Author Topic: dropping his cap  (Read 4670 times)

Offline craigyok

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
dropping his cap
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
I know in the college and NFL, whenever a player of A steps out of bounds during a play, you mark the spot where he reenters with your hat.  Is there such a thing NFHS?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: dropping his cap
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
If he's forced out, he's allowed to return at the first opportunity, so there's no need to mark where he re-enters.

Technically, if he steps out voluntarily (which should really read "untouched by B", but whatever), we mark the spot where he returns with a flag.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
'dropping the cap' is not an NFHS mechanic.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
There is no federation mechanic.  However many associations, mine included, do mark the spot where the player went out of bounds, not where he came back in.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

mbyron

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Technically, if he steps out voluntarily (which should really read "untouched by B", but whatever), we mark the spot where he returns with a flag.
It's worse than that: the rule says "intentionally"!

In Ohio, we use our cap for this. It's in the Gold Book!

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
I've never understood this.  The foul occurs when he reenters & participates.  Why mark where he (intentionally/voluntarily/untouched by B) stepped out?

mbyron

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:38:04 AM »
I've never understood this.  The foul occurs when he reenters & participates.  Why mark where he (intentionally/voluntarily/untouched by B) stepped out?
This is an unusual (and harsh — 15 yard penalty) call, and I think the hat is somewhat about perception. Most players commit this foul by stepping out of bounds and re-entering instantly, so the hat also marks the spot of re-entering. But it also tells everyone that the official saw the foul and is not making it up post hoc.

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
Most players commit this foul by stepping out of bounds and re-entering instantly, so the hat also marks the spot of re-entering.

I'd just as soon have a flag down.  It can be waved off if the player doesn't participate.

At my age, and with my hairline, I look for any excuse to keep my hat on!     tiphat:

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
I'd just as soon have a flag down.  It can be waved off if the player doesn't participate.
The problem with that is you don't have a "flaggable offense" just because he steps out. Not just yet, anyway.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
The problem with that is you don't have a "flaggable offense" just because he steps out. Not just yet, anyway.

Which is why I pointed out that it could be waved off.

We do the same thing if there's DPI downfield, but the ball was tipped at the LOS.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
Which is why I pointed out that it could be waved off.

We do the same thing if there's DPI downfield, but the ball was tipped at the LOS.
You are correct in that downfield DPI is a flag but there is a caveat if the pass is tipped at the line - all bets being off. However, it is not a foul for merely stepping off the field and there is no reason to throw a flag until specific acts (return and participate) occurs at a future point in time. Your comparison is apples and oranges.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi