Author Topic: Super Bowl LI Game Assignments  (Read 10463 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Super Bowl LI Game Assignments
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
R   51   Carl Cheffers
U   64   Dan Ferrell
HL   79   Kent Payne
LJ   45   Jeff Seeman
FJ   67   Doug Rosenbaum
SJ   109   Dyrol Prioleau
BJ   30   Todd Prukop

Replay: Tom Sifferman

Alternates:

Referee: Walt Coleman
Umpire: Tony Michalek
Short wing: Mike Spanier
Deep wing: Michael Banks
Back judge: Greg Yette
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
Congrats to all!

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
Re: Super Bowl LI Game Assignments
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
I had the pleasure to work on Cheffers' chain crew at Wembley and both he and Kent were great to work with.

Carl even wore an http://ifaf.org/ polo to their pregame meeting that they let us sit in on:-)

Very pleased for the two of them and the rest of the crew making the big game too.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Mike Pereria column from Sacramento Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/super-bowl/article129710844.html

It's worth repeating:

"If they succeed, no one will read a thing about them on Monday. If they fail, officiating will be a topic of conversation and debate throughout the offseason."

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
A great crew for what will hopefully be a great game. GO PATS!!!

Offline timhedge

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
Great job by the crew tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hezekiah

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
The crew had an excellent game.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
Was anybody else hoping that Belichek would elect a fair catch kick with 3 seconds left? I saw him yelling at Edleman to fair catch when he called the timeout and, you know, if anybody was going to do it (and know to do it), it would be him. Granted, he caught it at the 35 so it would have been... not a gimmie.

That would have been a heck of a bucket list item for the crew.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
Was anybody else hoping that Belichek would elect a fair catch kick with 3 seconds left? I saw him yelling at Edleman to fair catch when he called the timeout and, you know, if anybody was going to do it (and know to do it), it would be him. Granted, he caught it at the 35 so it would have been... not a gimmie.

That would have been a heck of a bucket list item for the crew.
How many seconds were left when Edleman completed the FC? It put the ball at Pat's 37 = 73 yard FG. IF he missed it, under NFL rules, I believe the Falcons could take the ball at 37 = possible 54 yd. FG attempt if there was any time left. A great game with a great pre & post-game -President & Mrs. @ the coin toss FlAg1 and the Commish passing out the trophies nAnA.....and OH,YESS.....

aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »
That was my immediate thought when Edelman gave the FC signal. A fair catch kick field goal for the win in a Super Bowl would have been the greatest play in the history of the game. And yes Ralph, if it was unsuccessful and I touched by ATL, they would get it at the spot if the kick. However, there were only three seconds left and the clock starts when the ball is kicked. So I doubt there would be any time left for the falcons to run a play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
That was my immediate thought when Edelman gave the FC signal. A fair catch kick field goal for the win in a Super Bowl would have been the greatest play in the history of the game. And yes Ralph, if it was unsuccessful and I touched by ATL, they would get it at the spot if the kick. However, there were only three seconds left and the clock starts when the ball is kicked. So I doubt there would be any time left for the falcons to run a play.
Does the clock start on a free kick before it is touched in NFL?? In NFHS the clock wouldn't start until legally touched.

Offline BrendanP

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
Ralph, here's the verdict from an actual attempt by Phil Dawson of the 49ers (at least when this game was played) against the St. Louis Rams (I still haven't gotten used to saying Los Angeles :P)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VZAB_mwVDEQ

The clock starts as soon as foot hits ball in this situation, so provided the ball became dead, Atlanta wouldn't have had any time. Frankly I wouldn't have tried it had I been Belichick for fear of another Alabama kick-6 fiasco.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:33:35 PM by BrendanP »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:15 AM »
Frankly I wouldn't have tried it had I been Belichick for fear of another Alabama kick-6 fiasco.

The one thing Saban apparently DIDN'T learn from his mentor.   hEaDbAnG

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
Actual rule reference for clock timing is 4-3-3:

ARTICLE 3. FAIR CATCH KICK DOWN. The game clock operator shall start the game clock for a fair-catch kick down when the ball is kicked.

And there's the other loophole that had time expired on the punt, the Pats would have been able to extend the game by an untimed down to fair-catch kick., 4-8-2(e):

ARTICLE 2. PERIOD EXTENDED. At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

[...]

(e) If a fair-catch is signaled and made, the receivers may choose to extend the period by a fair-catch kick down (10-2-4-a). If the first or third period is not so extended, the receivers may start the succeeding period by either a down from scrimmage or fair-catch kick (11-4-3). 

Please note, that period extension is NFL only! Don't let your local high school team do that, as much as you would like to see the fair-catch kick.

Offline BrendanP

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
Actual rule reference for clock timing is 4-3-3:

ARTICLE 3. FAIR CATCH KICK DOWN. The game clock operator shall start the game clock for a fair-catch kick down when the ball is kicked.

And there's the other loophole that had time expired on the punt, the Pats would have been able to extend the game by an untimed down to fair-catch kick., 4-8-2(e):

ARTICLE 2. PERIOD EXTENDED. At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

[...]

(e) If a fair-catch is signaled and made, the receivers may choose to extend the period by a fair-catch kick down (10-2-4-a). If the first or third period is not so extended, the receivers may start the succeeding period by either a down from scrimmage or fair-catch kick (11-4-3). 

Please note, that period extension is NFL only! Don't let your local high school team do that, as much as you would like to see the fair-catch kick.

Am I reading this right?  In the NFL, a team electing to try a fair-catch kick with time expired in the 1st or 3rd quarter has a choice of which direction they want to kick?  That could be a huge advantage in an outdoor stadium.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
I would think a period EXTENSION would be completed prior to changing ends. Common sense?
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
Am I reading this right?  In the NFL, a team electing to try a fair-catch kick with time expired in the 1st or 3rd quarter has a choice of which direction they want to kick?  That could be a huge advantage in an outdoor stadium.

I believe that's the loophole in the loophole of the event that has literally never happened and I've got a bigger chance of winning the Powerball and Megamillions on the same day (while being attacked by a shark that is being struck by lightning) than ever seeing the situation arise. I'm sure the rule will be fixed in 50 years when it does actually occur. Maybe.

I would think a period EXTENSION would be completed prior to changing ends. Common sense?

The team has their option to extend the period to kick at the current end or not to extend the period and elect to kick as the first play of the next period at the opposite goal.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
The team has their option to extend the period to kick at the current end or not to extend the period and elect to kick as the first play of the next period at the opposite goal.
Isn't that what I said, wingman? What am I missing here? ???
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
Isn't that what I said, wingman? What am I missing here? ???

I was pointing out that the extension is not mandatory. If they choose to extend the period, they don't flip ends, as you said... but they could also choose NOT to extend the period but still choose the fair catch kick, flip ends and kick the other way.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
Gotcha.
- Vince Lombardi