Author Topic: need a ruling (punt play)  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Loss of Down

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
need a ruling (punt play)
« on: September 15, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Team K punting from their own 15 yd line.  Low snap back to K1.  He muffs the ball and tries to pick it up as the rush from Team R is coming.  K1 tries to pick up the ball at his 5 yd. line.  He muffs the ball into an oncoming rushers leg.  The ball is kicked (accidently) through the back of the endzone by R1.  What is the ruling, no flags on the play

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
Re: need a ruling (punt play)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
The definition of a kick is that it MUST be intentional. An accidental hit on the leg isn't a kick. Safety, just like if the snap sailed over the punters head out of the back of the EZ

Offline Loss of Down

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
this play deals with force since the goal line is involved.  A snap over the head, center provided the force .  On the play in question, who provided the force for the ball to go out the back of the endzone? 

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
Accidental touching is not a new force. K1's muff is likely the active force on the ball, but depending how the ball was moving it might still be the bad snap.

Offline Loss of Down

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
the muff by K1 had the ball going away from the goal line.  The ball is moving towards the 10 yard line at the time it went off of K1 leg.  I have having a hard time trying to figure out who provided the force.  Snap ends as soon as the ball is touched or hits the ground. 

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »
the muff by K1 had the ball going away from the goal line.  The ball is moving towards the 10 yard line at the time it went off of K1 leg.  I have having a hard time trying to figure out who provided the force.  Snap ends as soon as the ball is touched or hits the ground.

Don't overthink this. A change of direction in and of itself does not mean a new force. I have a safety on the play you describe every time.

Offline Loss of Down

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  Safety it is.  Force would have to be the muff by K1.  I wasn't sure about the accidental kicking being a new force or not.   :bOW

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
If the onrushing R player was trying to scoop up the ball = muff =new force = touchback.

If   "      "          "   "      didn't realize the ball was there = incidental touching = safety.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
If the onrushing R player was trying to scoop up the ball = muff =new force = touchback.

If   "      "          "   "      didn't realize the ball was there = incidental touching = safety.

Easy call!  Just provide this explanation to the onrushing R player and ask him if he was trying to scoop up the ball or whether he didn't realize that the ball was there.  (I wonder why the NCAA and/or NFL haven't picked me up yet?)