Author Topic: Is This Hurdling?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Is This Hurdling?
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
I know it's hard to tell without seeing the play, but here's what happened:

On a kickoff return, the runner had a good head of steam and approached 3 defenders. About a yard from contact, he leaped into the group of defenders. He didn't extend his foot or knee in front of him. It looked more like a Packer player doing the Lambeau leap than Edwin Moses running the hurdles.

We didn't throw a flag. What do you think? 

Never mind, just read the definition. Player did not have one or both feet or knees extended, so it sounds like we got it right.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:15:11 AM by FLAHL »

NJOfficial

Re: Is This Hurdling?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
Was he leading with his helmet?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:39:48 AM »
No, he didn't lead with his helmet.  I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish. I guess the rule book doesn't classify what he did as illegal, so it must be legal.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »
If his action was intended to get over the pile so he could land on his feet again to keep going, then you have a hurdle. I'm guessing NJ's comment was to see if he was trying to go over a pile like a runner does at the goal line. If he wasn't then what he did was very dangerous. A hurdle is as much a safety issue for the runner as it is for the defender. Your play definitely sounds like it could be a hurdle.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:26:16 AM »
I don't think so. The definition of hurdling includes the requirement of one or both feet or knees leading the way (foremost). A player can dive over another player, turn a flip, land on his feet and keep going without penalty.