Author Topic: Radios  (Read 4962 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Radios
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Just curious, lots of crews are using radios for the first time this year.  How's it working out for everyone?

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
Re: Radios
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Our crew loves them. We went with the Baofeng 888. Easy to use, good range, price definitely right.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
Same here BF888S.  We ended up getting 3 different earpieces before finding one that worked well for us hard of hearing types.  We got the Heyrtz brand on Amazon and it is very clear.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:45 AM »
We're using a Cobra brand and it's not bad. I've used better ones but as long as we are on a high quality channel, it's not bad. Sometimes have a hard time understanding my crewmates especially if the crowd noise is high

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
We are using a set of Midland radios.  Works well for communicating cross-field and to clarify things quickly from the calling official without having to conference.

Biggest downside of the cheaper rigs is if there is alot of crowd or band noise near the person transmitting, it can be hard to hear.

Couple of tips to share with crews new to radios:
-- Never use the radio when the ball is live...its a distraction to the entire crew from what they are focused on.
-- Dont rely on the radio when standard mechanics will suffice. 
-- Dont let the radio become a crutch that gets you off your fundamentals.
-- Do remember that someone outside your crew is always listening (especially with these cheaper radios).
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline rcsatx

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
My crew went with the Midlands.  I also purchased the Baofeng in case i was selected as a deep wing on another crew.  Have used both radios in games.  IMHO both radios are about equal performance wise.  To me, the headsets make the difference.  On field communications is a great tool to use.

I would like to add one more lesson learned - Do not speak on the radios while the referee is announcing penalty on stadium PA system  ;)

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
My crew went with the Midlands.  I also purchased the Baofeng in case i was selected as a deep wing on another crew.  Have used both radios in games.  IMHO both radios are about equal performance wise.  To me, the headsets make the difference.  On field communications is a great tool to use.

I would like to add one more lesson learned - Do not speak on the radios while the referee is announcing penalty on stadium PA system  ;)

Make sure as R, you know which mic you are speaking too. 

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
Working well for us. We've saved a lot of time and it has helped on things like foul numbers.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
working out pretty well...

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »
Has anyone given one to their timer so quick clock correction can be made? 

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

Don't even know who these guys are in my neck of the woods.  They are normal stadium operators and can barely operate the clock, much less give them a radio.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
Don't even know who these guys are in my neck of the woods.  They are normal stadium operators and can barely operate the clock, much less give them a radio.

Just talking about chapter clock operators.  We mostly use retired guys when a clock operator is requested.

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure we did in at least one game last year. No reason not to if you've got a spare radio around.