Author Topic: Best prank  (Read 15181 times)

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
Best prank
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »
Six man school, ladies of the community always cook meal for the coaches and officials for after the game, yes I know sounds strange already,  menu always good, and food a plenty,and always a large pan of banana pudding,
 Bumpire, large gent, overalls the only pants he could get into, sides unbuttoned because they won't meet, eyeballing the pan through out pre game, and mentioning it often.
 Game ends by 45 point rule, hl hauls it to dressing room, hides the goodies, oh the searching that happens, and he leaves in a huff, because he knows someone ate it.
 Quite a meal when we all sat down,

secondeagle

Re: Best prank
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
Must be Throckmorton, America

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Farther sw

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
Seeing that 'cowman' posted this...and Ft Worth is 'cow town' (thank you, George Strait).
i suppose i could connect the dots & wager a guess of Ft Worth.

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »
Think middle of nowhere, winning program for a lot of years,

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
Think middle of nowhere, winning program for a lot of years,
not a Texan, so I'll have to bow out at this point...

secondeagle

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
Strawn or Richland Springs

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Yep

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
Back when wrist band plays were starting to catch on in HS, there was a ref that was a prankster and loose cannon.  He was wearing a wristband as well, but obviously not one with plays on it.  One of the teams was using the wristband plays and the other was not.  When team A would send in their signals and look at the wristband, the ref started to look at his wristband too.  It drove team B's coach nuts.  he started screaming that the ref had the plays and knew what they were.  It was hilarious
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
Back when wrist band plays were starting to catch on in HS, there was a ref that was a prankster and loose cannon.  He was wearing a wristband as well, but obviously not one with plays on it.  One of the teams was using the wristband plays and the other was not.  When team A would send in their signals and look at the wristband, the ref started to look at his wristband too.  It drove team B's coach nuts.  he started screaming that the ref had the plays and knew what they were.  It was hilarious

Now that's funny.

I once put a fake rattlesnake underneath a crew members clothes that were on top of his bag when he went to shower.  I already knew of his fear of snakes so this made it even better.  Let me just say that he turned from one color of the stripe on our shirt to the other color when he picked up his clothes.

rickref

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
JUCO game was coming up and a day before our SJ calls me asking for an extra pair of knickers. I am a short guy but he is even shorter. We called him the jockey because he looks like one in knickers. So on the way down we ask our umpire for his extra pair. Is is a tall and big fellow.
So dressing for the game SJ wants the pants and we throw them to him. You should see his face once the legs are going in and we are like thats the extra we have. Full on panic!! 

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
Year 0 Umpire was officiating with a rascal of a referee.  He put the ball down after a change of possession and the referee came over to him and told him that the ball was backwards.  He said that the words had to face one way for the home team and the other way for the away team.  The umpire quickly changed the direction of the ball and every time there was a change of possession, he double checked the ball to make sure it was facing the correct way
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

busman

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
"He said that the words had to face one way for the home team and the other way for the away team. "

That is the best one yet. I can promise you as newbie, I would have fallen for that one hook, line and sinker. You are so anxious to do everything perfect, and all you ever hear is "Listen to the R, listen to the R. He will take care of you."

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
We were about 50 miles away from home for a playoff game and our B had his HS shirt and his 2" college strips in his bag.  When he wasn't looking, we took his HS shirt and hid it...he started to get dressed and realized that he only had one shirt--the wrong one.  He went into full panic mode, called his wife and she couldn't find it.  He put on the college shirt and was about to walk out for introductions before we let him off the hook!

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
Linesman whose wife always washed his uniform for him. White hat slips a pair of lacy red undies in his bag after he has packed it up after the game. Mr. Linesman had several questions to answer from his wife, including wanting an alibi from the crew members as to where he was on Friday night

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »
Linesman whose wife always washed his uniform for him.
That's his first mistake!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
I guess this would qualify as a prank of sorts.....Several years ago, I was watching a game that I worked being replayed by a local cable station. I knew the play-by-play man as a fellow baseball umpire (known more for his talk than his game). In the game we had : (1) several close measurements - the P-B-P man accurately  "predicted" ;) the outcome each time; (2) he "predicted" several play calls before they were ran; (3) he "saw" the fouls that we called before they were announced.... :!# :bOW I thought to myself : "WOW, he's much better at this than umping baseball :thumbup :thumbup!" ....I few weeks later, the cable station was again filming my game and I spotted the awesome TV announcer on the sidelines holding a TV camera...

Me : " Hal, what's this? Did you get demoted :) :)?"

Hal : "Na, I just record the game and crowd noise tonight. Tommorrow I'll add the play-by-play nAnA nAnA"

As Paul Harvey used to say: "...And now you know the rest of the story!"

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
We were about 50 miles away from home for a playoff game and our B had his HS shirt and his 2" college strips in his bag.  When he wasn't looking, we took his HS shirt and hid it...he started to get dressed and realized that he only had one shirt--the wrong one.  He went into full panic mode, called his wife and she couldn't find it.  He put on the college shirt and was about to walk out for introductions before we let him off the hook!

Huuuuuuuummmm! Sounds like someone I know who had to wear the college shirt till his wife did bring his HS shirt..................
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline allen

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
I once photoshopped my crews former umpire in a pink fat-guy-wearing girls lingerae type nightgown and scotch taped it on our white hats game card with the caption "miss me yet?"

Every timeout, he lost his composure a little bit.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »
Our regular Umpire was at a Pastor's Convention for the weekend. White Hat decided to put our clock operator at Umpire. Replacement went upstairs. Mike was a short Jewish Gent. I'm talking all of 5'1" with lifts in his shoes. Pre Game chugging right along, serious locker room. I went into the bathroom for a second and came back with my afternoon idea.

"So that we can see Mike during the game, I threw this together."

Orange Bicycle flag with a belt for his pants and shoulder straps.

We had a good game in spite of not being able to see him all the time. He took the flag home to show his wife.

Offline SMATX

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
Years ago I was taking a crew of brand new officials to work a six man varsity game in a very small town located about 30 miles from our chapter.  This particular school usually had a graduating class of no more than eight students so it was typical of many small town rural Texas schools.  I had been to the school a few times over the years and they quite often kept goats in the playground area to keep the grass down.  In fact, it was not unusual to see ‘signs’ that the goats had been on the football field as well doing some ‘maintenance work’ there.  While driving to the game, we were having pregame and discussing various football topics.  About five minutes before arriving at the school, I told the three rookies, “I don’t know if anyone has told you guys  but sometimes these really small schools cannot afford to pay the officials in currency and sometimes, crews have been paid in livestock or produce; such as chickens, pigs, sheep, corn  etc”.  Nobody said a word when I mentioned that possibility and we went on to discuss a few other football topics.  As we pulled into the school, and rounded the corner of the building, I could see the goats inside the playground which was about a hundred yards away.  As we drove past that fenced part of the school, I looked out the window and said, “It looks like we may be getting paid in goats tonight”, then I said, “I have dibs on that little tender one”.  There was an awkward few seconds of silence then finally, one guy kind of stuttered and said, “I don’t want no goat” and the other two immediately replied, “Me either”.  I could not stop laughing as we parked the car.  They were quite relieved when they finally figured out I was only joking with them.  I am not sure if they remember any of the plays from their first varsity game but I suspect they still remember the good laugh we had about the goats.