Author Topic: All star game - ALAMODOME  (Read 3779 times)

Offline texasH

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
All star game - ALAMODOME
« on: January 05, 2020, 08:53:36 AM »
Anybody know who worked the local San Antonio all star game yesterday and the US Army All American bowl?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: All star game - ALAMODOME
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
Anybody know who worked the local San Antonio all star game yesterday and the US Army All American bowl?

San Antonio officials are chosen to work this game yearly.  Different guys every year.  I worked it 4 years ago.  It was a real honor.

Offline DieHardCubFan

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Question about the officiating:  I presume that NCAA rules are enforced (since these are players about to go to college), however, I noted numerous infractions for unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. showboating, etc.), along with the colored helmet visors on every player's helmet.  I again presume these were all approved officiating of the NCAA rules? 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 06:11:34 AM »
Question about the officiating:  I presume that NCAA rules are enforced (since these are players about to go to college), however, I noted numerous infractions for unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. showboating, etc.), along with the colored helmet visors on every player's helmet.  I again presume these were all approved officiating of the NCAA rules?

That's one of the unwritten rules related to these types of games - the players are permitted to "express" themselves quite a bit more than if it were a true competitive game.  Don't expect full-force officiating in those types of games.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »

The crew will meet with the production team a few days before the game.  One of the things the production team stresses is they want safety enforced, but the UC conduct, that they know will happen, needs to be loosely enforced, as well as uniforms, face shields, etc.  This is a game played to NCAA rules, with a production company really making the rules and running the clock.  In the game I officiated, I never knew what the clock was going to have on it because they kept shaving off time to fit into their window, and the breaks for players announcing the school they were committing to were very annoying and long.  Such is life.  It's their party.  Do what they ask.  In my game, when I had offsetting DBUC's late in the game, they asked me to just ignore that action and don't stop the game.  Fine with me.  This game is a show, about the players, not a team game played to win. 

Offline DieHardCubFan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »
Elvis & Doc I appreciate the feedback.  I presumed that it was essentially a "made for tv" game.  However, much like other topics that have been posted in the Texas Topics (i.e. uniforms at the state championships, etc., NCAA games on tv, etc.) when some of the younger kids see what these players are doing (and in reality, allowed to get away with) on television (much like what some NFL players do, it is hard for we officials and especially the great coaches we have here in Texas High Schools to stop that behavior on the field.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Actually the coaches can easily stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DieHardCubFan

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
You are correct and most of them do.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
You are correct and most of them do.

Really?  I haven’t seen a single one that paid more than lip service towards uniform and equipment compliance, except to complain about somebody on the opposing team.  They dang sure don’t don’t do it on their own, and they grudgingly and half-heartedly make it look like they are doing something about it when violations are brought to their attention (but not really).

Robert

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 07:24:58 AM »
Really?  I haven’t seen a single one that paid more than lip service towards uniform and equipment compliance, except to complain about somebody on the opposing team.  They dang sure don’t don’t do it on their own, and they grudgingly and half-heartedly make it look like they are doing something about it when violations are brought to their attention (but not really).

Robert

Agreed.  When coaches complain that the other team has __________.  Fill in the blank, illegal jerseys, pants not covering knees, back plates hanging out, spats (remember spats?), illegal towels, streamers, illegal jockstrap, etc.  Then you look at that coach's team and he's got the exact same issues.  It becomes fairly obvious that coach is trying to get a leg up while ignoring his team's own issues.  Most coaches don't want to deal with these topics, so they leave it to us.  That just doesn't work.  If they sign the uniform disclaimer before the game, that should be enough to release officials from any liability.  Maybe we should just enforce egregious violations and let the rest go.  Wait, that's really what we already do. 

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »

Robert

this...

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 03:30:51 PM »

Robert

My experience in general is coaches don't like it either, but they prefer to have us address it. If we say something to a player they often say "see I told you so."They don't care enough to enforce it if we don't.

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 10:38:17 AM »
Elvis & Doc I appreciate the feedback.  I presumed that it was essentially a "made for tv" game.  However, much like other topics that have been posted in the Texas Topics (i.e. uniforms at the state championships, etc., NCAA games on tv, etc.) when some of the younger kids see what these players are doing (and in reality, allowed to get away with) on television (much like what some NFL players do, it is hard for we officials and especially the great coaches we have here in Texas High Schools to stop that behavior on the field.

If you are addressing the second All-star game that kicked off at 5pm, don't think that crew didn't notice or is otherwise indifferent. In warmups prior to the game I did point out to the rest of the crew the shields, backplates, knees.
After all this time, I did marvel at seeing those shields. Perhaps if you're at the game you'd have a different perspective of what the crew did to address it. Did TV show us in called or TV time outs helping players cover their back plates, etc? 

But don't think the officials doing the game don't care. I do what I can do and I also do what the SOF for the game says to do.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline DieHardCubFan

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 12:34:17 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific to what rules violations I was speaking of at the "made-for-tv" All-American game.

While I did refer to the knees not being covered up (which heck, we saw so many of them last night at the NCAA National Championship Game)...I was really speaking of the taunting & excessive celebrations that were rampant the "All-American" game.