Author Topic: NCAA Rules Changes for 2018  (Read 12506 times)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: NCAA Rules Changes for 2018
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
99% of the time this won't be an issue because everyone is going to kick the extra point, which is middle of the field.

If it's a 2 point situation, we should look to the sideline to see where they want it before placing it down.

If the rare occasion coach wants to go for 2 off script, then it's on him to get our attention if he wants it somewhere else.

I just heard that the scoring coach has until 25 seconds to decide if they want to move the ball location.  Same with kickoffs.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 07:06:13 PM »
That sounds like the “leeway” I mentioned.  So, the ball may already be, officially, ready for play, but they get 15 seconds of play clock time to request that it be relocated.  So, at 28, they request left hash, and it takes 5 seconds to get the ball moved...do we pump it up?  I would think not.  They are on their own time, at this point, I gotta believe.

Robert

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »

1. If it's your flag, and your goal line, and the foul is on the offense, just stop the clock. No reason to signal TD when you know it's coming back. If it's on the defense, signal TD and then signal TO as you go to report.

I know this is conference specific, but I don't like this philosophy. It can create problems and doesn't solve any problems.

Especially if there is a question as to whether the runner scored or not, just signal the TD. You never know when a crew mate may come over and take you off the foul that you thought was going to bring the play back. Now you are signaling TD a full minute after a tight goal line play and the crew looks like they are clueless.

Even if you stick with the foul, astute coaches will know by your signal if the next play is going to be on the ready or the snap in time sensitive situations. No signal and coaches will assume they need to hurry and snap the ball as soon as the foul is enforced. That causes a competitive disadvantage.

Offline ElvisLives

Play clock on Tries
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:40 PM »
For what it is worth, three different guys in three different FBS conferences (one "power 5" conference) confirmed that they, and the PCOs, are being told to let the play complete itself, i.e., once the signaling official drops his arms, then hesitate momentarily (one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three), then start the play clock.  After that, the teams are at risk of DOG, unless there is some really unusual delay in getting the ball spotted.
That would seem to be the right amount of time to at least secure the replacement game ball, and begin getting in to the U/C to spot.  With this, I see far fewer "pump ups" than I initially imagined.  I think we are "good to go."

Robert

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
For those in the dont signal touchdown if you have a foul that negates the score...you throw a flag for OPI as the receiver pushes off...ball is in the air and the receiver bobbles the ball in the end zone near the sideline.  He barely gets control as he touches the ground very close to the sideline.  He goes to the ground in the process of completing the catch....The whole world is watching and you signal timeout and report your foul to the R?    I am sure that there are several coordinators that support the timeout signal vs touchdown signal but doesn't the rulebook call that a touchdown that is later negated by penalty enforcement? 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
For those in the dont signal touchdown if you have a foul that negates the score...you throw a flag for OPI as the receiver pushes off...ball is in the air and the receiver bobbles the ball in the end zone near the sideline.  He barely gets control as he touches the ground very close to the sideline.  He goes to the ground in the process of completing the catch....The whole world is watching and you signal timeout and report your foul to the R?    I am sure that there are several coordinators that support the timeout signal vs touchdown signal but doesn't the rulebook call that a touchdown that is later negated by penalty enforcement?

I have always signaled what the result of the play is.  The result of the play may be the deciding factor in whether the penalty gets accepted or declined.

Offline bossman72

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:27 AM »

I tend to agree, but my coordinator under no circumstances wants us to signal TD if we're bringing it back.

I gave the example of 4th down and a close play / pile up at the goal line and I have an ILF.  If I come in with a stop-the-clock signal when the runner actually scored, the defense will think they made a stop.  Then when we enforce the ILF, people are going to be confused.  His response was to have the R include the result of the play in his announcement.

Now, if it's an obvious TD, then the stop-the-clock signal instead of a TD leaves no confusion.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
Always do what your coordinator wants.

In reality, it probably doesn't make any difference at all, either way.  If a TD signal is given, I would suggest that it be abbreviated, and followed by a BIG T/O signal by the calling official, as he moves immediately to the R to report the foul.  This should get everybody's attention that "it ain't over," particularly the PCO, who will have positive information to not run the play clock.  Again, this probably won't be a huge problem at all, but, it will certainly "play" better.

Robert

Offline bossman72

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
Always do what your coordinator wants.

In reality, it probably doesn't make any difference at all, either way.  If a TD signal is given, I would suggest that it be abbreviated, and followed by a BIG T/O signal by the calling official, as he moves immediately to the R to report the foul.  This should get everybody's attention that "it ain't over," particularly the PCO, who will have positive information to not run the play clock.  Again, this probably won't be a huge problem at all, but, it will certainly "play" better.

Robert

I agree - this is the way I'd also handle it if I was allowed to signal the result of the play first.  TD signal real quick followed by emphatic TO signal and run into the R.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
See attached.  Not really much here.
Robert

Offline ElvisLives

Alright, which is it?
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
8-3-2-c and 8-6-2 both say that Team A must request the lateral location of the ball BEFORE the play clock is at 25 seconds.  But, new AR 3-3-4-IV says "...less than 25 seconds..."  Now, in the strictest sense, there is no conflict, because, indeed, if the play clock is under 25, they may not request the ball to be relocated.  But most readers will interpret that to mean the play clock must be under 25 to be denied, i.e., a request with the PC AT 25 should be honored.  That's not what the actual rule language says.

I'm going to use the stricter rule language, unless and until Shaw issues a ruling otherwise.  Once the PC is at 25, any request to reposition the ball will b denied.

Robert