Author Topic: Measurements  (Read 7107 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Measurements
« on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Is this the way your association handles measurements when the ball and chain have to be brought into the hashmarks?

[yt=425,350]Akv0WGSjyic[/yt]

Grant - AR

Re: Measurements
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
We typically leave the ball where it is and bring the chain to the hash marks where an official is waiting with a new ball.  Is that what you are talking about?

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
over a yard short on a well marked field, dont think im bringing out the chains on this one.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Is this the way your association handles measurements when the ball and chain have to be brought into the hashmarks?

Other than I find it extremely unlikely that we'd have a measurement on a ball that far away from the line to gain, yes, that looks about right.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
Leave the ball there and get a new one.  If you somehow drop the chain, you can go back to the ball to re-grasp the chain.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »
I believe in my corner in CA the R would take the ball with him.  Here I haven't seen it done yet but obtaining a new ball seems to be the right way to go.  That's assuming you're not working a subvarsity game where they only have one ball to begin with.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »
BJ better have a new ball ready.  Measure, get new ball, leave old ball in place and move chains in to hash.

Aside from this, why in the world would you even consider a measurement here?  It wasn't even close.

foureyedzebra

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Agree. Get a new ball and leave this one here until the new one is spotted. Also, LJ should be facing North/South while assisting the HL in positioning the chain.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:17:03 AM by foureyedzebra »

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »
In Canada, the FJ (deep middle) would have a new ball ready @ the hash mark.  The R picks up the chain only and the original stays in case the R drops the chain/loses his link.

Additionally, on a well lined field like that, anything less than a ball width's is a good measurement.  Anything more than a ball width's is a bad measurement.

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
In the UK, we teach that someone (who exactly will vary with crew size) should get a spare ball and have it ready for when we get to the hash marks. I want the old ball left in place in case the WH drops the chain.

Beautifully marked field - we'd kill to work on fields like that every week over here.

I can see what folks are saying about this measure coming up so short. Nevertheless I would say that sometimes there are occasions in tight games where you measure obvious shorts or first downs to prove to everyone what the result of the play is.
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Diablo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
Good BJs will drop a bean bag on the ground immediately in front of the ball's nose.  That serves as a backup in case the B (ball holder), U (chain puller), R, etc accidentally dislodge the ball.  Also, the bean bag on the ground allows for moving the ball into hash with the chain in those games where only one ball is used.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
Great tip Diablo.