Author Topic: Game review 3 from Redding - 'deke' and run by NT legal  (Read 2156 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Game review 3 from Redding - 'deke' and run by NT legal
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:42:16 PM »
Well, there you have it.  The 'deke' and run play by North Texas is now legal.  Redding says he visited with Shaw, and together, they concluded this is legal.

While I concur that the rules don't prohibit this, I am very surprised that they are going to allow this to continue.  I really, really thought we'd get a bulletin declaring this tactic to be UNS, and put an end to this.  But, with this ruling, I believe we'll see a spike in KCI calls, and late hit calls.  It will only take one more cheap TD or a receiver getting severely injured as a result of this ruling to get a rule change, sooner or later.  Hopefully, sooner than later.

Robert   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:14:50 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline ElvisLives

Re: Game review 3 from Redding - 'deke' and run by NT legal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
After watching the entire video, looks like Replay had a rough week, all across the country.
A big learning week, I think.

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
I thought they might say to blow it dead as the ball carrier gave up his advance. But I certainly didn’t think they’d say let them keep doing it.

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
Just thinking that the NT returner wanting to call for a fair catch next time might be wise to get his hand way above his helmet and wave it like he's trying to flick a booger of his finger.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »
Just thinking that the NT returner wanting to call for a fair catch next time might be wise to get his hand way above his helmet and wave it like he's trying to flick a booger of his finger.

Didn't watch the game, but I'm told by very reliable sources that every punt to NT thereafter was fair caught, AND UA folks took steps to ensure he didn't try that again, if you catch my drift.  I fear that this will only escalate to a really serious injury.

Robert

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
Someone's going to get seriously hurt because of this and we're all going to have egg on our face.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »
This is one where I really like the IFAF variant from NCAA that adds

The ball is dead when:
Rule 4-1-3-s "When all players in the vicinity of the ball stop playing and/or believe it to be dead."