Author Topic: Shirt Plackets  (Read 18119 times)

El Macman

Re: Shirt Plackets
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
BRUSH and FLUSH are longest (real, English) words I can come up with.

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
While I do think plackets look good on shirts and would love to wear them on my crew, I don't think it's practical for high school officials.  Lots of officials work many different positions as fill-ins and also work many different positions on sub-varsity games.  That would require a lot of different plackets, and you know how some (most) high school officials get about buying new things for their uniform that isn't a bare necessity.  Then you get the issue of do you sew it on or pin it on if you work multiple positions?  You'll get some guys that sew it and some guys that pin it, and the guys that pin it usually do a terrible job at it.  Then, if you made it optional for varsity, then some crews would have them and some not, which would look terrible for officials in the state as a whole.  Then there's that guy that's going to buy 1 shirt with 1 placket and wear that no matter what position he may be working that Friday night.

From a looks standpoint, I say yes.  From a practicality standpoint, DEFINITELY NO!!

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »
BRUSH and FLUSH are longest (real, English) words I can come up with.

Do you ever wonder why the BJ in a 7 man crew stands on the press box side on the coin toss?

R  L  F  B

()

S  U  H

Because people wouldn't stop laughing when they saw this:

R  L  F

()

B  U  S  H   

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
Shirt Plackets
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
Plackets/placards work with crews. We have many crews here adopting them with the understanding they need to have slick shirts in case a sub comes
around.

We don't wear them for subvarsity.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:18:30 AM »
What advantage does wearing them give to the official who is wearing it?  How does it help you oficiate the game better? 

Offline beaye1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »
People think that the look will give them an advantage when the playoffs come.  Looking the part is only a factor of the game itself...

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
How does wearing these letters make you "look good"?

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
Since college and pro guys wear them, it gives some fans the illusion that the guys working are at a higher level than ordinary.

Not saying I buy that, just an explanation.

I just advise crews that plan on wearing them to stick a plain shirt in their bag in case one crew member has to bail at the last minute and the sent replacement doesn't have the appropriate letter. I got a call during the very late afternoon once to fill in as head linesman at a stadium fairly close to my house. Had we been doing letters then, I probably would not have had an H.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
How does it help you oficiate the game better?

I don't think that they do at all. I really don't see the point but it's one of those "Hey the college and NFL officials do it so let's do it too."

Offline mishatx

• Free Agent
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 02:41:33 PM »
What advantage does wearing them give to the official who is wearing it?  How does it help you oficiate the game better?

The extra fabric provides a subtle amount of downforce, giving you better cornering ability when squaring off your spots.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
The extra fabric provides a subtle amount of downforce, giving you better cornering ability when squaring off your spots.

That may be the best reason we're not wearing them. My wing officials have enough "downforce" to deal with as it is!

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
If they're sewn on plackets, they create hot spot on your back where the air can't get through.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
Sounds something like "Give me a half turn of wedge and bump the right rear tire 1/4 lb of air pressure."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
Looks like, from TV highlights, that a lot of crews are wearing them.