Author Topic: Part 1 Exam  (Read 12144 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Part 1 Exam
« on: July 12, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
The Part 1 exam is now available on our state association web site.  This is an open book exam in Wisconsin and must be completed online by 08/17.  We are allowed to print a copy of the exam to work on but must complete the online version in one sitting. 

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Part 1 Exam
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:21:10 PM »
Time for our annual reminder: DO NOT post the exam, or the answers to the exam, on this forum. The  NFHS does not take lightly to posting copyrighted material.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline prab

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »
Time for our annual reminder: DO NOT post the exam, or the answers to the exam, on this forum. The  NFHS does not take lightly to posting copyrighted material.

10-4

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
What if we believe the test has an incorrect answer?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
What if we believe the test has an incorrect answer?
Contact your state office.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »

Unfortunately, nothing can be done.  There is an incorrect answer on the test
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
In FL, our initial test result is preliminary. Every year it seems as if 1 or 2 questions are reevaluated and scores are updated accordingly.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
I guess there are methods to insure that no one scores perfect on an exam.

Hypothetically,
If say, you were an old time white hat, who, hasn't opened up the rules book since 2012,
it would be likely that, as such, you would have missed the 2013 change that deleted loss of down for OPI.

If this were the case, the hypothetical old time white hat would be inclined to select answer number 3 on the jackhammer test!
Why? Because the down would not be replayed, since by (2012) rule;
Penalty Acceptance includes a loss of down! It would be 4th down.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline prab

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

I have contacted my state office and have been unable to convince them that in #65 the down will be replayed whether or not the penalty is accepted.  I have used all of the rationale discussed above and in previous topic "Is the down be replayed?"

To be fair though, they are consistent.  A few years ago I was also unable to convince them that the hash marks DID NOT bisect the yard lines.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:50:48 PM by prab »

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 04:51:51 PM »
Discussing scenarios is fine. Discussing specific questions (referencing question numbers is not).  Don't lose sight of that.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline prab

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »
Discussing scenarios is fine. Discussing specific questions (referencing question numbers is not).  Don't lose sight of that.

10-4.  Mea Culpa!!!

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
So is it inappropriate to report that the NFHS has officially agreed that a particular question was a bad question?   In this case, I have personal knowledge that that is the case. 

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:19:49 AM »
Is their "official acknowledgement" in the form of a press release or is your information coming word of mouth?
- Vince Lombardi

Offline zoom

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »
Is their "official acknowledgement" in the form of a press release or is your information coming word of mouth?
I heard that a memo was already sent out to all of the states, but I haven't seen it in writing.  Would a press release be necessary?

Offline KWH

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
To the best of my knowledge the NFHS has not issued a Press Release in regards to NFHS Football Test Part 1.

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
I heard that a memo was already sent out to all of the states, but I haven't seen it in writing.  Would a press release be necessary?

No, but we are not going to discuss specific question numbers at this time until we see something official from the Fed that is available in the public domain.  "Hearing" a memo has been sent does not qualify.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline zoom

Part 1 Exam
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
The test has been due for some time, at least in RI and CT.  It will be too late to make any difference if the notice hasnt come yet in those states.  I understand not wanting to reveal answers to questions.  But when one of them is demonstrably wrong, I would think the word should be spread immediately.  But I respect the sanctity of the process.

I will only say this... 

Here is a scenario. 

A 2/10 at the A31.  A8 throws a legal forward pass and A61 muffs it in the neutral zone.  Following A61's muff, while the ball is in flight, an official blows an inadvertent whistle.  What are Team B's options?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
FWIW, there are several states where the test is not yet due.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline KWH

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
Here is a scenario. 
A 2/10 at the A31.  A8 throws a legal forward pass and A61 muffs it in the neutral zone.  Following A61's muff, while the ball is in flight, an official blows an inadvertent whistle.  What are Team B's options?

There are multiple fouls on the play, (possibly 4) all against the offense. 
1) Ineligible receiver downfield on A61 (7-5-12)
2) Illegal forward pass by A8  (7-5-2d)
3) Illegal Touching by A61 (7-5-13) 
4) This could also be OPI if A61 Committed (7-5-10)

It would be most advantageous for B to accept IFP and decline all others! 5 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down.

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
There are multiple fouls on the play, (possibly 4) all against the offense. 
1) Ineligible receiver downfield on A61 (7-5-12)
2) Illegal forward pass by A8  (7-5-2d)
3) Illegal Touching by A61 (7-5-13) 
4) This could also be OPI if A61 Committed (7-5-10)

It would be most advantageous for B to accept IFP and decline all others! 5 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down.

I've read 7-5-12 many times, and I've yet to find where an ineligible still in the NZ is downfield illegally. The situation has A61 muffing the ball in the NZ and doesn't say anything about him being beyond it. This also nullifies option 4 for OPI.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Part 1 Exam
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
I've read 7-5-12 many times, and I've yet to find where an ineligible still in the NZ is downfield illegally. The situation has A61 muffing the ball in the NZ and doesn't say anything about him being beyond it. This also nullifies option 4 for OPI.

Plus, the question specifies hat it's a LEGAL forward pass.  That leaves Illegal Touching as the only foul, which B will undoubtedly accept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
Plus, the question specifies hat it's a LEGAL forward pass.  That leaves Illegal Touching as the only foul, which B will undoubtedly accept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed!

Offline zoom

Part 1 Exam
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
So, the IW would be ignored, and the down would NOT be replayed, since the enforcement carries a loss of the right to replay the down.

Offline KWH

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:13 AM »
Yes sir, I AGREE - My post above is incorrect.
I totally glossed over the fact that A61 was in the NZ at the time he committed Illegal Touching.

Illegal Touching will likely be accepted as it includes a Loss of Down, and, if it is,  the IW goes away.

(Additionally, their clearly must have been eligible offensive receiver occupying the same area as A61 since this was reported to be a Legal Forward Pass)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:57:04 AM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline prab

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
No, but we are not going to discuss specific question numbers at this time until we see something official from the Fed that is available in the public domain.  "Hearing" a memo has been sent does not qualify.

I received an email today from my state association (Wisconsin) the pertinent part of which says "From the NFHS:  #65 is bad a bad question ...."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:11:26 PM by prab »