Author Topic: Airborne OOB player - worst case scenario  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
Airborne OOB player - worst case scenario
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »
Receiver A88 runs a fade route to the corner of the end zone and has position on defender B44, who steps on the sideline and jumps for the pass. A88 jumps from inbounds and both players manage to touch the pass with their fingertips. A88 wins the battle and comes down with the ball in the end zone, an amazing grab. The SJ rules touchdown. You're the RO, do you buzz down? Oh by the way, this is the national championship game and Team A was trailing by four and time just expired. Offseason rule or editorial change?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Airborne OOB player - worst case scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:51:36 AM »
If it is simultaneous then you could say "call stands" as the RO. But, let's say that it is obvious that airborne B44 touches the ball first and only then airborne A88 grabs it...

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
Here we have one of those times I'm happy I'm using NFHS rules - no replays, call on the field is TD as everyone expects, we all go home happy. :)

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:01:57 PM »
If it is simultaneous then you could say "call stands" as the RO. But, let's say that it is obvious that airborne B44 touches the ball first and only then airborne A88 grabs it...

The RO may not have that luxury. The RO notices that an airborne OOB player has touched a loose ball. Whether anyone else touched it, beforehand or afterward, cannot change the fact that the ball is instantly OOB and the pass is therefore incomplete.

I mean, technically, based on the definition of the catch, airborne A88 could have the thing completely wrapped up, and if airborne OOB B44 gets even a finger on the tightly grasped ball, it would still be a loose ball that's OOB.

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
The RO may not have that luxury. The RO notices that an airborne OOB player has touched a loose ball. Whether anyone else touched it, beforehand or afterward, cannot change the fact that the ball is instantly OOB and the pass is therefore incomplete.

I mean, technically, based on the definition of the catch, airborne A88 could have the thing completely wrapped up, and if airborne OOB B44 gets even a finger on the tightly grasped ball, it would still be a loose ball that's OOB.
In other words: the SJ should have ruled this incomplete without any doubt. Provided of course he clearly saw B44 step out of bounds and later touch the ball while both players were airborne.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Once upon a time (Nelson/Adams), an airborne player was not out of bounds (even if he had been out of bounds before he became airborne).  In those days, this would not have been an issue.

Robert

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
In other words: the SJ should have ruled this incomplete without any doubt. Provided of course he clearly saw B44 step out of bounds and later touch the ball while both players were airborne.

I often tell newer officials the easiest way to remember this is "you are where you were."

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:02:31 AM »

I think the RO could interpret the loose ball rule so that a ball firmly held by a player is not out of bounds if it then touches a player out of bounds. Yes, this is not what the rules say, but I do think that it is what the rules makers want (granted, I have a very poor track record in trying to guess their intent).