Author Topic: UIL Playoff Brackets  (Read 30133 times)

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
Re: UIL Playoff Brackets
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out why Dallas got the shaft week 3 :sTiR:

Fortunately for them, they enjoy getting the shaft.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:34:09 PM by HoustonRef »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 08:50:08 PM »
Will there also be tracking for the number of games that Ruth fella gets. I’m sure he’s in the 8-9 range so far...I heard he may already be confirmed for at least one state final already.

You lost me.  Who? 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out why Dallas got the shaft week 3 :sTiR:

I’ve been officiating in this great state for 30 years now.  I’ve been putting together the brackets I do for 15 of those 30 years.  I have a decent feel for what goes on and I realize what games a chapter gets, outside of Houston, is cyclical and very dependent upon what schools are still in the playoffs.  Seeing any given chapter have a bad week, by volume of games, means very little when thinking of the quality of their officiating.  It means absolutely squat.  The chapters at the edges of the state get very little.  That’s a simple fact.  El Paso, RGV, South TX, Beaumont, East TX, Commerce, Amarillo (not as much), get very little after the second or third round.  That’s about geography more than quality, IMHO.  I’ve seen some of their better crews and they do a great job.  Houston is a different story.  They are huge.  They cover all of region III and parts of region II an IV.  They have a good reputation and many, many crews to choose from.  Any of the best crews from any chapter in the state are as good as the best crew from Houston, but there are just many more of those good crews in Houston.  Tommy is a great representative for Houston, and actually all of TASO.  Not a better guy in this state of Texas for officials, period.  Things won’t change in the way of evening things out as far as playoff games any time soon. Simple fact, but if you want to work later round playoff games, you have to get into one of those chapters that tends to work those games and then prove yourself.  Thoughts from an old fart... 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
Hear! Hear! To TexDoc. tiphat:

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
You also have to keep that the coaches have a huge network.   90% of our playoff games come with a specific crew being requested.  I always ask the coaches how they heard about the said crew and the response has always been, "I got a buddy who coaches at 'somewhere' high school and he recommended them."  When you have the same 2 or 3 crews being recommended by multiple coaches then they must be doing something right.  For larger chapters then you have a bigger chance of there being 20 or so crews that are recommended so that does drown out the chances of the smaller chapters.  I have found that coaches aren't just going to select a chapter without having done some kind of research on that chapter.  The bad deal is that it only takes one coach to say a negative thing about one crew and that can affect the entire chapter.  Another side is that some of the games we got the coaches inquired about the number of games we had that week.  Apparently they would call a chapter who had a large number of games and then decided to go with a chapter with very few games.  To them, they didn't think they would get a top tier crew from the chapter that had 20 games but with the smaller chapter who had just a couple of games they could get a top tier crew.  So the bottom line is, work every game like a playoff game starting with the first game in September and become the crew that your own local coaches will refer to his "buddies".  Before you know it that coach will be referring you to his "buddies".

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »
Will there also be tracking for the number of games that Ruth fella gets. I’m sure he’s in the 8-9 range so far...I heard he may already be confirmed for at least one state final already.

I thought they changed it a year or two ago, he can only get one (only... :) ).

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
I thought they changed it a year or two ago, he can only get one (only... :) ).
  Yes, it was changed this year, because he got 2 last year.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
You also have to keep that the coaches have a huge network.   90% of our playoff games come with a specific crew being requested.  I always ask the coaches how they heard about the said crew and the response has always been, "I got a buddy who coaches at 'somewhere' high school and he recommended them."  When you have the same 2 or 3 crews being recommended by multiple coaches then they must be doing something right.  For larger chapters then you have a bigger chance of there being 20 or so crews that are recommended so that does drown out the chances of the smaller chapters.  I have found that coaches aren't just going to select a chapter without having done some kind of research on that chapter.  The bad deal is that it only takes one coach to say a negative thing about one crew and that can affect the entire chapter.  Another side is that some of the games we got the coaches inquired about the number of games we had that week.  Apparently they would call a chapter who had a large number of games and then decided to go with a chapter with very few games.  To them, they didn't think they would get a top tier crew from the chapter that had 20 games but with the smaller chapter who had just a couple of games they could get a top tier crew.  So the bottom line is, work every game like a playoff game starting with the first game in September and become the crew that your own local coaches will refer to his "buddies".  Before you know it that coach will be referring you to his "buddies".

Get coaches out of the equation.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
Get coaches out of the equation.

I agree, but how?  That's really the question.  As long as coaches have as strong an influence with the UIL, I don't see any possibility of it changing. 

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
I agree, but how?  That's really the question.  As long as coaches have as strong an influence with the UIL, I don't see any possibility of it changing.
  Because taking the "politics" out of the coaches hands, and putting into the hands of Chapter assignors is always going to be the answer!  Are we taking away the coaches right to agree on officials away only for the playoffs, or also during the regular season?  How do you justify separating those two?  HS is not like college.  In smaller chapters where there are not as many choices, you are saying a coach must the "stuck" with whoever the assignor wants to send -- regardless of their history or the assignors history with a coach?  And, if coaches in smaller chapter areas get a "choice" -- why not the coaches in Houston, Dallas, SA, Austin etc. 

This is to say there is no perfect system to do this.  Its always a matter of whose ox is getting gored.  Every systems has proponents and opponents.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »

Since this is off topic, I'm gonna start a new topic for this discussion.

Robert

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
I would just like to say that in reading the spread sheet for 13 years on here and on GMCGRIFF.com way back in the day.  The Houston Chapter is the only chapter in the state to have never worked a specific game classification.  That classification is  UIL 6man.  It is the only example of a chapter never working a specific classification.

I’ve been officiating in this great state for 30 years now.  I’ve been putting together the brackets I do for 15 of those 30 years.  I have a decent feel for what goes on and I realize what games a chapter gets, outside of Houston, is cyclical and very dependent upon what schools are still in the playoffs.  Seeing any given chapter have a bad week, by volume of games, means very little when thinking of the quality of their officiating.  It means absolutely squat.  The chapters at the edges of the state get very little.  That’s a simple fact.  El Paso, RGV, South TX, Beaumont, East TX, Commerce, Amarillo (not as much), get very little after the second or third round.  That’s about geography more than quality, IMHO.  I’ve seen some of their better crews and they do a great job.  Houston is a different story.  They are huge.  They cover all of region III and parts of region II an IV.  They have a good reputation and many, many crews to choose from.  Any of the best crews from any chapter in the state are as good as the best crew from Houston, but there are just many more of those good crews in Houston.  Tommy is a great representative for Houston, and actually all of TASO.  Not a better guy in this state of Texas for officials, period.  Things won’t change in the way of evening things out as far as playoff games any time soon. Simple fact, but if you want to work later round playoff games, you have to get into one of those chapters that tends to work those games and then prove yourself.  Thoughts from an old TOOT...

Offline Redriverref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Is it my imagination or does Houston Ref work OT on Being a jackass?

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
Yeah, that's an idiotic comment he made.

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
FELLAS It was a joke and a hilarious one at that. R E L A X

If redriverref made a comment about Houston Ref got the shaft in week 3 and bct said HoustonRef enjoys getting the shaft I woulda laughed and gave y’all positive rep.

Y’all too sensitive

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
Updated.  Still lots of holes for this week.  Please send info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2fhukp8tvo1t63/2017TRNY%20Week%201.pdf?dl=0

Here's what I still need for this week.  Houston probably has a lot of these but I've not heard from them yet.

Trinity / Allen
Katy / North Shore
Lake Travis / O'Connor
Longview / Lufkin
Cy-Fair / Langham Creek
Westlake / Steele
Ryan / Lub Coronado
Highland Park / Lake Ridge
Manvel / Temple
Angleton / Roster
FB Marshall / College Station
Aus McCallum / Calallen
Salado / WOS
Grandview / Kemp
Teague / Rockdale
Gunter / New Diana
Newton / Waskom
Centerville / San Augustine
Timpson / Tenaha
Strawn / Milford

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
UIL Playoff Brackets
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »
Calallen v AustinMcCallum is SAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »
Kemp v Grandview is Dallas

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +3/-5
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
Trinity / Allen - Houston
Katy / North Shore - Houston
Lake Travis / O'Connor - Houston
Longview / Lufkin - Houston
Cy-Fair / Langham Creek - Houston
Westlake / Steele - Houston
Ryan / Lub Coronado
Highland Park / Lake Ridge - Houston
Manvel / Temple - Houston
Angleton / Foster - Houston
FB Marshall / College Station - Houston
Aus McCallum / Calallen
Salado / WOS
Grandview / Kemp
Teague / Rockdale - Houston
Gunter / New Diana
Newton / Waskom - Houston
Timpson / Tenaha
Strawn / Milford

Offline HoustonRef

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
Ryan / Lub Coronado
Aus McCallum / Calallen
Salado / WOS
Grandview / Kemp
Gunter / New Diana
Timpson / Tenaha
Strawn / Milford
aWaRd

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
FELLAS It was a joke and a hilarious one at that. R E L A X

If redriverref made a comment about Houston Ref got the shaft in week 3 and bct said HoustonRef enjoys getting the shaft I woulda laughed and gave y’all positive rep.

Y’all too sensitive

Well, if it was intended as a joke I don't think anyone else took it that way. I don't think this is a "Y'all too sensitive" issue. To make obviously disparaging comments about other chapters is not funny no matter which chapter it is in my humble opinion. This is the last I will comment on this.

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
Ryan / Lub Coronado
Aus McCallum / Calallen
Salado / WOS
Grandview / Kemp
Gunter / New Diana
Timpson / Tenaha
Strawn / Milford

Houston cleaning up!! I do not think that means the chapter is any better though at officiating football...maybe just better at talking to coaches........

Offline JKBman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Well, if it was intended as a joke I don't think anyone else took it that way. I don't think this is a "Y'all too sensitive" issue. To make obviously disparaging comments about other chapters is not funny no matter which chapter it is in my humble opinion. This is the last I will comment on this.

I thought it was funny...and I'm the one asking about the shaft! hahahahahah...everyone have a good weekend of games.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Houston cleaning up!! I do not think that means the chapter is any better though at officiating football...maybe just better at talking to coaches........

First Year Guy, this is pretty much just geography.  Happens every year.  There are just so many teams in the general Houston area, as teams in outer parts of the state advance, they almost always move toward metropolitan areas for next round games.  Houston has good officials, just as El Paso, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Wichita Falls, Lubbock, et al.  Simple geography and economics govern.  Move any of those Houston crews to El Paso, and they are probably sitting home this week.  Nothing to do with ability.

Robert

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
Only 3 of the games came to the Houston Chapter due to Houston team vs Houston team, the rest could have gone to at least one or two other big chapters, I do not think it is a geography issue