Author Topic: AAF  (Read 6188 times)

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
AAF
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »
Anybody working the AAF or have a link to the rules they are going to be using?

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
Re: AAF
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »
Not sure the full rule set but Wikipedia has the major changes. Looks like we’ll get to see a variant of the Schiano rule in play

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football#Rules

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:08:25 AM »
Thanks.

So they are the primary differences but changes from the NFL Rulebook or NCAA?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »
Thanks.

So they are the primary differences but changes from the NFL Rulebook or NCAA?

Probably NFL

Offline jj06878

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • A flow of words is not proof of wisdom.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
                     AAF League Rules
General Playing rules will follow NFL playing rules with the below changes

There will be no Kickoffs:
In lieu of any Free Kick the ball will be spotted on the receiving teams 25-yard line for a new series to start each half and after the 2-point conversion attempt.
In lieu of any Safety Free Kick the ball will be spotted on the receiving teams 35-yard line for a new series following a safety.
Defensive punt formation. In a Standard Offensive punt formation- Defense must line up with no more than 5 players on either side of the snapper on the line of scrimmage.
Play clock—AAF will use a 35/25 second play clock—
35 second play clock-Outside of 2 minutes of the 1st half and 5 minutes of the second half no snap will be allowed prior to 10 seconds running off the play clock—i.e. no immediate snapping of the ball
Replay –2 coaches challenges will be allowed outside of 2 minutes of the first and second half. At or inside 2 minutes of either half all replay reviews will be initiated by the on-field Replay official positioned in the Replay booth. All Replay decisions will be made by the onsite Replay official.
A team’s unsuccessful challenge will be charged a Time-out
A team must have an available Time-out to request a challenge
Length of time-outs: All-natural Change of Possession, after PAT and Team timeouts will be 1 minute in length—The ready for play will be at the 1-minute mark—extending total time to 85 second possibility before next snap. TV formats may change this to allow for Media breaks.
Substitutions-Follow NFL guidelines-- not enforced inside 2 minutes of each half except in punt situations.
Halftimes will be 13 minutes and will start upon the Referees signal. The Referee will ensure there are no penalties or administrative issues and then signal for Half time to start.
OT—Regular Season
Loser of initial coin toss will have option in OT-Offense/Defense—or defend a specific goal
Ball will be spotted at the 10-yard line 1st and goal for one series.
All normal rules will apply—2-minute timing rules and all fouls enforced in accordance.
Each team will be allowed 1 time-out in overtime.
Game can be tied and will end after each team has one series.
Change of possessions (COP) are live and can be returned as this is part of a live ball.
If after a COP without a score by either team that series will have concluded by rule and the opponent will be awarded their series or the game will have ended.
No field goals will be permitted in regular season overtime
Playoff overtime will follow current Overtime rules
 There will be no Onside Kicks-
On side Kick conversion after 2-point conversion attempt
Allowed when team who has just attempted PAT is down in score by 17 points or more—or
At or inside 2 minutes of the first half and at or inside 5 minutes of the second half
Ball will be placed at Team A 28-yard line. The down and distance shall be 4th and 12 and regular 4th down rules will apply with one exception---All live ball team A fouls will be- Loss of down at the previous spot.
Safety/ On- Side Kick—Award team that scored 2 points the ball at their 35 or Team scored upon may have an Onside Kick (see above) conversion from their own 18-yard line. Down and distance shall be 4th and 12 and onside kick conversion rules apply

AAF Defensive Formation Rules
Defensive formations will be either 3-4 or 4-3 or Goal Line/Short Yardage

Maximum of 5 rushers on Pass plays- Play fake, RPO and Passer out of Tackle Box all restrictions will be exempt.
All Formation Rules will be in effect for offensive standard formations—IE one tight end and no other receiver within 2 yards of Tight end or tackle. Once the offense shows a formation with more than one tight end or tight slot then Formation rules are not in effect
There will be a maximum of 4 rushers from one side of the position of the ball at the snap
There must be a minimum of 3 down lineman –either with a hand on the ground or on LOS within arms each of neutral zone.
Defenders may cover tight end on the LOS and drop back in coverage, but once aligned on LOS they will be considered a designated rusher.
Defensive Lineman will be numbered 90-99 and must line up on the LOS. They may cover the tight end and drop in coverage but will still be considered one of the 5 rushers. There is no minimum requirement for number of Defensive Lineman in the game
Blitzers may not be adjacent in the defensive formation—I.E. if 2 blitzers, they must come from opposite sides of the position of the ball
 Blitzers must align at the snap from a position not more than 2 yards wider than widest Offensive lineman/ -this includes slot receiver lined up in regular splits adjacent to a lineman- and a depth of 7 yards. This will be known as the defensive Box

Heavy Formation
When the offense presents a heavy formation (TE/receiver aligned within 2 yards of the offensive tackle) the defense may put more than four players on the LOS within the width of the Tight Ends (including tight slot receivers).
A .In this formation The defense may rush an unlimited amount of players provided they were within the defensive Box at the snap

The penalty for An Illegal defensive Blitz shall be an Unsporstmanlike Conduct Foul-15 yard penalty and an Automatic first down.

An Illegal Blitz will be subject to Instant Replay review

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
Thanks jj06878.  Can I ask where those came from?

I'm assuming it's confirmed that it's variations from the NFL rulebook?

Offline jj06878

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • A flow of words is not proof of wisdom.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »
If you have to ask.....

these are variants from NFL rules

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:17:47 AM »
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:33:56 PM by TexDoc »

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »
Dean Blandino has said he will email me a copy of the rule book, so should be good soon.

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »
Dear god this is more complicated than the defensive rules of Arena Football. I soured on the AAF idea as soon as I read that they're not going to have kickoffs. I have a feeling this will end the same way the UFL did: two years and out.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
Dear god this is more complicated than the defensive rules of Arena Football. I soured on the AAF idea as soon as I read that they're not going to have kickoffs. I have a feeling this will end the same way the UFL did: two years and out.

There is a "Sky Judge" that will help with defensive illegalities.  He's the supervisor at the game and is on the O2O.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
I've 'heard' that illegal defensive contact will be called very tightly, and that offensive holding (in protection of the passer) will require a full takedown.  Twist/pull/restrict - if they stay on their feet - nothing.  They want to protect QBs and create lots of offense.

Just what I 'heard.'  Probably wrong.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
...and that offensive holding (in protection of the passer) will require a full takedown.  Twist/pull/restrict - if they stay on their feet - nothing. 

Now that's my definition there.   ;D

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • We are always learning
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:55:01 AM »
Mike Pereira is also acting as a consultant and it looks like he's got his way to trial an extra official in the booth to correct obvious mistakes.

They are also going with 8 on-field officials, anybody know where the 8th will be?  I'm assuming the same position the NFL would put them.

-----

"Pereira said it was modeled (sp) in part after the college targeting rule, which allows replay to step in and call targeting even if was not called on field, or take it off if was called but wasn't not really targeting.

"If you get a helmet-to-helmet spear and it's not called on the field, it can be picked up by the ninth official," Pereira said. "He has the ability to do it in real time. It doesn't go to replay. ... He can call down to the field and say, 'Hey, spearing on No. 33 of Birmingham, 15-yard penalty, let's go.'

"It's correcting errors on the field by another member of the officiating crew without having to go to replay to do it and having a three-minute stoppage to do it."

If the SkyJudge gets a quick replay, he could view it before the ball is snapped. They just can't delay the next snap."

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article225576595.html

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »
I've 'heard' that illegal defensive contact will be called very tightly, and that offensive holding (in protection of the passer) will require a full takedown.  Twist/pull/restrict - if they stay on their feet - nothing.  They want to protect QBs and create lots of offense.

Just what I 'heard.'  Probably wrong.

You heard right.  There's an official from your neck of the woods in the league. 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 08:40:52 PM »

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »
8th is the CJ. Same position as NCAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk