Author Topic: What a way to start the season  (Read 18527 times)

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
What a way to start the season
« on: August 24, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
First game of the season,  three ejections for fighting and 12 personal fouls. 

LJ had two players fighting and stated that a third player came out of nowhere and like a WWE wrestler coming off the top rope landed on the two fighting and started getting in his shots. 

Three other episodes of wrestling no fists but off setting PF's, and a few late hits.  Didn't realize going into the game that these teams did not like each other.  How could I it was their first meeting, I feel for next years crew.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

FredFan7

Re: What a way to start the season
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Ouch!  Was this a varsity game?  Where were the coaches?  Did they try to calm the teams downa and play football (apparently NOT!)?

How long was the post-game report to the state association?

Well, think of it like this - there's nowhere to go but up for the rest of the season! ^TD

Offline BIG UMP

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
Fred, saw the film and not a coach left the sideline and yes it was varsity.   End men said neither coach addressed the situation on the sideline.

Report took about 45 minutes, including getting all information from the crew and submitting the report.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

FredFan7

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
I hope the state association has a little sit-down with both programs.....

LarryW60

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
I don't know if we've just been lucky or if the penalty is really a deterrent.  We haven't had any fights (yet).  Virginia mandates a 2-game suspension if a player is ejected for fighting and a 1-game suspension for any other ejection.  That means they are going to sit out around 20% of the season for throwing a punch.  Virginia added another rule this year making the regular season suspension rules active even during scrimmages and jamborees.  So a player ejected for fighting during the last scrimmage before the season starts, will sit out the first two games of the season.
 :thumbup

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Where are the coaches in this mess ? If I were a Principal watching the game ..... come Tuesday after Labor Day .....I got Coaches, Players and Parents sitting in my office. Coaches would be warned in front of everyone. "I may not be able to discipline these players because their Moms and Dad's might sue to have Johnny play, but you'd better make Johnny's life miserable on the football practice field so that this never happens again .....or you guys better polish up your resumes cause you won't be here to see the end of the season."

On second thought, Johnny gets suspended for the season. Then let me the Judge ruling over the stupid lawsuit. Chastize the hell out the attorney for bringing such crap to my courtroom and then ban Johnny and Parents from the field for the remainder of the season for being stupid.

Big-Tee

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I don't know if we've just been lucky or if the penalty is really a deterrent.  We haven't had any fights (yet).  Virginia mandates a 2-game suspension if a player is ejected for fighting and a 1-game suspension for any other ejection.  That means they are going to sit out around 20% of the season for throwing a punch.  Virginia added another rule this year making the regular season suspension rules active even during scrimmages and jamborees.  So a player ejected for fighting during the last scrimmage before the season starts, will sit out the first two games of the season.
 :thumbup

What part of VA do you officiate in?

LarryW60

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »
Doesn't matter.  This is the VHSL's rule and should be applied/enforced throughout the Commonwealth.

Big-Tee

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »
Doesn't matter.  This is the VHSL's rule and should be applied/enforced throughout the Commonwealth.

Wasnt questioning the rule. Just wondering what part of VA your officiate in

LarryW60

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »
Actually, I mis-spoke.  We don't apply that aspect of the rules at all.  Suspensions are something that the VHSL issues and enforces.  Even if a player who was disqualified during the previous game is in the next game, we don't address that as officials.  I imagine it would be up to the opposing coach to file a protest with the VHSL on the matter.

My association prefers that I make comments on the internet as myself and not have them tied to it in any way.  Even if I preceded every comment with a disclaimer that these are my views only, someone would still look at something I posted and say, "Such and Such Association's officials are clueless!"  It's better that the only comments connected in any way to the association come from the association's commissioner.

Big-Tee

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

My association prefers that I make comments on the internet as myself and not have them tied to it in any way.  Even if I preceded every comment with a disclaimer that these are my views only, someone would still look at something I posted and say, "Such and Such Association's officials are clueless!"  It's better that the only comments connected in any way to the association come from the association's commissioner.

Thats understandable

Offline BIG UMP

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
Fadamor, don't think you get it yet.  VaDeepRef is trying to find out what part of VA you are from.
Big Ump

Big-Tee

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
Fadamor, don't think you get it yet.  VaDeepRef is trying to find out what part of VA you are from.

Thanks tiphat:

LarryW60

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »
Yeah I get it.  The problem is that Virginia's official's associations are regionalized so identifying where I am identifies the association I work for.

Grant - AR

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
Yeah I get it.  The problem is that Virginia's official's associations are regionalized so identifying where I am identifies the association I work for.

Just send him a personal message if you don't want it on the board.  :thumbup

VALinesman

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »

Why would that be a problem?

LarryW60

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:19 PM »
I'll refer you to reply #9 and ask a counter-question... Why does it matter?

VALinesman

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
I'll refer you to reply #9 and ask a counter-question... Why does it matter?

Sorry I missed that post. Sounds reasonable to me...I didn't think of it that way.

Offline BIG UMP

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Not my game this time but same team in blue.

Hope this works both are the same game but different views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTDossvQHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IsuvKrdF_Y

News Relese by KHSAA
KHSAA ISSUES PENALTIES FOR SPORTSMANSHIP VIOLATIONS
LEXINGTON – Kentucky High School Athletic Association Commissioner Brigid DeVries has announced that football players from Calloway County and Fulton County High Schools have been penalized for violations of the Association’s Sportsmanship Bylaw (Bylaw 11) following an incident during the October 2, 2009, contest at Fulton County High School.

The contest was ruled final with 4:35 left in the game and Calloway County leading, 24-8, after an outbreak of multiple incidents on the field involving players from both schools.

The Commissioner has issued a ruling following a detailed review of the incident by Executive Assistant Commissioner and football coordinator Julian Tackett and after communication with administrators and coaches from both schools.

NFHS playing rule 9-8-1 (k) prohibits non-players from entering the field without the referee’s permission, which occurred in this case. KHSAA Bylaws also apply to athlete participants and school representatives who are subject to penalties contained in Bylaw 33. Penalties include, but not limited to, fines, suspensions and probation, when a player or players leave the bench or team area.

A total of 16 players from Fulton County will sit out a total of 29 games with one player suspended indefinitely while three players from Calloway County will miss a total of three games. A $1,000 fine has been assessed against the football program at Fulton County High School (the maximum amount permissible under KHSAA Bylaw 33). Suspended players from both teams must also complete the Star Sportsmanship Program. In addition, Fulton County has been placed on probation through the 2011 playing season.

“Good Sportsmanship is at the heart of the mission of the Association,” Commissioner DeVries said. “Situations like this one are preventable and have no place in interscholastic sports. It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that a safe environment for athletic competition exists at all times.”

KHSAA Bylaws, in particular Bylaw 11 along with NFHS Football playing rules are discussed and emphasized at required KHSAA rules clinics attended by coaches and officials each year.
Big Ump

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
WOW
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline BIG UMP

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Oh, boy.

Start my season off tomorrow night.  Guess who I start off with.  You got it this game again.
Seasoned crew this time, last year had 2 with 5 years or less.
Big Ump

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »
First game of the season,  three ejections for fighting and 12 personal fouls. 

LJ had two players fighting and stated that a third player came out of nowhere and like a WWE wrestler coming off the top rope landed on the two fighting and started getting in his shots. 

Three other episodes of wrestling no fists but off setting PF's, and a few late hits.  Didn't realize going into the game that these teams did not like each other.  How could I it was their first meeting, I feel for next years crew.

Good job to take numbers and not let up with the flags.

Our summer provincial league has only one rule modification: a combination of 3 PF and/or UNS's (UR and OC in our book) result in a player ejection.  (For basically accumulated BS.)

FredFan7

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »
Not my game this time but same team in blue.

Hope this works both are the same game but different views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTDossvQHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IsuvKrdF_Y

News Relese by KHSAA
KHSAA ISSUES PENALTIES FOR SPORTSMANSHIP VIOLATIONS
LEXINGTON – Kentucky High School Athletic Association Commissioner Brigid DeVries has announced that football players from Calloway County and Fulton County High Schools have been penalized for violations of the Association’s Sportsmanship Bylaw (Bylaw 11) following an incident during the October 2, 2009, contest at Fulton County High School.

The contest was ruled final with 4:35 left in the game and Calloway County leading, 24-8, after an outbreak of multiple incidents on the field involving players from both schools.

The Commissioner has issued a ruling following a detailed review of the incident by Executive Assistant Commissioner and football coordinator Julian Tackett and after communication with administrators and coaches from both schools.

NFHS playing rule 9-8-1 (k) prohibits non-players from entering the field without the referee’s permission, which occurred in this case. KHSAA Bylaws also apply to athlete participants and school representatives who are subject to penalties contained in Bylaw 33. Penalties include, but not limited to, fines, suspensions and probation, when a player or players leave the bench or team area.

A total of 16 players from Fulton County will sit out a total of 29 games with one player suspended indefinitely while three players from Calloway County will miss a total of three games. A $1,000 fine has been assessed against the football program at Fulton County High School (the maximum amount permissible under KHSAA Bylaw 33). Suspended players from both teams must also complete the Star Sportsmanship Program. In addition, Fulton County has been placed on probation through the 2011 playing season.

“Good Sportsmanship is at the heart of the mission of the Association,” Commissioner DeVries said. “Situations like this one are preventable and have no place in interscholastic sports. It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that a safe environment for athletic competition exists at all times.”

KHSAA Bylaws, in particular Bylaw 11 along with NFHS Football playing rules are discussed and emphasized at required KHSAA rules clinics attended by coaches and officials each year.

Wow, that blue team is completely undisciplined. 

Offline BIG UMP

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
Poor team, much better discipline, no athleticism. 

Team is in shotgun formation, center attempts to snap the ball and it rolls over twice.  Not rolls in the air but on the ground.  This happens four times.  Their blocking was more like a middle school and the score was 35-0 with 6 minutes left in the first. 

First quarter lasts 1:05, we have a lightening delay with 11:41 in the second.  Coaches agree to shorten quarters during the delay to 8 minutes and run the clock and have a 5 minute half time.   Complete the, shortened, second quarter and have another lightening delay and coaches agree to call the game.  Official game time 7:00 PM to 9:50 PM, 2 hours and 50 minutes.

I don't want this game next year.
Big Ump