Author Topic: The New 2014 UIL "40-Second Shot Clock"  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
The New 2014 UIL "40-Second Shot Clock"
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
 ^flag

We understand that  tiphat: Manor Road has already weighed in on the 2014 "shot clock rules" and has summarily announced that it would become reality, all the way from High School Varsity downward all the way through 7th Grade "D" games.

Given that we are fastly approaching the threshold of subscribing to 7-Man-Mechanics, the Varsity level itself is going to be quite hard enough, in and of itself, to cover with only a 5-Man Crew, but certainly not nearly as hard as the High School Sub-Varsity down through the Junior High level will be at covering their games with largely only a 3-Man Crew; and more often than not, without the marked benefit of being able to make use of a visual play clock.

I cannot see the Junior High's, nor the Freshman HS Level's rationale in subscribing to this, and I would prohibitively think that there will be some probable disgruntlement from these subvarsity coaches with their  tiphat: subscribing Manor Road principals, Head Coaches and AD's. Perhaps there will be some more UIL exceptions coming forward regarding this after their April meetings!

Just sayin'!
   z^

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: The New 2014 UIL "40-Second Shot Clock"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
Concern about a play clock, ANY PLAY CLOCK, at the subvarsity level?  Really ? 

Since we are keeping it on the field right now anyway, how is this going to be any more difficult for us or more confusing for the coaches/teams. The U is going to be working with the snapper's anyway to help them know when they may or may not snap. Not a big deal IMHO.  At first it will be the same for everyone..they just need to get used to the fact they can snap once the ball is on the ground in most cases.  But in those cases when they can't, we will be able to hold them if it appears they are going to try to snap too early.  For myself, i would much rather use the 40 sec clock in ALL games instaed of trying to do it only for 1 or 2 games a week while I am using the 25 sec clock for 2 - 3 games a week

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
I'm not real sure this is going to be no problems since we are keeping it on the field.  There are a lot of nights with 3 officials on the field, one in his later years and the other 2 less than 2 years experience. 2 of them are lucky to count 11, a false start/encroachment call is a nightmare to sort out,  and the person running the clock in the booth is the coaches 16 year old son.  Manor road lives in a world of automatic clocks and capable people abounding,  come out here and get just a taste of the real world.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
The same guys are keeping the 25 sec clock now.  Why would it be any more problematic with a 40 sec clock (which is likely just being done as a guesstimate) anyway?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
7/8th grades,I have them turn the play clock off!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
The U is going to be working with the snapper's anyway to help them know when they may or may not snap.

What U?

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21:33 PM »
As I stated before, I'm keeping the clock, watching for a sub, spotting the ball, telling the snapper not to snap, counting the offense, counting the defense, looking at my watch, and penalties be danged.   This fits 3 and 4 man mechanics to their very best.   What do we blow off to watch a clock?  I'm going to make a bet right now,  similar to a jv baseball game having open substitutions,  the 25 second clock is going to get used a lot on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:29:03 AM »
I would bet a lot of places are just glad officials show up for sv games, so play clock?  Really?  What play clock? 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:15:22 AM »
As I stated before, I'm keeping the clock, watching for a sub, spotting the ball, telling the snapper not to snap, counting the offense, counting the defense, looking at my watch, and penalties be danged.   This fits 3 and 4 man mechanics to their very best.   What do we blow off to watch a clock?  I'm going to make a bet right now,  similar to a jv baseball game having open substitutions,  the 25 second clock is going to get used a lot on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
I don't understand. If you have the ability to keep a 25 sec clock with all that you are doing why can't you keep a 40 sec clock insted of that ? 

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Concern about a play clock, ANY PLAY CLOCK, at the subvarsity level?  Really ? 

Since we are keeping it on the field right now anyway, how is this going to be any more difficult for us or more confusing for the coaches/teams. The U is going to be working with the snapper's anyway to help them know when they may or may not snap. Not a big deal IMHO.  At first it will be the same for everyone..they just need to get used to the fact they can snap once the ball is on the ground in most cases.  But in those cases when they can't, we will be able to hold them if it appears they are going to try to snap too early.  For myself, i would much rather use the 40 sec clock in ALL games instaed of trying to do it only for 1 or 2 games a week while I am using the 25 sec clock for 2 - 3 games a week

^flag

With the new 40-Second Shot Clock and all of the spread offenses that the coaches are summarily throwing at us, provided that the "U" is going to do that, more especially in 3-Man Mechanics, then we will need to bring the "U" permanently back into the pit, and probably just have the R and HL working the wings.

In any event, You'll have to admit that it dang sure won't be a Sunday afternoon picnic out there with only three of us playing babysitter!  z^
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:06:56 AM by Arbitrator »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
^flag

With the new 40-Second Shot Clock and all of the spread offenses that the coaches are summarily throwing at us, provided that the "U" is going to do that, more especially in 3-Man Mechanics, then we will need to bring the "U" permanently back into the pit, and probably just have the R and HL working the wings.

In any event, You'll have to admit that it dang sure won't be a Sunday afternoon picnic out there with only three of us playing babysitter!  z^

Not really worried about the play clock in subvarsity games, especially if they only use 3 officials. Heck most SV games could not use a 25 sec clock with a delayed RFP. Simply tell them to turn the play clock off for those games and go on down the road.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
^flag

In any event, You'll have to admit that it dang sure won't be a Sunday afternoon picnic out there with only three of us playing babysitter!  z^  It has never been easy with a 3 man crew.  The R can handle keeping the snapper under control.  If he can do it now for late sub situations he can do it for 25/40 sec clock

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
You want to tie hard and fast to a 25 second clock on a sub varsity game in the past?  I really doubt it. Now you want to double down and demand a 40 second clock?  That ain't gonna happen either.  3 men, 4 men, no ball persons, no clock operators, 6 fans in the stands, you think that turning a 32 minute game into a 90 minute cluster is going to be made just lovely by keeping a 40 second clock.  By the third game, coaches and administration are going to be raising holly heck for keeping little Johnny out way too long.  Sub varsity has long been called to as less strict rules interpretation,  I expect no less next season.

If you want to make demands, you better think about driving way out west to take up the slack your demands cause.  No better yet, just let the coaches call the games,  the lawsuit that comes because the coaches let the required equipment slide away will rearrange things.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
What are you talking about? ! ? !  Demands?  What demands?  No new demands are being made.  You do the same with the 40 sec clock that you did with the 25.  If that is nothing, then so be it.  If you were giving them a minute with a 25 sec clock then given them a minute with the 40