Author Topic: Is punching forward now an accepted mechanic?  (Read 5542 times)

Harry

Is punching forward now an accepted mechanic?
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
I've seen it twice this weekend in FBS games.  The covering wing official punched a pass forward.  Is this now accepted?  I've been told not to do this in the past and I never really understood why.  It's a positive change.  I don't remember the first time I saw it, but the second was by the L in the Navy-Maryland game.

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
Re: Is punching forward now an accepted mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:02 AM »
punch backward for bkwrd pass (fumble)--if it's forward,our assoc had this topic,and forward punch of pass isnt necessary

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
Might have been punching it as beyond the line rather than forward/backward.

Dommer1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
punch backward for bkwrd pass (fumble)--if it's forward,our assoc had this topic,and forward punch of pass isnt necessary

Punching backwards for a fumble sounds like a pretty bad idea...

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
So on a forward pass caught behind the line does the L punch both ways??

cougar729

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »
Not to sound too critical, but what is the reason for punching it forward if its caught?

If its forward bedhind the line and he catches it, play on, if its dropped wipe it off

Offline Andrew McCarthy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
One reason would be if this was supposed to be a backward pass that accidentally went forward and the wideout then launched a (second) forward pass downfield.

LarryW60

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
One reason would be if this was supposed to be a backward pass that accidentally went forward and the wideout then launched a (second) forward pass downfield.
I would presume the official who determined the first pass was forward would drop the flag for the second forward pass in this situation.  No need to be sending signals to the rest of the crew - and I CERTAINLY hope it's not being done to signal to the player.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
I would presume the official who determined the first pass was forward would drop the flag for the second forward pass in this situation.  No need to be sending signals to the rest of the crew - and I CERTAINLY hope it's not being done to signal to the player.
yep- or the fact that he didn't punch back was an indication that it wasn't backward.  Unless he punched back because it was caught behind the line.  You bring up a good point- would we be better off if we didn't signal at all??