Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Momentum exception: or not
« Last post by zoom on Yesterday at 09:55:47 PM »
This is clearly a Safety if the penalty is accepted under NFHS rules. (The result is different under NCAA rules).
The Momentum Exception is off because the ball left the end zone. (8-5-2 Exception). The foul occurred during B37's run (which includes the loose ball) so the basic spot for enforcement is the end of the run and in the end zone. Under All but One, that will be the enforcement spot. Since the enforcment spot is in the end zone, it is a safety. If the penalty is declined, it will be B 1/10 @ B-6. But, A will certainly accept the penalty. 10-3-3-b, 10-4-4, 8-5-2-c

In NCAA, since the forward fumble OOB is returned to the spot where the run ended, it never left the end zone and the Momentum Exception would still be ON. In that case, the end of the run would be the momentum spot, the B-4. Under 3 and 1, the penalty would be enforced from there and it would be 1/10 for B ay the B-2.
National Federation Discussion / Momentum exception: or not
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 05:58:26 PM »
I will try to get the Board back to football.

The following is causing discussion as to the correct answer.

Team A 3/5 from the B39 yard line.  Team A's pass is intercepted by B37 at the B4 yard line.  B37, after the interception, continues with momentum into the EZ and attempts to run out.  He is hit and fumbles.  The ball rolls into the field of play going OOB at the B6 yard line. During the attempted return B58 blocks below the waist at the B8 yard line.

Which statement is TRUE:
      A.  This is a touchback. 
      B.  This is a safety.
      C.  Team B 1/10 at the B3 yard line.
      D.  Team B 1/10 from the B2 yard line

Any insight to the correct answer will be appreciated.  Rule reference, etc.
I cannot find a case play concerning the above situation.
General Discussion / Re: Withdrawal Symtoms
« Last post by GA Umpire on Yesterday at 05:51:27 PM »
Whomever, however got this going again, Thank you.
AMEN!

Something we can agree with AL about.
General Discussion / Re: Withdrawal Symtoms
« Last post by AlUpstateNY on Yesterday at 05:15:40 PM »
Whomever, however got this going again, Thank you.
General Discussion / Withdrawal Symtoms
« Last post by JasonTX on Yesterday at 04:55:11 PM »
Life is back to normal now. ^good
Texas Topics / Re: 40-second clock for Try
« Last post by TXMike on June 01, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
I think the issue will be after KO returns when we are spread out and trying to get new ball set up quickly.  I would expect liberal use of 25 sec pump up.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Here We Go....
« Last post by TampaSteve on May 31, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sorry, more to say......

In Maine, football is considered to be the most expensive sport.

In Maine, several schools still can't afford a 5th official for varsity.

In Maine, several schools consider dropping football every year.

In Maine, the need to purchase replay equipment and visible play clocks (if 40'' clock passes) may drive some schools to drop football.

IMHO, dressing like the "big guys" with our wide-striped shirts and polecat pants is one thing. The addition of replay and play clocks, to be like "the big guys" (NCAA & NFL) at a big unfunded expense to the schools is another.

IMHO, football is the best team sport there is (excepting sync. swimming) and a sport that develops teamwork, hard work and lifelong friendship bonds for our youth like no other. Let's keep our game simple, enjoyable and a strong tool in developing the character in our youth. MOST IMPORTANT : Let's keep our game. Driving up the expense of an already expensive sport may become a deterrent to schools with already cramped expenses.

IMHO, this is only my opinion about my state. Would be of interest in hearing yours......

:sTiR: Enough ranting...off for a sea-worm taco  tiphat:
Ditto. Well said
« Last post by CalhounLJ on May 31, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I just don't understand this attitude. We make a mistake, and rather than owning up to it and doing what we can to fix it, you want to just say "Welp. Sorry." Most of us aren't ok with just accepting mistakes, why should the public be ok with it? Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it? That's just insane.

We've been officiating this way since the inception of football. I am all about correcting correctable errors when they occur. If we can give a down back, or reverse a completion call with the aid of the other officials, or anything else I can't think of at the moment, I say let's do it. At the same time, I am against going over every play with a fine-toothed comb, holding up the game to peer at videos, and the overall perception that the officials have to be completely perfect every time on every call. Football was doing fine before this age of technology.
« Last post by FLAHL on May 31, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »

+1 Ralph - on everything except the sea-worm taco.   8]

Seems like the national news, as well as our local news, is full of stories about low teacher salaries and difficulties with school board budgets.  We have 14 (I think) football playing public high schools in our county, and I can't imagine they're going to pay $50,000 for video equipment.

I also can't imagine that any 2 camera video system is going to provide enough proof to overturn plays.  So in addition to adding time to the game, we're also going to have to deal with coaches who react badly when their challenges are not upheld.
« Last post by edtude on May 31, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

Sorry, more to say......

In Maine, football is considered to be the most expensive sport.

In Maine, several schools still can't afford a 5th official for varsity.

In Maine, several schools consider dropping football every year.

In Maine, the need to purchase replay equipment and visible play clocks (if 40'' clock passes) may drive some schools to drop football.

IMHO, dressing like the "big guys" with our wide-striped shirts and polecat pants is one thing. The addition of replay and play clocks, to be like "the big guys" (NCAA & NFL) at a big unfunded expense to the schools is another.

IMHO, football is the best team sport there is (excepting sync. swimming) and a sport that develops teamwork, hard work and lifelong friendship bonds for our youth like no other. Let's keep our game simple, enjoyable and a strong tool in developing the character in our youth. MOST IMPORTANT : Let's keep our game. Driving up the expense of an already expensive sport may become a deterrent to schools with already cramped expenses.

IMHO, this is only my opinion about my state. Would be of interest in hearing yours......

Agree completely. Our county dropped Freshman football due to cost and several schools do not even field a JV squad. Less than half of our schools have the ability to fill up their stadiums and we are talking less than 5000 seating capacity. Only one of our schools has a small sized HD screen on their scoreboard with replay capability but they were directed by the county not to do so. This is an expense that I do not see our athletic departments absorbing. It would have to come from the Boosters and there again the disparity among the schools is dramatic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10