state interpreters have misinterpreted this and are giving out incorrect information. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
You can accept the result of the play, you can take an awarded fair catch 15 yards from the spot of the foul, or you may take the 15 yards from the previous spot.  Since it is an awarded fair catch, you still have the free kick option.

Apparently, some state interpreters have misinterpreted this and are giving out incorrect information.
bingo

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »

So you get the 15 yards and still keep the option for the free kick.  Wow - it's still going to be rare, but it potentially became a whole lot more appealing.

younggun

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
The DPI AFD is not going to be a factor 90% of the time. The time it will be is on the 3/25 plays and all the plays where the Line to Gain is the Goal line. It is also going to make OT a lot more interesting. I can just imagine all the guff from parents and coachs now that NFHS football is the only rule book in North America that does not give the AFD, that thinking we screwed something up. Some have been coaching/parents of the game for a awhile and still do not know the Dead Ball on an encrochment foul...............................

On a side note... (mainly because I do not feel like starting a new thread for this) does anyone know anyone on here who calls in the NCAA DIV II MIAA?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:57:44 PM by younggun »

cbailey

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
The DPI AFD is not going to be a factor 90% of the time. The time it will be is on the 3/25 plays and all the plays where the Line to Gain is the Goal line. It is also going to make OT a lot more interesting. I can just imagine all the guff from parents and coachs now that NFHS football is the only rule book in North America that does not give the AFD, that thinking we screwed something up. Some have been coaching/parents of the game for a awhile and still do not know the Dead Ball on an encrochment foul...............................

On a side note... (mainly because I do not feel like starting a new thread for this) does anyone know anyone on here who calls in the NCAA DIV II MIAA?

Thanks

younggun.....I don't personally work MIAA, but there are several in my high school association that work in the MIAA.  What do you need?

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
With NF becoming the only code in the history of pass interference to drop the automatic first down for DPI, I'm seriously thinking of sitting next year out.

In my 19 years of doing this, there have been a lot of rule changes, some of them as big, and some of them as stupid, but none of them simultaneously as big, as stupid, and as detrimental to the quality of our work environment.