Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version  (Read 40556 times)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
10 seconds left in the 2nd quarter. A12's pass is intercepted at the B30 yardline by B24. While B24 is advancing the ball B77 blocks A55 in the back at the B47. B24 runs for a touchdown. Time expires during the down.

We march of the 10 yards from B47. First and 10 from from the 37. A's coach is going crazy on the sideline. I figure this one deserves an explanation so I go over to the coach.

Coach: "I don't want the penalty. I don't want to give them another play."

Me: "Coach, you wan them to have the touchdown?"

Coach: "No"

Me: "Can't have it both ways, coach."

Coach: "Why not?"

Me: "You can accept the penalty and they get another play or you can decline the penalty, the TD will stand and we will do the PAT before halftime. Those are your choices"

Coach: "That's a stupid rule."

Me: "I assume you'll accept the penalty."

Had a very similar play in a youth game today. B's coach is going on about the call. R says half is over. I tried to convince my referee we had to give B an untimed down. He and the U tried to convince me otherwise and by that time the two teams had left the field. He then mentioned that B's coach was being an a@@ anyways, so he was fine with not giving them a play. B's coach was being an a@@ and we ended up stopping the game in the 4th because of B's out of control parents (no restraints on the sidelines). Not a fun day on the field

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
Had one Friday night 4th and forever. A was in punt formation as the snap rolled back to the punter there was a heavy rush. Punter picks up ball and runs the ball for about 5 yard gain.  During the tackle there is a 5 yard face mask call. As I am explaining the options to the kicking team the coach yells from the sidelines that a automatic 1st down.  I explain that it just a 5 yard foul and that they would have to rekick after the foul or have the ball turned over at the spot of the tackle.. He he pleads his case that all face mask calls are 15 yards and automatic 1st downs that I was wrong the he saw it on tv last Saturday. I had then to advise him we were playing under  different code.  The look on his face was priceless
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:35:16 PM by BIG DON »
do or do not there is no try

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »
"Why do you have to blow the whistle before every play?"  He was trying to catch the other team with a scrimmage defense on the field while executing a punt.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:41:34 AM by bkdow »
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

IAUMP

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:41 PM »
Had one Friday night 4th and forever. A was in punt formation as the snap rolled back to the punter there was a heavy rush. Punter picks up ball and runs the ball for about 5 yard gain.  During the tackle there is a 5 yard face mask call. As I am explaining the options to the kicking team the coach yells from the sidelines that a automatic 1st down.  I explain that it just a 5 yard foul and that they could rekick or have the ball turned over at the spot of the tackle.
  My question is why didn't you assess the 5 yard penalty and replay the down?

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
Could should have been would have to rekick after the foul. I will go fix it. Thanks for bringing my typo to my attention
do or do not there is no try

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Could should have been would have to rekick after the foul.
Say WHAT? ??? ???
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »
I've heard of anticipating PI or holding. However, after I  ^flag a PF facemask last week. Coach told me "You anticipated a facemask and blew your whistle and the facemask never happened."

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
I've seen officials get too quick dropping the antsy-hanky when they see a hand across a facemask..... but nothing is grabbed and then the hand slides harmlessly away.

See... Read... THEN React.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
Just last night, from a player - umpire and I threw a flag for illegal substitution as 12 men lined up in the formation on 4th down.  The punter turned to me and asked "who shouldn't have been in?"

I especially enjoyed that because the offense had only had 10 men in the game for first, second, and third down.  They even got flagged for a six man line twice - declined in both cases, since they lost yards on those two plays.  (Apparently, it's not easy to block 11 B players with only 10 A players).

Oddly enough, both my wings were certain that they had a 7 man line on 2nd down.  It didn't help the blocking, but they were sure the line was legal that play.

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
Had a coach hollering they only had ten on the field.  I explained they had seven on the line and he informs me that is not legal.  I tell him "coach they can play with 8 if they want as long as they have 7 on the line." 

He looks at me and say "if that's not the dumbest thing I ever heard... Who the hell would want to play with 8"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:38 AM »
Few weeks ago in a JV game A calls a timeout. B coach yells they were out of timeouts. All 4 officials had this as the 3rd, he again said they were out. I showed him my game card, 1) 3q 6:36 2) 4q 5:27 and 3) 4q :36, and asked him to show me his game card. He Said never mind and walked away.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
I got told repeatedly and at great length pretty much the entire second half that we were calling the worst officiated game the coach had seen in two years.  I've spent all weekend wondering which smart-aleck response - both of which almost slipped out at one point - would have gotten me in more trouble:

A) "If you think this is bad, coach, you should have seen us last week!"

B) "What a coincidence.  This is the worst coached game I've seen in the last two years."

I'm guessing B...

Alminox

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
IFAF (NCAA) Rules.   "He was not a restricted interior lineman, because his hands were above his knees"

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster, but I had a great quote this year and just had to share.

In a peewee game this year, I'm working HL and the visitors (my sideline) get called for a block in the back early in the game, and then a while later a PF facemask. As we're marking off the 15 yards for the facemask, the coach on my sideline starts getting agitated. After the next play:

Coach -- "That was a 15 yard foul?"
Me -- "Yes, it was"
Coach -- "What about that block in the back earlier? That wasn't 15!"
Me -- "No. That's 10 yards"

He grumbles, but goes back to coaching for a bit. Then during a timeout later, he comes to me and asks:

"What's the difference between 15 yards and 10 yards?"

It took all my might not to sarcastically reply "5 yards".

Turns out, he thought the BiB was a PF as well. I got that clarified for him, and he was happily on his way.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
I had a coach in a playoff game last night, NCAA, Texas UIL rules, complain about a facmask that I missed and I told him rules states he has to grab and pull. The player had him wrapped up with one arm around the waste and one around the head. Where his fore arm was in the facemask and hand on the side of the helmet. As they rolled toward me the players head dug into the grass and his helmet pushed into his face. The coaches proof of a face mask was his nose was bleeding. I had to explain to him if his hand was on his facemask it wouldn't of touched his nose. Then I informed him that his facemask was pushed into his face by the ground because his helmet was too loose.
on another note they also got extremely upset about two DPI's called by our BJ where the ball was caught by the offense. Screaming at me that its not a spot foul. I told them I know but a reception is placed at the spot. LOL They then turned around in embarrasement

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Not from a coach and also from last year but....:
Player: "Haven`t you seen it? He has bitten into my fingers ....!"
Player 2:"Face Mask! Didn`t you see him pull?"

LJ:"No, sorry if we missed that one. But I dont think that you two want to discuss this one out ìn detail   >:D

Adults .... pi1eOn

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
Play that happened on my last game of the season.

QB rolls out scrambling, as he throws downfield it lands in nothing but open space. I am flank so I go in to report to R that I have wide open space. But, he has already thrown the flag down immediately after QB throws ball. My sideline (B) goes NUTS about a bad call thinking it's for roughing the passer.

I head over to very irate sideline to inform HC.
whole sideline: "That's a terrible call", "That's just awful"...
Me (to HC): " Coach do you know what the call is?"
HC: "No. But you guys really screwed that one up."
Me: "Coach, the foul is for intentional grounding."
HC: "Oh!"
Me: "So they are going to lose 5 yards from the flag"
Assist Coach (interrupting): "They lose a down right? That means it's 4th down?"
Me: "Yes. We will have 4th down. Maybe next time you want to wait until I tell you the foul?"

Last 2 and a half quarters of my season couldn't have asked for a better sideline. Amazing how a little calm communication goes a long way.

How many months until next season?

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Re: Re: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
Play that happened on my last game of the season.

QB rolls out scrambling, as he throws downfield it lands in nothing but open space. I am flank so I go in to report to R that I have wide open space. But, he has already thrown the flag down immediately after QB throws ball. My sideline (B) goes NUTS about a bad call thinking it's for roughing the passer.

I head over to very irate sideline to inform HC.
whole sideline: "That's a terrible call", "That's just awful"...
Me (to HC): " Coach do you know what the call is?"
HC: "No. But you guys really screwed that one up."
Me: "Coach, the foul is for intentional grounding."
HC: "Oh!"
Me: "So they are going to lose 5 yards from the flag"
Assist Coach (interrupting): "They lose a down right? That means it's 4th down?"
Me: "Yes. We will have 4th down. Maybe next time you want to wait until I tell you the foul?"

Last 2 and a half quarters of my season couldn't have asked for a better sideline. Amazing how a little calm communication goes a long way.

How many months until next season?

I would be so tempted in that situation to ask the coach, "Bad call? Would you like us to pick up the flag?" Then wait for him to say "Yes, of course!" and then signal the IG and waive it off.  :!#

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
Few weeks ago in a JV game A calls a timeout. B coach yells they were out of timeouts. All 4 officials had this as the 3rd, he again said they were out. I showed him my game card, 1) 3q 6:36 2) 4q 5:27 and 3) 4q :36, and asked him to show me his game card. He Said never mind and walked away.

I hope he was charged a DoG  :sTiR:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:09:14 AM by Aussie-Zebra »
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
NCAA game: QB calls 3rd timeout with about 1:15 to go in the game.  Coach of the QB looks confused.  When the team is coming back to the field, the Coach yells me: "Per NCAA rules, I am the only one who can call timeout!!  Why did you let him call timeout?"  Confused, I said, "So, you do not want your captain, the QB, to call timeout?"  He just walked away.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »
Player not a coach.

Team calls a timeout. Officials congregate near the centre conferring when a player approaches and complains that he has been blocked in the back 3 times and in addition says "How much do we have to pay you to call a fair game ?"

^flag  ^flag  ^flag  ^flag  ^flag  ^flag  ^flag (7 man crew)
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »
This occurred several years ago, but gave me a chuckle then and provided cannon fodder for support of enforcing B fouls from previous spot on plays ending behind LOS :

(1) Early in the game visiting QB is scrambling when he is tackled by PF FM 18 yds behind LOS.
(2) I instruct U sNiCkErS to begin his journey from there,netting A a loss of 3 yds.
(3) Visiting coach calls time, as he doesn't feel the enforcement is fair.
(4) I explain, "you get to replay the down, and only lose 3 yards instead of 18."
(5) The coach grunted his acceptance and the band played on.....

until midway thru the 3rd period, with the home team leading 40-0..WHEN :o ::) :P :-\.......

(6) Home QB is scrambling when he is tackled by PF FM 18 yds behind LOS AS HE THROWS AN INCOMPLETE PASS. ::) ::)
(7)I instruct U sNiCkErS to begin his journey from :o previous spot.
(7) Visiting coach's head :!# begins to spin around like the little girl in The Exchorist
(8) I felt obligated to explain the difference without costing him a timeout.
      .....you can get away with more if you say it with a  ;D...
(9) As I neared his sideline and began to say: "I want to explain the difference......"; the coach interrupted my by saying (with a big ;D) : "I understand the difference, they're the home team ;D nAnA...."
(10) I ,too, :D ;D and tried to explain the difference between a running play and a loose ball behind LOS.
(11) Coach responded : "Do you think that's a lousy rule?"
(12) I replied : "When it occurs in this scenario, yes yEs:"
(13) Coach finally said : "We're behind by 40 points because we can't block,tackle,pass or run...NOT because of a lousy rule...you guys are doing a very good job,keep it up."

...and the band played on....