Author Topic: another missed Hurdling penalty  (Read 6280 times)

Offline MSWBKLYN

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
another missed Hurdling penalty
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
The attempted tackler sure looks like he is standing up ?
http://usatodayhss.com/2014/this-is-the-hurdling-touchdown-of-the-year

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
another missed Hurdling penalty
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
Yeah I have hurdling on that play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: another missed Hurdling penalty
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
Don't think I'd call "hurdling" here.  Yes the opponent had both feet on the ground; but I'm hard pressed to say "one or both feet or knees of the runner were foremost over the opponent" - especially at real speed. 

The intent of the hurdling rule, IMHO, is to penalize a runner who uses his feet or knees as a "safety hazard" or as a deterrent to a potential tackler.  I don't see that here.  In fact the runner actually spread his legs letting the tackler run between them.  This looks like just a outstanding athletic play.
   aWaRd

Offline blarsen

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:58 PM »
I'd have to disagree.  By my reading of 2-22 hurdling has 2 requirements:

Jump with one or both feet or knees foremost
and
Jump over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet

This play clearly meets both requirements.  I think the spirit of this rule is to prevent players from trying to do this and failing.  In this play the knees and feet of the runner are very close to the defenders head.  If we allow (or even encourage) players to try this, defenders will certainly be kicked in the head.  In my mind, this is a safety issue and we should err on the side of caution

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
The is a perfect example of hurdling. Don't try to read too much into this. A runner jumps over a defender like a hurdler and lands on his feet. Don't make it too complicated. Hurdling is more to protect the runner than the defender.

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »
No Hurdle.  It doesn't meet the requirements.

"Jump over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet."

Defender's jaw was contacting the ground.  No foul.

nAnA

Good luck tomorrow night, boys!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:49:29 PM by SD_Casey »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:52 AM »
Since that's my association that worked that game, I'll back my fellow officials and say there clearly wasn't hurdling, since there's no flag on the ground. 

:D

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
The is a perfect example of hurdling. Don't try to read too much into this. A runner jumps over a defender like a hurdler and lands on his feet. Don't make it too complicated. Hurdling is more to protect the runner than the defender.

+1

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
IMHO, from the eye of the camera it certainly looked like hurdling; but from the eyes of the LJ it may not have- or may have caught him by surprise :o. hEaDbAnG Shame on USA Today for posting this probably illegal act as it will only encourage high school players to emulate. At the high school level, for every successful hurdle there are 10 unsuccessful ones where often both runner and tackler lay in a heap. hEaDbAnG. By the way, who/what was that running side-by-side with the runner all the way to and through the end zone ??? ????

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »
By the way, who/what was that running side-by-side with the runner all the way to and through the end zone ??? ????

Ralph, I think he's usually the ball boy down there - I've seen him there before, and it looks like he was about to get the football from the player.  Just a guess, though.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:49:16 AM »
Ralph, I think he's usually the ball boy down there - I've seen him there before, and it looks like he was about to get the football from the player.  Just a guess, though.
Give that kid a uniform, he appeared to keep up with the "high hurdles man" ;)!!

Offline GeorgiaBlue

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Call the trainwrecks, let the little stuff go
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
Shame on the USA Today?  Huh?

How about shame on the officials that missed it - and the many officials that continually miss these types of calls.  Let's not shoot the messenger.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:35 AM »
Shame on the USA Today?  Huh?

How about shame on the officials that missed it - and the many officials that continually miss these types of calls.  Let's not shoot the messenger.
Other than the messenger did not state that it was illegal and potentially dangerous. IMHO, when the media dramatizes plays like this it only encourages kids to try that,too. hEaDbAnG

Offline Kevin Durst

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »
Actually the "messenger" stated "the move to make a tackle" was what made the TD run legal.  I see nothing being done by the player trying to make the tackle that would make a hurdle legal.  Both his feet are on the ground and no other part of his body is touching the ground.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
Why would anyone expect the written comments of sports writers to be any more accurate, or well researched, than those comments of announcers?