Author Topic: Correctable Error  (Read 6181 times)

johnharrison

Correctable Error
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
I've been assured this is correct, but it still doesn't feel right.

Basketball

Score is 60 (A) - 60 (B)

90 seconds left in game.

Team A is fouled.
Referee mistaken awards 1 and 1 (though team is in double bonus)
They miss.
Team B rebounds, takes the ball downcourt, works for a last shot, which they miss at the buzzer and prepare for overtime.

But the error is pointed out, and since there hasn't been two live balls,
 "the error is corrected" giving Team A their second free throw, which they make.

Now the score is 61- 60.

Is this the final score, or does Team B get the ball back with the score 61- 60 and 90 seconds left on the clock?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Correctable Error
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
61-60... game over. There are no "do-overs" when it comes to the clock. There are some things you read on Fearless that you should actually believe.  ;)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

johnharrison

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »
Yeah, that sounds like what I had heard.

Seems like an area where we will expect a different application in 5 years.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:49 AM »
Seems like an area where we will expect a different application in 5 years.
I wouldn't bet the farm on that. I've been associated with the game for well over 40 years and the correctable error rule has been the same for that entire period of time. I don't know why you would expect it to change.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

johnharrison

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
The same reason hidden ball plays were removed from football.

It's not fair to the team affected to not know the game situation.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
The same reason hidden ball plays were removed from football.

It's not fair to the team affected to not know the game situation.
Apples and cantaloupes. EVERY play in football is a hidden ball play.
- Vince Lombardi

johnharrison

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »
(well actually I meant to refer to the type of plays in which the defense is lead to believe the ball is not in play when it actually is...but that is apple and oranges but was still banned as being unfair)

The basketball game which started this discussion is at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of4svENhiqw

But as I now (might) understand it, there is a second live ball so it should NOT have been corrected.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
Copy and paste from my post on FF:

The 2nd live ball occurred when the thrower-in gained possession of the ball out of bounds. You can clearly hear the horn go off after the ball was inbounded, so there is no doubt the ball became "live" after the made basket to tie the score.

The error - failure to award a merited free throw - is defined in Rule 2-10-1a.

Rule 2-10-2: "In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has started."

Rule 6-7-1: The ball becomes dead when a goal is made.

Rule 6-1-2b: "The ball becomes live when, on a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower."

Unfortunately, the failure to award a merited free throw at that point was not correctable.
- Vince Lombardi