Author Topic: Officials' error calls back go-ahead touchdown  (Read 57618 times)

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6

NJOfficial

Re: Officials' error calls back go-ahead touchdown
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
I don't like to throw officials under the bus, but that is bad.  I can understand if it is a tricky call with a lot going on but that can't happen.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Which is why protests SHOULD be allowed for rules misapplications.

There is also a very damning statement in the article from the OSSAA:

“If we tried to go back and replay a game every time an official erred, you can imagine what that scenario would be like. We’d be replaying games all the time.”

So they are saying officials err "all the time".  If so, your training and selection procedures aren't very good!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
Sometimes an inarticulate response to a difficult hypothetical question is just a poor choice, that may have been better left unsaid, rather than have any meaningful conclusion about anything else.  Which is why, often, the less opined, the better.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:33:18 AM »
I can't believe that anyone would throw a flag for a sideline problem on the last play of the game unless there was purposeful contact in the restricted area. And screwing up the enforcement is unforgivable.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:20:46 AM »
I can't believe that anyone would throw a flag for a sideline problem on the last play of the game unless there was purposeful contact in the restricted area. And screwing up the enforcement is unforgivable.

I can't read the article (I suspect it's region blocking) however comments say there was 1:04 left in the game.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
Ouch. That's not just a crew in Oklahoma. That's a crew of (I would assume) at least five officials that were assigned a quarterfinal game screwing up a pretty basic rules enforcement. One could make a pretty big argument that there's something wrong with a system that allows those guys to advance that far without pretty basic rules knowledge.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
Ouch. That's not just a crew in Oklahoma. That's a crew of (I would assume) at least five officials that were assigned a quarterfinal game screwing up a pretty basic rules enforcement. One could make a pretty big argument that there's something wrong with a system that allows those guys to advance that far without pretty basic rules knowledge.

We're all susceptible to a "brain freeze".  The only value of a mistake is the opportunity to reflect on how, and why, it happened, so we can avoid repeating it.  Referee's don't make rule mistakes ALONE, they are the responsibility of the entire crew.

All Referee's should
WELCOME decisions being questioned by crew mates.  The Referee gets an opportunity to reflect on his decision, and convince his crew mate that he's correct, or discover that he was incorrect and avoid stepping in a pile of "mistake".  Either way, it's a win-win for the Referee to STOP and consider whatever question is being raised

Shoottv

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
I know the crew they are from an association close to me. They are VERY experienced and a well regarded crew. I believe they may have done state championship games in the past.
   I have seen the tape and have no problm withe the flag. There was 1 coach on the field 5 yards and another he has to run around to avoid collision in the restricted area
When he throws the flag nobody knows the outcome of the play, so being a TD has no bearing on the flag. Kid gets tackled at the 30 and we never hear a word about it.
    Which brings up the point that the coach could have asked for an officials conference on the application of the rule. Which means the coach didn't know the
enforcement. So up to this point I'll defer to the crew.
      I'm done with that.
      I have no idea what they were thinking on the enforcement. I can't think of a worse way to totally screw a team out of a victory. Serious vapor lock and all 5 are ultimately responsible. They will receive an official repremand and be barred from playoffs which will probably resort in the crew breaking up and at least a couple of retirements
    Knowing these guys my take away is more "there but for the grace of God go I." Rather than that the crew is horrible,  untrained or just bad. Horrible mistake but don't get too high and mighty that it couldn't happen to you or yours. Two weeks ago I would have bet a thousand dollars this crew wouldn't have screwed it up either

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
Couldn't open the article.  How did the crew actually enforce the (questionable, at best) penalty?

Shoottv

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
Sideline interference. They enforced from previous spot rather than subsequent spot..
I have no problem with the penalty I subscribe to the concept that if it's a foul in Q1 it should be a foul in Q4. Or its a quick slide to; it's holding unless you have to call back a long run.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Officials' error calls back go-ahead touchdown
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

I can beat that. We had a semi-final game in our district Friday where there was a fumble at the 2 going in on 4th down. Ball rolled into EZ recovered by A. WH brought ball back to 2 and gave it to the other team. Said A couldn't gain any benefit from fumbling forward.  NFHS rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbailey

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
Story/Comments removed because this situation in Oklahoma is about to turn into a legal battle. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:35:44 AM by cbailey »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
I trust the local police officer cuffed the sucker-punching fan and charged him/her with assault.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

cbailey

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
Story/Comments removed because this situation in Oklahoma is about to turn into a legal battle.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:36:01 AM by cbailey »

cougar729

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »

This is a mini-Ferguson type of situation. 

Really? Burning buildings and looting going on down in Oklahoma because of a playoff game?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »
This is a mini-Ferguson type of situation.
This isn't even close to a mini-Ferguson situation, and to compare the two is ludicrous.

This is a crew that made a bad mistake.  There was then a stupid reaction by coaches and fans.  No one died.  No businesses were ruined.  I don't defend for one second the actions of the coaches or fans.  I can see why they felt that way, but I don't excuse them.

But to compare this to Ferguson is like others comparing football to going into battle.  When the opponents start shooting back, then you can make that comparison.

cbailey

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:36:26 AM by cbailey »

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »
Is Oklahoma a state that has made violence against a sport official a felony?

cbailey

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
No......

OKLAHOMA

Oklahoma Stat. Ann. Tit. 21, Section 650.1 provides: Every person who, without justifiable or excusable cause and with intent to do bodily harm, commits any assault, battery, assault and battery upon the person of a referee, umpire, timekeeper, coach, official, or any person having authority in connection with any amateur or professional athletic contest is guilty of a misdemeanor and is punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding one year or by a fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars ($1,000) or both such fine and imprisonment.

cougar729

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »

Everyone here knows I didn't mean to compare the atrocities going down in Ferguson to a football game.  Very poor choice of words, but not at all the intent and you know it.  Please step down from your high-horses and get a grip.

Not on any horse, you're the one who said it, and then expect other people to interpret the way you intended, why even bring it up in the first place?

Moving forward, it sounds to me like the state is doing what it should, "sorry, but game's final, crew is scratched from this point forward."

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »
Comment removed                                                 -
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:03:31 AM by Tom.OH »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
Sometimes an inarticulate response to a difficult hypothetical question is just a poor choice, that may have been better left unsaid, rather than have any meaningful conclusion about anything else.  Which is why, often, the less opined, the better.

"Silence can't be misquoted", and "a closed mouth gathers no feet."

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 08:39:29 AM »
As a side note, the coach did not question the enforcement, just the actual call itself.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/3914921097001

I too had issues reading that first link that was posted, but with enough other clicks, I got around it -- but I also found a link to a video of the play at the same newspaper site. It looks like one of the Douglass coaches (complete speculation on who it is) let the media video tape his computer while he shows video of the play. The guy makes a comment during the video -- "Nobody touched him. Did you see that?"

Clearly, he was initially upset that the call was made at all, but then had his anger justified due to the incorrect enforcement.

However, the guy running down the field well behind the play, 5 yards on the field, who then goes off and stands behind the LJ at the 10 -- I don't think that was a coach, but I don't know who it was. A penalty charter or something? Coaches seem to be wearing orange and at least cognizant of the team box.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
Crew should be punished and sounds as if they are.

School should be punished by the state athletic association for lack of security and actions of school personnel.

If reasonable actions are not taken to increase security, I would have no problem with the officials in that area refusing to work games.  At some point, our "hobby" is not worth all the turmoil.