Author Topic: sportmanship.....  (Read 1583 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
sportmanship.....
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
I'm on a roll today so there is one other topic of interest to me.

I've seen plays where the receiving team on a kick-off has a player lie down in an attempt to hide in plain sight. As an official how do you know that the player is not injured? Does the team always tell the officials before the game that they might use that tactic during the game?

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
Re: sportmanship.....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:41:06 AM »

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
Re: sportmanship.....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
I saw that and thought that it was a concise, logical response to the situation. Easy to ask “what’s the big deal” with this little bit of trickery? To me it isn’t just about this particular situation, but about others that would most certainly emerge as coaches/players try to come up with something to get an edge. How about no fair catch signal followed by fake (Gatorade) vomiting, as a wild example. The recent discussion regarding fair catch signals, and the attempts to confuse the kicking team are both related to the issue of player safety... in my non-official opinion of course. Per the letter of the law there would not be a foul if the kick receiver held his arms out horizontally, with no waving, and then put one hand up to shade his eyes from the sun. Posts on this board make it clear that different officials have vastly different interpretations of the written fair catch rule. Is it any wonder that coaches/players try to push the envelope in an attempt to gain an advantage.