Author Topic: Baen bag use  (Read 7336 times)

cbrunnjo

Baen bag use
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
Do we need to drop a bean bag on fumbles behind the line of scrimmage?
Why not or why? Examples please?

I say we don't need to drop a bag on fumbles behind the LOS

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: Baen bag use
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:45 AM »
nope.  do not need to.  the intent of a bag is for loose ball plays. 
Although a fumble is a loose ball, for a loose ball behind the LOS, the previous spot is the basic sopt.
Now is it a good idea to bag a fumble behind LOS? - sure.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:10:40 AM »
Do we need to drop a bean bag on fumbles behind the line of scrimmage?
Why not or why? Examples please?

I say we don't need to drop a bag on fumbles behind the LOS

Depends how much of a bean bag purist you are. 

Technically, the only reason to use a bag is to mark a potential enforcement spot.  In most cases of a fumble in the backfield, the end of the run is not going to be an enforcement spot. 

Practically, I don't mind the practice of bagging fumbles behind the LOS.  A bag from the R or U when a ball is loose behind the line in between the tackles can alert wings to a loose ball that they may or may not see.  I'd rather have a bag that I don't need than an IW.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
no one wants IW,
BUT wings don't have the ball behind LOS - R does.

mbyron

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
In Ohio, our mechanics manual requires bagging all fumbles, despite the fact that it's not an enforcement spot when the run ends behind the NZ. The primary rationale is that flying bags help the crew keep off their whistles. Also, it gets officials in the habit of bagging fumbles.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
no one wants IW,
BUT wings don't have the ball behind LOS - R does.
I don't think that was what he was getting at.  By bagging fumbles behind the LOS, the R might prevent a wing from blowing a whistle on a dive or off-tackle play.

Sure, we're not supposed to whistle if we can't see the ball, but .................

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »
I don't think that was what he was getting at.  By bagging fumbles behind the LOS, the R might prevent a wing from blowing a whistle on a dive or off-tackle play.

Sure, we're not supposed to whistle if we can't see the ball, but .................
well as I said in my initial post, "is it a good idea... - sure"

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »
Maybe I'm too removed from NHFS ball, but if a ball is fumbled near the sideline, isn't the point ball lost one of the places the ball could be returned to?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:01:56 PM »
Maybe I'm too removed from NHFS ball, but if a ball is fumbled near the sideline, isn't the point ball lost one of the places the ball could be returned to?

In a word, no.  The ball doesn't get "returned" to a fumble spot in NFHS rules.  It might be an enforcement spot, but there is no 4th down fumble rule or anything that would return the ball to the spot of the lost ball.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:50:30 AM »
In a word, no.  The ball doesn't get "returned" to a fumble spot in NFHS rules.  It might be an enforcement spot, but there is no 4th down fumble rule or anything that would return the ball to the spot of the lost ball.

Legit question, then:

A 2D and 2 on the B 47. Back runs outta the backfield on a sweep. He his hit hard on the B43. The ball bounces and leaves the field of play at the B40. There are no flags on the play.

Where will the ball be next put into play?

Up here in the great white north, we'd bag the point the ball was last touched (and possession would go to the last team to *touch* the ball.) If nobody else touched the ball, bag the B43 - it's the PS for the next series. If the ball went backwards out the 44, bag the B43, mark the B44, ball put into play at the B44.

See where I'm going here?

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:09 AM »
Also not NF proficient, but he does have point doesn't he - a ball fumbled forward OOB will be returned to the spot of the fumble, even if it was behind the line.
2-15-1

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
Also not NF proficient, but he does have point doesn't he - a ball fumbled forward OOB will be returned to the spot of the fumble, even if it was behind the line.
2-15-1
Not in Fed ball.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:21 AM »
2-15-1

FED 2-15-1 refers to the progress spot where the ball will be placed after it goes OOB, not where it was when it was fumbled.

mbyron

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:42:21 AM »
2-15-1

As already pointed out, 2-15-1 concerns forward progress.

You want 2-41-4b: a fumble out of bounds is spotted where it goes out of bounds.