Author Topic: Punt question..  (Read 4239 times)

Offline M Buck

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Punt question..
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Last night, at our Chapter meeting, I was asked an interesting question that I couldn't answer. I have never read about it. I've never experienced it in 38 years of officiating. I've never seen it at any level. Here goes.... Team A, 4th and 10 from the A25, in punt formation when Center 54 snaps the ball to punter A22 who punts the ball. He muffs the snap but recovers and punts the ball which is blocked by B78. A22 catches the blocked punt and punts the ball again which goes OOB at B45. Legal play?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Punt question..
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Yes.  As long as the second kick is behind the line of scrimmage.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
And as long as the 1st (blocked) kick did not go beyond the LOS.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
It is legal, because it isn't prohibited.  A forward pass after the ball has been in possession of an A player completely beyond the NZ is prohibited by rule.  A second forward pass is prohibited by rule.

A scrimmage kick (one or multiple) made from in or behind the NZ after a previous scrimmage kick, after a fumble recovery, after a pass (forward or backward) has been completed, or after the ball has been in possession of an A player beyond the NZ is NOT prohibited, as long as a previous scrimmage kick has not crossed the NZ, and there has been no change of team possession.

The only one of those things I've seen is a Tulsa punter that tried to run for a first down, saw he wasn't going to make it, backed up behind the NZ and punted.  Legal.

Would be cool to see video of the double kick play.

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Punt question..
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
I’ve actually seen that in a HS game in Texas several years ago. Playoff game I think.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »
It is legal, because it isn't prohibited.  A forward pass after the ball has been in possession of an A player completely beyond the NZ is prohibited by rule.  A second forward pass is prohibited by rule.

A scrimmage kick (one or multiple) made from in or behind the NZ after a previous scrimmage kick, after a fumble recovery, after a pass (forward or backward) has been completed, or after the ball has been in possession of an A player beyond the NZ is NOT prohibited, as long as a previous scrimmage kick has not crossed the NZ, and there has been no change of team possession.

The only one of those things I've seen is a Tulsa punter that tried to run for a first down, saw he wasn't going to make it, backed up behind the NZ and punted.  Legal.

Would be cool to see video of the double kick play.

Robert

Exactly!  Legal because not prohibited. 

Robert, are you from Lubbock?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
Since 1971.  If I can't live in the Islands (Hawaii), the Hub is just fine by me.
Robert

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Since 1971.  If I can't live in the Islands (Hawaii), the Hub is just fine by me.
Robert

OK, I know who you are then. 

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:58 PM »
I put a similar play in a weekly quiz to my crew.

Now, what happens if the punter (no kick yet) runs across the line and for some reason decides to kick it, retreats, but doesn't get back far enough and then punts.

What do you have?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
I put a similar play in a weekly quiz to my crew.

Now, what happens if the punter (no kick yet) runs across the line and for some reason decides to kick it, retreats, but doesn't get back far enough and then punts.

What do you have?

Illegal kick, ball becomes dead immediately, enforce five yards from the previous spot and a loss of down.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 06:47:57 AM »
How did your crew do?

100%, I trust.   ;D

Robert