Author Topic: Got Anything Here?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Got Anything Here?
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »
This wasn't my game, but I received this email from one of my colleagues:

Offensive team gets tackled in their end zone for a safety.  they elect to punt the ball from the 20 yard line.  Punter takes the ball, drops it to punt and completely whiffs it.  immediately falls on the ball.  What is proper call?

My guess is that R wanted to ball at the 20.  No chance of that since the ball never became live by a legal kick, so the down never started.  I could understand Encroachment on K if they moved into the NZ.  I could also understand DoG if K was unable to kick within 25 seconds of the RFP.  I think I'd go with no-call though, same as when the ball falls of the tee on a kickoff.  Thoughts?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Got Anything Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
IMHO, I'd treat it the same as the ball falling off the tee. Agree with FLAHL :thumbup.

Monday morning trivia : If a punt is used for a punt following a safety, the kick must be made within one step of K's free kick line (6-1-2). Why ??? ????
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:39:22 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
This isn't the same as the ball falling off the tee.  When it falls off the tee, there is an outside force (usually wind) that caused it.  When a punter whiffs, it's his own d@mn fault.  Encroachment (I'm betting the rest of the team crossed the line), DOG (I'm also betting he didn't get it picked up and kicked within 25 seconds).  If no one crossed the line and AND he got another kick off within 25 seconds, I can't find a foul, unless you think it was intentionally done to throw off the receiving team.  If so, I guess you would have to go with unfair act.

But it's not nothing.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
I'm with AB.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »
What if the ball is on the tee and kicker whiffs it? It is encroachment, right?
Same thing here isn't it?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
What if the ball is on the tee and kicker whiffs it? It is encroachment, right?
Same thing here isn't it?
It's encroachment because a non-kicker crossed the line.  In the case of the missed punt, it's possible no one crossed the line.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »
Any time we have to try and search for a rule to fit some activity into violating, we're venturing on really thin ice.  As some astute (likely an official) individual long ago observed, "no harm, no foul" most often satisfies the situation best.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »
Probably a great time for an IW
of course it isn't a kick until he strikes the ball with his foot so I agree you blow it dead and retry that punt as a free kick!

ART. 7 . . . A free kick is not repeated unless:
a. A foul occurs prior to a change of possession and the penalty acceptance
requires a replay of the down.
b. There is a double foul.
c. There is an inadvertent whistle during the kick.

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:43:48 PM »
IMHO, I'd treat it the same as the ball falling off the tee. Agree with FLAHL :thumbup .

Monday morning trivia : If a punt is used for a punt following a safety, the kick must be made within one step of K's free kick line (6-1-2). Why ??? ??? ?

I'll venture a guess here since no one else has. Is this to prevent K from encroaching on the kick by breaking the plane of the free kick line?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »
I'll venture a guess here since no one else has. Is this to prevent K from encroaching on the kick by breaking the plane of the free kick line?
You're in the ballpark and I'm in a good mood ,after my clam broth coffee, so congrats aWaRd!

K can enter the NZ once the ball is kicked (2-8), so without this restriction, the punter could go back to his own goal line and kick a "grounder". His teammates would probably beat the ball to the 30. There's a reason for every rule.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
  There's a reason for every rule.

I have always wondered about this one Ralph.  Anybody know the reason for this rule?  Thanks.

“The snapper may lift the ball for lateral rotation but may not rotate end-for-end”

This is also part of 7-1-2, and I've never understood what it means: “or fail to keep the long axis of the ball at right angles to the line of scrimmage.”

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:23:01 AM by FLAHL »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
I have always wondered about this one Ralph.  What's the reason for this rule?  Thanks.

“The snapper may lift the ball for lateral rotation but may not rotate end-for-end”

This is also part of 7-1-2, and I've never understood what it means: “or fail to keep the long axis of the ball at right angles to the line of scrimmage.”
Many years ago the snapper wasn't able to adjust the ball and needed to ask the umpire sNiCkErS to do it for him. This would often disrupt the umpire's meal sNiCkErS. The rules committee felt the snapper should be able to adjust the ball himself. Delema : could the snapper adjust the ball without lifting it ??? ????
Answer : probably not. The rule was then tweaked to allow the snapper to lift the ball but NOT to do anything funky >:D :P 8] with it....IE.. "not rotate end-for-end" or "or fail to keep the long axis of the ball at right angles to the line of scrimmage".

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Thanks Ralph!