Football Officiating > Classics

NCAA "Toe-Heel" Rule (Texas - Texas Tech Game)

(1/9) > >>

TXMike:
Is anyone aware of some recent interp that is being called the "Toe-Heel" rule.  There has been much discussion on  on non-ref sites stemming from a play in the Texas - Texas Tech game Saturday.  WR catches a pass at the endline while airborne.  He touches ground first on tip toe, toe in bounds and then his heel comes down but is on the line.  Rules on the field as a TD.  Replay did not overturn.  Now "experts" are saying the NCAA "Toe-Heel" rule applies and that rule says even if your toe comes down first in bounds but then your heel touches the line, it is incomplete.

gsrc:
Yes, I heard this philosophy from a Big 12 official earlier this year at a meeting. I hadn't heard it before but he described it like you did. In fact, it could've been on this board or another, but there was an apparent TD catch in a Missouri game where Chase Kaufmann made a great catch, got his toe down in the EZ, but fell backwards. While falling backwards it looked like his heel came down on the sideline. It was ruled incomplete on the field and wasn't overturned. I attempted to describe this philosophy in that thread.

The way this official explained it to the group was like this: toe in bounds, heel out of bounds= incomplete; heel inbounds, toe out of bounds=incomplete; drag of the toes only=complete.

That takes a lot of processing and slowing the game down but that's why those guys are on that level.

DD:
The toe-heel if one continous motion at the endline or sideline will be ruled incomplete. If the receiver tries to remain on the toes and a slight pause then to go the heel (non-continous motion) it will be ruled a catch.

VA-Ump:
Until they change Rule 2 and delineate between the heal and the toe, I don't see any validity in this new "rule"... 2.2.7.c.1 clearly states "foot".  Any part of the FOOT touching the line when he comes down means its incomplete.

TXMike:
My 2-2-7-c  talks about any "part of the body"  ISn't the toe part of the body?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version