Author Topic: Title 9?  (Read 694 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +21/-13
Title 9?
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
I read where a D2 school recently shut down their football operations - FL Tech (GSC)
I seem to remember back in the day (80's) that if a school had, for example, 10 men's sports they must also have 10 women's sports.
If this is still the case, if this school shut 1 men's sport, is this to say they now have to shut a women's sport?

Offline carol1995

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +48/-5
Re: Title 9?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
I read where a D2 school recently shut down their football operations - FL Tech (GSC)
I seem to remember back in the day (80's) that if a school had, for example, 10 men's sports they must also have 10 women's sports.
If this is still the case, if this school shut 1 men's sport, is this to say they now have to shut a women's sport?

I don't think that's the requirement of Title 9.  I didn't have time to read through all of the FAQs, but the answer to your question should be at this link:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »

It's a little more complicated.

There must be EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES for both men and women. Say football was the ONLY sport at that university, if football has 100 participants, and women's soccer has 20, women's lacrosse has 30, women's field hockey has 30, women's tennis has 20...

If football is eliminated, so are the other 4 women sports.... OR.... new sports are created for the men to equal the women's numbers.

Note that what happened with Title IX, was that more than 400 men's athletic teams were eliminated as a result of Universities needing to become compliant. The sports worst hit have been low revenue Olympic sports such as wrestling, swimming and track and field. This disturbing trend was never intended when Title IX was introduced.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +308/-654
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »

Note that what happened with Title IX, was that more than 400 men's athletic teams were eliminated as a result of Universities needing to become compliant. The sports worst hit have been low revenue Olympic sports such as wrestling, swimming and track and field. This disturbing trend was never intended when Title IX was introduced.

One of the VERY FEW things I remember from Physics is, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction", which often fails to caution some to, "Be careful what you wish for, lest your wish be granter".

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +21/-13
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »

There must be EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES for both men and women. Say football was the ONLY sport at that university, if football has 100 participants, and women's soccer has 20, women's lacrosse has 30, women's field hockey has 30, women's tennis has 20...

If football is eliminated, so are the other 4 women sports.... OR.... new sports are created for the men to equal the women's numbers.

Thx for the insight....what made me think of this actually was wrestling. specifically to my vague recollection in the early 80s several SEC schools dropped wrestling due to title IX