Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: 2021 S-B Quiz Week 14
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 09:02:19 PM »
Curious about 2. Should there be a choice for starting the clock on the RFP ?

I have contended it it could, but others would say that the OB trumps the completion of the penalty, and would govern. The rule language is ambiguous on this point.

ncwingman- My understanding of the IG POE was to remind us that it IS Intentional Grounding if the QB chucks into the stands but yet in the general direction of his WR's general location near the sideline.

Yes, but in my (probably more limited) experience, a POE doesn't actually change anything regarding how fouls are called. If you want, especially old-guard, officials to call something a certain way, you need to emphasize a change in the rule itself... and even then...

As an extreme example, we could have a POE about proper field markings next year. What happens the first week when you go to the field with the logo covering up the 50 yard line? Nothing is going to happen and you're going to play football even though it's technically against the rules. If you want it to really change, you need to change the rule to explicitly state "Action X is a foul with penalty Y".
« Last post by Covid 22 on Yesterday at 07:34:45 PM »
Curious about 2. Should there be a choice for starting the clock on the RFP ?

All that makes sense. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I posted this because in the game I referenced the defense was flagged for having 12 on the field right after the offense broke its huddle and approached the LOS. But, when the offense had 12 when it broke it huddle its 12th player was allowed to leave the field under not penalty. I'm guessing both were administered properly.
ncwingman- My understanding of the IG POE was to remind us that it IS Intentional Grounding if the QB chucks into the stands but yet in the general direction of his WR's general location near the sideline.

Ralph- I remember the term "cheap shot" being thrown around as the reason when the rule was changed to allow the scoring team to keep the TD and assess the yardage but as time has gone by, do any of us consider a really crappy DPI attempt, a defensive hold, or an illegal sub on the defense a "cheap shot"?  I just think a score AND subsequent yardage for that type of foul is a bit harsh.  PF's heck yeah, lay it to them.
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 03:07:48 PM »
2.  A 3/27 A-8??

Yep. Bad math on my part. Thanks.
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 03:05:45 PM »
On number 8, being in the tackle box has no bearing on the foul. If he is in a passing posture he is protected.

Yep. I shouldn't have missed that, but I did. Thanks.
« Last post by Stinterp on Yesterday at 03:02:08 PM »
2.  A 3/27 A-8??
If you've already answered the questionnaire, thanks, we do see the national results and your opinions may sway some that are "straddling the lobster crate" (some non-Mainers may say: "Sitting on the fence ??? ").

DPI = auto 1st down - YES! This would prevent the potential foul from preventing a TD or a new series in some situations. DPI penalty often creates a new series with yardage (80+% of the time), while OPI ALWAYS costs B a loss of down. OPI should not be changed.

Ralph, I respectfully am disagreeing with you on this.  I think automatic first downs should be reserved for the more flagrant roughing the passer type fouls.  It would be tough on the defense in long yardage situations to get called for a dinky dpi that is not even close to the line to gain.  The automatic first down even when the LTG has not been acheived is too big a penalty in my opinion.

2.  can you clarify what you mean by saying "OPI always costs B a loss of down"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10