Author Topic: Hideout play  (Read 492 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +143/-137
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Hideout play
« on: October 02, 2022, 03:22:49 PM »
Fair warning to all, just in case this is an infection in search of a pandemic.

As I always do, I asked the home head coach if he had any plays we might need to know about, that might catch us by surprise?
He gets a big grin on his face and says, “Well, we’re gonna run a hideout play.” [Can’t say I’ve ever had a coach just flat out use the expression ‘hideout play’.] So, I said, “OK, hold on. When we hear hear the expression ‘hideout play,’ our antenna go up. Tell me exactly what you mean by that.”
So he proceeds to tell me that, right after a down is over, they’ll send in a sub, and the replaced player will move off the field. Their wide receiver on the previous down will be inside the 9 yard marks (which weren’t marked, BTW) and will also move toward the sideline, as though he is leaving the field, but will stop near the sideline. After the snap, he’ll run downfield and they’ll throw a pass to him.🙄
How do you suppose he reacted when I told him that this tactic is patently illegal? He wanted to know what was illegal about it - he gets inside the 9-yard marks. Coach, this is using the substitution process to deceive the opponent, and that is not allowed. ‘But we did it last week?’ Sorry, but it is illegal. Coach, I’ve been doing this for 47 years - I’ve got a little bit of experience.

They didn’t try it.

Don’t let anybody get away with this. There is no way to ‘legally’ run a ‘hideout’ play.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:56:16 PM by ElvisLives »

Online JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +107/-58
Re: Hideout play
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:55:15 PM »
Exactly.   I offer this.  Can you run this play to the other sideline?  Of course not.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +81/-27
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 07:22:54 PM »
Sometimes I think coaches say,”we did it last week “ when they really didn’t. Just trying to get you to change mind. If they had run a hide out the week befor, the scouts or film would show it and it would not be a surprise to the opponent!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
Based on the description of this play I'd be willing to bet you that if the coach would not tell the crew before had approximately 95% of officials out there would not recognize the play as a hide-out.  They would see the player in question as one who participated in the previous play and thinking nothing more about it, even during a substitution process. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +340/-866
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 03:49:21 PM »
Based on the description of this play I'd be willing to bet you that if the coach would not tell the crew before had approximately 95% of officials out there would not recognize the play as a hide-out.  They would see the player in question as one who participated in the previous play and thinking nothing more about it, even during a substitution process.

Successful thieves are not necessarily stupid.....but they're still thieves.