Author Topic: Hugo Cruz released  (Read 4667 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Hugo Cruz released
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
It is no secret that the NFL released DJ Hugo Cruz following an incident in a game in which a false start was missed, and, with some of the defense relaxed (expecting a foul call), Team A was able to throw a touchdown pass.
Yes, that is an ugly miss.  But we've all seen ugly misses in the NFL (since 1967), and not since before the first Super Bowl has an NFL official been released in mid-season.  Reputedly, this was due to poor performance over a period time.  Strange.  He was playoff eligible last season, which indicates a good level of performance.  And now, in less than a half season, he is suddenly released due to poor performance?  Suspend him one or more games - OK.  But just flat out release him?

This is a very bad precedent.  Now, any time an official makes an error - FIRE HIM!  This could even trickle down to FBS.  You talk about ugly...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:33:36 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
Re: Hugo Cruz released
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
It is no secret that the NFL released DJ Hugo Cruz following an incident in a game in which a false start was missed, and, with some of the defense relaxed (expecting a foul call), Team A was able to throw a touchdown pass.
Yes, that is an ugly miss.  But we've all seen ugly misses in the NFL (since 1967), and not since before the first Super Bowl has an NFL official been released in mid-season.  Reputedly, this was due to poor performance over a period time.  Strange.  He was playoff eligible last season, which indicates a good level of performance.  And now, in less that a half season, he is suddenly released due to poor performance?  Suspend him one or more games - OK.  But just flat out release him?

This is a very bad precedent.  Now, any time an official makes an error - FIRE HIM!  This could even trickle down to FBS.  You talk about ugly...

As a fan of the team that saw this egregious error and has seen way too many other egregious errors against them this season. And to have each and every one of them acknowledge by the NFL as being wrong the following week, I am happy to see the NFL PUBLICLY do something to an official. I know that may be an unpopular take on this forum, but these guys are paid a lot of money to make some of the egregious errors that are made. The week after that event a flag was thrown before the QB was hit helmet to helmet while into his slide. The referee waved off the flag saying the it was ok to hit him in the helmet because he was a running. Sorry, but no excuse for a crew of 7 to allow that mistake to go forward particular when helmet to helmet contact is an emphasis this season. Again the NFL came out after saying it was wrong.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
As a fan of the team that saw this egregious error and has seen way too many other egregious errors against them this season. And to have each and every one of them acknowledge by the NFL as being wrong the following week, I am happy to see the NFL PUBLICLY do something to an official. I know that may be an unpopular take on this forum, but these guys are paid a lot of money to make some of the egregious errors that are made. The week after that event a flag was thrown before the QB was hit helmet to helmet while into his slide. The referee waved off the flag saying the it was ok to hit him in the helmet because he was a running. Sorry, but no excuse for a crew of 7 to allow that mistake to go forward particular when helmet to helmet contact is an emphasis this season. Again the NFL came out after saying it was wrong.

So you're so mad at Shawn Hochuli (the R who said that ridiculous explanation about the Mayfield helmet to helmet hit) that you're happy Hugo Cruz got fired?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
RiffRaft, are you, or have you ever been, an official in any organized sport?  (Organized means high school, college, or professional sports that obtain officials from organizations that recruit and train officials.)  If so, where and when?

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

TASO member 1974-present (baseball 1978-1988; football 1974-2006, 2017-present)
Western Athletic Conference (football 1999-2012)
Big XII Conference (football 2007-2008)
Mountain West Conference (football 2007-2009)
Conference USA (football 2009-2010)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
RiffRaft, are you, or have you ever been, an official in any organized sport?  (Organized means high school, college, or professional sports that obtain officials from organizations that recruit and train officials.)  If so, where and when?

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

TASO member 1974-present (baseball 1978-1988; football 1974-2006, 2017-present)
Western Athletic Conference (football 1999-2012)
Big XII Conference (football 2007-2008)
Mountain West Conference (football 2007-2009)
Conference USA (football 2009-2010)

I have been a high school football and wrestling official for past 20 years. I have also been a high school baseball/softball Umpire in the past (stopped 3 years ago).

I started out in Ohio and am now in Arizona.

So what does that have to do with my opinion? Does it qualify it or disqualify it?

We all make mistakes, miss calls, etc., but if there is a continual problem with a particular official or crew, I would expect any organization in charge of the officials to take some kind of action.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 04:36:14 PM »
So what does that have to do with my opinion? Does it qualify it or disqualify it?

As a licensed architect, I sometimes hear folks irresponsibly express opinions as though they are knowledgeable about architectural styles, materials, systems, etc., when, in fact, they know nothing about such things.  I then know to discount their opinion.  On the other hand, if I hear a trained and licensed colleague express an opinion regarding similar subjects, even if I disagree, I will at least listen to him, knowing that his opinions are ones of education and experience, and not ones of pure self-interest.

In the case of football officiating, we often hear folks express irresponsible opinions regarding officiating and officials, when they have no training or expertise in officiating.  While we can't stop them from expressing such irresponsible opinions, we can certainly know whose opinions to take seriously, and whose to ignore.

You have my qualifications, and you can choose whether to take my opinions seriously, or ignore me.  I don't need to know your choice. 

Vice versa, for me.  I now know whether to take you seriously or ignore you.

Robert

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
Yes, that is an ugly miss.  But we've all seen ugly misses in the NFL (since 1967), and not since before the first Super Bowl has an NFL official been released in mid-season.  Reputedly, this was due to poor performance over a period time.  Strange.  He was playoff eligible last season, which indicates a good level of performance.  And now, in less than a half season, he is suddenly released due to poor performance?  Suspend him one or more games - OK.  But just flat out release him?

It is my understanding that “playoff eligible” doesn’t mean “good level of performance” rather that it means that he has enough time on job.

“One of the sources confirmed that Cruz was not “maintaining a very high level of performance over a sustained period,” while another told Football Zebras in March that Cruz’s future with the league was already in jeopardy. This is partially borne out by his lack of postseason assignments for the two seasons he would have qualified for, not counting assignment as an alternate last season. ”
-http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/10/nfl-fires-down-judge-hugo-cruz/

At some point poor performance has to have repercussions. I’m willing to assume that the NFL gave him the benefit of the doubt a good bit but his performance just wasn’t up to snuff.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
maybe this incident was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back"?

Offline refjimb

• JimBLJ
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
Super late here, but it sounded like this wasn't just a response to one bad missed call, but an accumulation of poor performance over time.  If that's not the case then yes, this is a bad precedent.

But, like any other level (or any other profession) I don't see anything wrong with lower performers being weeded out, especially at the highest level of the sport where they are making the most money and the attention and stakes are the highest.  If everyone wants the absolute best on the field this is how it is accomplished.