Football Officiating > Classics

"Hidden" Changes - 2011 NCAA Rules

(1/20) > >>

TXMike:
Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to things we find in the new book that are "hidden" changes as they are not listed in either the rule change section or editorial change section?

Example:

9-1-16-a-5   Now, even if a player is LEGALLY blocked into the kicker, roughing or running into CANNOT be called.

(EDITED TO CORRECT A DYSLEXIC MOMENT)

If we deem the block caused the defender to to hit the kicker, it does not matter if it was legal or illegal, no foul for running into or roughing.

Hawkeye:

--- Quote from: TXMike on May 26, 2011, 07:30:11 AM ---9-1-16-a-5   Now, even if a player is LEGALLY blocked into the kicker, roughing or running into CAN be called.

--- End quote ---

How is this new?  This was 9-1-4-a-6 in the old book.

Something I thought was interesting was redefining the passer to include someone who throws an illegal forward pass (2-27-5 removes the requirement that the pass is legal).  This means that now you can have intentional grounding and roughing the passer on the same play.

TXMike:
I think 9 1 4 a only excused the defender who was ILLEGALLY blocked into kicker

Hawkeye:

--- Quote from: TXMike on May 26, 2011, 07:30:11 AM ---Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to things we find in the new book that are "hidden" changes as they are not listed in either the rule change section or editorial change section?

Example:

9-1-16-a-5   Now, even if a player is LEGALLY blocked into the kicker, roughing or running into CAN be called.

--- End quote ---

You should change CAN to CANNOT.  I didn't read the new section until after I made the previous post.  Now I agree that this is a hidden change.

fencewire:
New 9.1.16.a.5

--- Quote ---When a defensive player’s contact against the kicker or holder is caused by an opponent’s block (legal or illegal), there is no foul for running into or roughing.
--- End quote ---

Old 9.1.4.a.6

--- Quote ---A defensive player legally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is not exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player illegally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version