Author Topic: The "dreaded" Band Question  (Read 1697 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
The "dreaded" Band Question
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:53:32 PM »
Looking for viewpoints on how we should address Team B's band playing while Team A is in formation ready to make signals or already calling out signals.

I've heard everything from never do anything with the band to warn the Team B Coach to ask them to stop then penalize if they subsequently don't.

For reference at the bottom of FR-95, it states the following:  5. Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise
that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (Rule 1-1-6).

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: The "dreaded" Band Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »
My choice is o2o to the wing, have him relay a message to administrator via the HC.

If you stop the game to give a warning, it usually does not go well.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline RD88

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
 When that occurs during a game, I (as Ref) without taking eyes off my keys, will raise a hand and gesture for quiet.  I say about 2/3 of the time the band gets quiet, which tells me that the band director is watching for that.  Otherwise, after another play or two, I'll ask the wing official to inform the coach or I will go to the coach myself.  This will upset some coaches but it's usually not the first time that this discussion has occurred between the HFC and the band director.   ::)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 07:59:50 AM »
Looking for viewpoints on how we should address Team B's band playing while Team A is in formation ready to make signals or already calling out signals.

I've heard everything from never do anything with the band to warn the Team B Coach to ask them to stop then penalize if they subsequently don't.

For reference at the bottom of FR-95, it states the following:  5. Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise
that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (Rule 1-1-6).

Pull a Randy Christal if you have to.  If A cannot hear their cadence, stop the game, find the game admin, and put a stop to it.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
We don't usually have any issue if they are just playing actual music.  It's when that loud blasting horn is blown just as the QB is giving his cadence.  I once had a "discussion" with a coach about this and we wanted to argue.  I told him that he should sound that same horn when his QB was calling out a cadence.  I think he got the point and he instructed the band director to not do it.  After the game he wanted me to send him the rule so I did.  The next week they were in the playoffs and apparently he didn't follow the rule as they did it again.  That crew from a different chapter wasn't so kind as the Referee tagged them with a UNS.  Those in his community told him that he was warned not to do that but chose to do it anyways.